Darwin to Perth Via Uluru

• Outback Jack
  • Outback Jack's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
More
19 Oct 2015 18:00 - 19 Oct 2015 18:03 #1 by Outback Jack
Outback Jack created the topic: Darwin to Perth Via Uluru
Howdy All,

Only time I can get off is around Mid January.

Was thinking of doing something like the following,

Darwin - Tennant Creek ( Big Day but have friends in Tennant)

Tennant Creek - Alice

Alice Springs - Uluru

Uluru - Kalgoorlie

Holland Track ( Want to do this as spent a a few years around Lake Varley/ Holt Rock as a child )

Then on to Perth.

Leaving OKA in Perth and flying home.

I know it will be real hot and could get stuck if there is any rain, but is this doable in about 6 or 8 days??

Whats are peoples thoughts??

It will be me, 2 children and my possibly my mother.

I don't have a real lot of time to prepare OKA, so it will be going as it is. I will service it, install rear A/C etc.

It only has road tread tyres, but think in the most part this should be ok.
Last Edit: 19 Oct 2015 18:03 by Outback Jack.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Oct 2015 19:45 - 20 Oct 2015 05:53 #2 by dandjcr
dandjcr replied the topic: Darwin to Perth Via Uluru
OBJ, 6-8 days is very ambitious if you want to see anything. A 2 or 3 week trip would be more realistic but mid January would be stinking hot and you probably wouldn't enjoy it.

I would not advise the trip you envisage at that time of year without a lot of pre-planning and Oka preparation, you'll have a valuable cargo.

However, Darwin to Uluru is no problem (except for possible floods), all bitumen.

Uluru to Laverton on the Great Central Road is gravel but is wide with occasional corrugated sections and quite navigable. Hot and dusty, permits needed.

Laverton to Kalgoorlie no problems.

We've only done part of the Holland track as it's narrow and sandy and prone to boggy sections. Be very careful there.

David

David and Janet Ribbans - Oka 148
Oka148 profile here.
Visit our technical and travel blogs: here.
Last Edit: 20 Oct 2015 05:53 by dandjcr.

• Outback Jack
  • Outback Jack's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
More
20 Oct 2015 03:30 #3 by Outback Jack
Outback Jack replied the topic: Darwin to Perth Via Uluru
Cheers David.

The OKA probably doesn't need too much, more cosmetic etc, a decent radio would be good. Rear A/C would be a must.

In total I should have around 10 or 12 days, so can stretch it out a bit.It would basically a express run to Uluru as we have seen/traveled a lot down to Alice.

Heat shouldn't worry us, we live in a Hot Climate, although it will be a dry heat and not humid. However we all have lived in similar dry hot places like we will be travelling. Not sure how comfortable nights will be, but have a plan for a rear A/C for sleeping.

Holland Track would be good to do, however don't want to get bogged anywhere..... That would take the fun out of it.

Will have a Sat Phone with us and would fully service OKA before leaving.

More
20 Oct 2015 15:34 #4 by Ralley
Ralley replied the topic: Darwin to Perth Via Uluru
Lobo that sounds like an awesome adventure. The stress on a vehicle at that time of year is huge with temps constantly in the 40's I would really be making sure the OKA is in great shape . With the right prep and sensible driving these things can be overcome.
Rob

More
20 Oct 2015 23:33 #5 by TH
TH replied the topic: Darwin to Perth Via Uluru
2 Words spring to mind: Bugger that!

I''d go down the coast. It's still gunna be bloody hot but as least you can stop for a swim here and there.You'd want to be pretty confident in your vehicle Lobo, I doubt you'd see much traffic.

Cheers, Tony

More
26 Oct 2015 14:12 #6 by hovernut0
hovernut0 replied the topic: Darwin to Perth Via Uluru
I'm doing the Perth to Uluru and back again in April 9th to 25th, If you can hold out to around the 15/17th to head back (leaving Uluru), then I'm happy to give the Holland a go with you?
Regards, Allan