fridge types

More
09 Nov 2014 20:40 #1 by Cando
Cando created the topic: fridge types
hi all
not been here for a while, sad to here Hal left us, a nicer bloke you couldn't find.. RIP.

Iv decided to turn my OKA in to a camper and wondering what the best type of fridge is?
I have 3 way in our van and the 12 volt is useless

I hear the best type is the compressor but iv not had one to know. Fridge will work mainly on 12/gas.
any help would be great
thanks
Cando

Cando
XLT-112
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Nov 2014 22:36 - 09 Nov 2014 22:39 #2 by Tony Lee
Tony Lee replied the topic: fridge types
12V mode in a three way need not be useless if a bit of attention to voltage drop is taken. Only ever intended to maintain temperature while driving and powered off the alternator. NEVER from house batteries unless you have huge batteries because they draw from 10 amps to 20 amps on 12V..

Have two and three-way fridges on three vehicles and except when we are on electrical hookups, they run on propane all the time, even when travelling.

Going for a compressor fridge does have advantages - operation on any slope, handles hotter conditions, but does have disadvantages - bit of noise is one, but main thing is the need to dramatically upgrade battery storage (and of course charging) over and above what you would normally require for lights and pump. Add a couple of computers and TV and such, and you will need to be prepared to spend more money on a power system than you would on a decent three-way fridge.

Getting rid of gas completely is even smarter - diesel heating and hot water and diesel cooktop, and of course solar, decent batteries and a compressor fridge. Introduces other disadvantages and like everything, is a compromise solution.

Tony
Last Edit: 09 Nov 2014 22:39 by Tony Lee.

More
10 Nov 2014 07:42 #3 by TH
TH replied the topic: fridge types
Never had much love for gas fridges, probably because they are so useless in 40'C. By far the best 12/240V fridge I have seen for energy efficiency is the eutetic Autofridge.

Cheers, Tony

More
10 Nov 2014 09:52 #4 by Tony Lee
Tony Lee replied the topic: fridge types

TH wrote: Never had much love for gas fridges, probably because they are so useless in 40'C. By far the best 12/240V fridge I have seen for energy efficiency is the eutetic Autofridge.

At the risk of generalising, I'd have to say the main problem is not the three-way fridges, but the lack of skill and attention to detail of those who install them.

Not long spent several days around Las Vegas in temperatures over 100F and that two -way fridge performed extremely well and there was no difference noticed between the temperatures of food then and what we experienced a few months earlier when we had snow on the roof.

More recently, in another US RV we spent time in the Bolivian lowlands where it was over 40C in the day, and little cooler at night, and the humidity was so high we didn't need to have showers, and again, the same brand fridge performed perfectly.

Same results for another 3-way fridge in a German RV in Morocco and southern Spain where the outside temperature was way over comfort level, but the ice cubes were true to name.

Perhaps Australians just don't bother to read instructions.

Tony

More
10 Nov 2014 10:48 #5 by TH
TH replied the topic: fridge types
What breeds of fridge are you refering to Tony?

The word "install" would be our point of difference. I've only ever used portable 3 way fridges and the technology may have advanced. Poor insulation is most definitely a factor.

A Chescold sitting on limestone cap rock with only a sheet of canvas over the top in 47'C probably falls into that bad operator category. But a 12V fridge sitting next to it could still maintain -16'C

Horses for courses :)

#234 had a 90lt Waeco 12/240V fitted not long before we purchased it. Don't think it is very efficient on 12V and when we do eventually refit the camper out I will be looking for something better, so a good 3 way would be worth looking at if it exists

Cheers, Tony

More
10 Nov 2014 13:09 #6 by Paul and Sue Crompton
Paul and Sue Crompton replied the topic: fridge types
Hi Cando, most problems with fridges seem to be with poor insulation and the fridge not being designed for the climate it is being used in. If you buy a new fridge it should be suitable for the climate you are going into. Unfortunately, a lot of sales people can easily misguide you so look at the specs.

For example, my motorhome fridge is an N class and I would expect it to struggle at temperatures over 32 degrees as it was only designed for that. Obviously, the previous purchaser of the fridge did not understand the class rating. In my house, I have a T class fridge which I would expect to work at temperatures to 43 degrees. Please note that a tropicalized fridge is not the same rating as a T class fridge. The fridge in my Oka is an autofridge which has been reliable and is reasonably economical on power.

If you are looking at fitting out your Oka as a camper, the best advice I can give to anyone is to spend some money and buy the "Campervan & Motorhome Book" Edition 2 by Collyn Rivers. This book covers fridges as well as a lot of other information which you will find useful. You can also go to Collyn's website - www.caravanandmotorhomebooks.com - for more information. Collyn is a previous owner of an Oka which he fitted out as a camper many years ago and many people on the site know of him.

PS: I personally know Collyn but I would not recommend his book if I did not find it helpful and informative for myself and other people.

Paul Crompton - OKA 168

More
10 Nov 2014 14:33 - 10 Nov 2014 14:37 #7 by Paul
Paul replied the topic: fridge types
As a camper, weekender or a week get a good ice box, month ish camper get a good twelve volt, 3 month liver get a good elec set up and run 240 volt threw out .

98OK
A0
Last Edit: 10 Nov 2014 14:37 by Paul .

More
10 Nov 2014 17:55 - 10 Nov 2014 17:58 #8 by Peter_n_Margaret
Peter_n_Margaret replied the topic: fridge types
I would recommend having remote compressors to allow extra insulation to be added all round the cabinet.
Better insulation reduces power consumption lots.
I also dislike fridges with those silly little freezer compartments without separate thermostat control. They invariably ice up which kills performance.
We have a 130L all fridge (extra 50mm of urethane) and a separate built in DIY 25L freezer (with 150mm of urethane).

High ambients are rarely a problem.

Cheers, Peter.
OKA196 tinyurl.com/OKA196xtMotorhome
Mob.0428171214
Attachments:
Last Edit: 10 Nov 2014 17:58 by Peter_n_Margaret.

More
11 Nov 2014 04:50 #9 by Paul Scherek
Paul Scherek replied the topic: fridge types
I agree with Peter - a remote compressor fridge with extra insulation makes a large difference. I added just 25mm of high density polyurethane around all fridge panels except the door, and over a three month trip averaged 20 amp-hours per day of current draw. This is a 130 litre fridge-freezer. If I had my time over, I would do as Peter did and have 130 litres all fridge and a separate freezer.

I have 120 watts of solar panels and when stationary this completely supplies the fridge, lights and radio.

The compressor can be a bit noisy, especially the fan, but I put it in an acoustically insulated box that breathes to the outside and it is pretty quiet.

As to gas fridges, it does seem to me to be a bit dodgy having a fire burning in a campervan that gets bashed about over corrugated roads all day. Although the fridge won't be using gas while on the move, that doesn't prevent gas joints becoming loose, just waiting for the fridge to be lit. Not many caravan fridges are really designed for the sort of bashing they get in Australia. All electric fridges are a lot safer.

More
11 Nov 2014 05:47 #10 by Peter and Sandra OKA 374
Peter and Sandra OKA 374 replied the topic: fridge types
We've got a 130l fridge freezer with remote compressor in the Oka too, Vitrifrigo brand, works well especially when extra insulation added to all the sides.
As Paul has mentioned though the current thinking is to run Lithium batteries, as much solar as you can fit on the roof and go all 240v electric running appliances through an inverter. The latest small domestic inverter fridge/freezers are very efficient, well insulated and best of all cost a fraction of a 12v fridge, plus any fridgie anywhere is able to repair them if required.
There are plenty of them running in motorhomes and have been for up to three years now with zero problems as they can be run from an inverter as small as 300watt.
We also use diesel for cooking , heating and hot water, no gas at all so nothing to go boom plus it is hard to get refills these days as swap n go is very prevalent, never mind the ever increasing cost which is forecast to go even higher.
With 500w of solar and 400ah of Lithium batteries we can sit for a week with virtually zero solar before power becomes a problem when camped up.

OKA 374 LT Van, converted to camper/motorhome,
400ah Lithiums, 1100w solar, diesel cooking heating and HWS,
Cummins 6BT, Allison 6 speed auto, Nissan transfer.

More
11 Nov 2014 07:31 - 11 Nov 2014 09:19 #11 by PeteFox
PeteFox replied the topic: fridge types
Cando
I wouldn't touch a gas fridge in a vehicle like an Oka for the safety reason alone. The Oka is not riding like your typical caravan on the bitumen, it's shaking everything about including all the gas joints. Even a small leak is dangerous. I have witnessed a caravan literally explode and the people were blown backwards out the door - the pilot light had gone out and they had lit a match - booooooooooom!! Not worth the risk however small.

Apart from that, the constant search for gas is a real PITA. A 4kg bottle lasts about 2 weeks just running the fridge and you need two of these. Once you're onto the second bottle it nags like a toothache. If you're going out bush for two weeks you need all bottles to be full even if it means exchanging a half full bottle for a full one just to be sure.
Once you go down the gas route you have to have the cabin vented to the outside, doesn't mix well with bulldust roads.

The 12v function in a 3 way fridge isn't for cooling things down, it's just for maintaining temperature while driving. However if you've just loaded up at the supermarket or put some warm beer in there and drive away, no cooling is happening to the overall contents, but the already cold contents are getting warmer just soaking up the heat from the warm beer.

Like the others here I have opted for a 130 litre Vitrifrigo all fridge and a separate chest type freezer. I have added 25mm of insulation all round with an additional 25mm where the fridge is against the outside wall.
I'v never found the noise annoying.
It's a lot more convenient to put an extra solar panel on the roof than mess about with gas IMHO.
Pete

Pete Fox OKA266 MultiCab
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

www.byles.net/www.oka4wd.com/forum/membe...oka-266?limitstart=0
Last Edit: 11 Nov 2014 09:19 by PeteFox.