Land Rovers - you gotta love 'em

More
16 Jul 2014 15:30 #1 by PeteFox
PeteFox created the topic: Land Rovers - you gotta love 'em
Just bought the ultimate (for me) big boys toy, don't know why, I don't need it but I had to have it, but everyone needs a 6x6 don't they?

My last Defender was the best vehicle I ever owned and I have been hooked ever since. I've had Toyotas and Nissans and that are good vehicles without character. An Oka has character and is like an oversized Land Rover with rust prone panels thrown in for free.
I picked this one up at today's Grays online auction, 4709km, in unmarked condition. A mud plugger for getting out of our farm in wet weather I guess.

I was bidding on another one initially with only 192km, it had one oil change for every 12 km travelled. The bidding stopped at $37K, I paid less than half that.

I had dinner a week ago with a former Army guy who was part of the evaluation team that looked at the LR Perentie, Unimog and Oka for the military. He told me that the preferred vehicle was the Oka, but it lost out only because the military knew that there was no way that Oka could produce the numbers needed.

It make you wonder what could have been........

Pete

Pete Fox OKA266 MultiCab
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

www.byles.net/www.oka4wd.com/forum/membe...oka-266?limitstart=0
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Jul 2014 08:50 #2 by Paul Scherek
Paul Scherek replied the topic: Land Rovers - you gotta love 'em
Fantastic, Pete, and what a bargain at the price. All Defenders are great fun, full of character, but that 6x6 would be such fun......

More
22 Jul 2014 13:22 - 22 Jul 2014 13:28 #3 by PeteFox
PeteFox replied the topic: Land Rovers - you gotta love 'em
Paul
I'm in Sydney to pick it up, what a hole.
I bought it sight unseen and I'm not disappointed. It was first put into service in 2009 and did bugger all.
In 2009 with 580km on the clock, the chassis rails were replaced with "improved" ones. Ever wonder where your tax dollars go?

The main reason for the 6x6 was the extra width in the cab, the 4x4's are std width. The cab is 200mm wider than a std Defender and a fair bit deeper as the seat goes back a lot further and a fair bit higher inside as well. No more handbrake wearing a hole in my left leg.

This is a bigger vehicle than an Oka, longer and wider with a slightly higher GVM.
I have earplugs ready for the trip home tomorrow.
Pete

Pete Fox OKA266 MultiCab
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Attachments:
Last Edit: 22 Jul 2014 13:28 by PeteFox.

More
23 Jul 2014 06:30 #4 by Joseph Baz
Joseph Baz replied the topic: Land Rovers - you gotta love 'em
Well done Pete,I always had a soft spot for the Perentie,shame Land Rover didn't produce it for the public!!
Cheers,Joe

More
23 Jul 2014 07:19 #5 by PeteFox
I read through the service log book properly last night. When they replaced the chassis they must have stripped it to the bones because they spent 1150 man hours doing it. Don't know what the labour rate was but this was one high cost vehicle. Run that cost across the entire fleet of 1000 6x6's and you can see why defence is an expensive business.
Pete

Pete Fox OKA266 MultiCab

More
23 Jul 2014 09:06 #6 by Paul Scherek
Paul Scherek replied the topic: Land Rovers - you gotta love 'em
Fantastic, Pete, what a vehicle. I never realised that the cabin was wider - my only criticism of the Defender for my needs is that the cabin is too small to allow me to add lots of sound shielding. You are quite right, everyone needs a LR 6x6. Maybe in my next Christmas stocking......

What engine does it use? Never been a fan of the popular Isuzu engine, but I love the TD5 and the 300tdi.

Cheers,

Paul

More
23 Jul 2014 14:53 #7 by wilfried
wilfried replied the topic: Land Rovers - you gotta love 'em
WHOOOOW!!!!
What a fantastic deal.
What engine?
From the design of the steering wheel it looks fairly vintage.
Here in South Africa i have seen only one 6x6 with standard width.
I would love to have one.
Wilfried in South Africa.

More
23 Jul 2014 18:09 #8 by PeteFox
Guys
Engine is an Isuzu 4BD1T, i.e. The turbo version. Seems to go well and will pull away in top from about 40km/hr. No tacho fitted but seems to cruise comfortably at 90.
It has a lot of cabin noise. Only a minuscule rubber mat fitted, the rest is sheet metal between engine/ gearbox and cabin. The first job is to fix this.
Ran flawlessly on the way up, but likes a bit of fuel. Luckily it came with both tanks full.

I am amazed at the attention to detail in the tray construction and the amount of material used. It is all aluminium but some sections are 10mm thick which probably accounts for its 4000 kg tare weight.
If anyone has a use for Rapier missile mounts and Steyr rifle mounts let me know as I have some new ones to give away.
Pete

Pete Fox OKA266 MultiCab

More
24 Jul 2014 04:59 #9 by TH
TH replied the topic: Land Rovers - you gotta love 'em
Pretty impressive, Pete.

I should keep an eye on these military auctions more often, that would make a great mobile workshop.

Cheers, Tony

More
24 Jul 2014 07:49 #10 by outyonda
outyonda replied the topic: Land Rovers - you gotta love 'em
Pete
between the rear wheels, looks like a trailer spring rocker?
can you post some pictures of the suspension & drive set up please
do both rear axles drive all the time? or can you disengage one
are the springs in line or overlap
thanks Brett

ps. I are going through the DOT, engineers rego all the B S at the moment for my 6x6
I have mentioned the Land rover Perenti & get the Derr Wot response!!!
some photo's will be a great help

OKAs 091, 093, 094, 113, 346x6 & 405

More
24 Jul 2014 11:22 - 24 Jul 2014 11:26 #11 by PeteFox
Brett
Pictures of another Perentie. One set of springs is inboard of the other, this allows the axles to be close together but still maintain full articulation.

The drive for the rear axle is not connected all the time. It is a vacuum operated PTO drive that was originally developed for the British Army when they had trailers with a powered axle being towed by a LR 101. There is a second PTO to operate the winch.

Because the 6x6 Perentie was never made as a civilian version, their VINs are not on the national database so transport WA might not have any information on them, which might explain the blank looks.
Pete

Pete Fox OKA266 MultiCab

Attachments:
Last Edit: 24 Jul 2014 11:26 by PeteFox.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Joseph Baz, outyonda

More
24 Jul 2014 13:02 - 24 Jul 2014 13:04 #12 by outyonda
outyonda replied the topic: Land Rovers - you gotta love 'em
thanks Pete,
I did the same overlap with the OKA springs but without the rocker arm, to many moving parts to go wrong!

enough flexibility in standard OKA spring, did this in 2wd
I have FWH on rear axle, it's not turning when not needed.

It's an interesting rocker arm, simple to make if I have to go load share.
My preference for load share is air bag.

the LR diffs look like Dana 60?

OKAs 091, 093, 094, 113, 346x6 & 405
Attachments:
Last Edit: 24 Jul 2014 13:04 by outyonda.

More
03 Aug 2014 08:21 #13 by Peter_n_Margaret
Peter_n_Margaret replied the topic: Land Rovers - you gotta love 'em
Street legal in the UK.
Seen in Scotland recently.

Video clip....

Cheers, Peter.
OKA196 tinyurl.com/OKA196xtMotorhome
Mob.0428171214

More
03 Aug 2014 12:11 #14 by Joseph Baz

PeteFox wrote: Brett
Pictures of another Perentie. One set of springs is inboard of the other, this allows the axles to be close together but still maintain full articulation.

The drive for the rear axle is not connected all the time. It is a vacuum operated PTO drive that was originally developed for the British Army when they had trailers with a powered axle being towed by a LR 101. There is a second PTO to operate the winch.

Because the 6x6 Perentie was never made as a civilian version, their VINs are not on the national database so transport WA might not have any information on them, which might explain the blank looks.
Pete

Pete,is the last diff a high pumpkin or just like the mid diff flipped over?
Cheers,Joe

More
03 Aug 2014 16:04 - 03 Aug 2014 16:07 #15 by PeteFox
Joe
The mid and rear diffs are both "normal" way up. Both pumpkins are the same. The axle tubes are swapped left to right relative to each other.

The nose of the rear diff is rotated slightly upwards to reduce the angle on the uni joint.
Pete

Pete Fox OKA266 MultiCab

Last Edit: 03 Aug 2014 16:07 by PeteFox.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Joseph Baz, outyonda

More
03 Aug 2014 18:16 #16 by Joseph Baz
Cheers,Pete it was such a good simple system I can't understand why LR didn't use it in the civilian market,maybe the military stop them from manufacture it.
Cheers,Joe