Cummins engines supply

More
20 Oct 2015 10:57 #1 by darren lilly
darren lilly created the topic: Cummins engines supply
Seen for some time now 6BTs for sale on gumtree from a place called Tea Tree Gully from some sort of religiuos organisation, has anyone bought one from them or know any info on them. Old gensets from trains I think & they seem to have plenty of them

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Oct 2015 14:14 - 20 Oct 2015 14:15 #2 by dandjcr
dandjcr replied the topic: Cummins engines supply
Darren, Tea Tree Gully is in Adelaide only 5 km away from us if you want me to check them out. 6bt-cummins-used-engine-5-9l-diesel-turbo

I know nothing about Cummins engines though, but they seem to be 24v, if that matters....

David

David and Janet Ribbans - Oka 148
Oka148 profile here.
Visit our technical and travel blogs: here.
Last Edit: 20 Oct 2015 14:15 by dandjcr.
The following user(s) said Thank You: darren lilly

More
20 Oct 2015 14:35 #3 by Peter and Sandra OKA 374
Peter and Sandra OKA 374 replied the topic: Cummins engines supply
Darren you are correct, they are industrial versions of the 6BT out of trains. 12v 6bt's rated at 180hp in genset form, mine is set up for around 250hp with a new IP.
There are several of them in Oka's already but they do need a few changes/parts to make them suitable for road use.
Ralley and I both have one, Rob's has done over 30k since being fitted, mine is still sitting in the shed ready to be fitted when/if I ever finish the house reno ;-))) but is pretty much ready to go.

OKA 374 LT Van, converted to camper/motorhome,
400ah Lithiums, 1100w solar, diesel cooking heating and HWS,
Cummins 6BT, Allison 6 speed auto, Nissan transfer.

More
20 Oct 2015 15:23 #4 by Ralley
Ralley replied the topic: Cummins engines supply
As Peter said I've been running one and have clocked up about 30000kms. The price is right but you need to do a lot of chasing for the parts to do the changeover to a truck engine. The one thing I would recommend is to change out the lift pump, the diaphragm pump is a known weak point. Mine failed but I was able to nurse it about 600km were I put an electrice lift pump in to get home. I changed front and rear crankshaft seals and a few other things like that. With 10000kms between services the oil burn is not even noticeable and the oil pressure is good.
It's hard to tell if the engine performs as well as some of the other cummins conversions out there. The only other OKA I've been in with a cummins was Pauls with a manual, mine has a 6 speed Alison. For my application with a combined weight of over 8t the Perkins was not an option, the cummins as is is so much better but I'm in the process of upgrading the turbo and putting a water to air intercooler in take full advantage of the cummins and still be reliable.
Rob

More
26 Oct 2015 14:31 #5 by hovernut0
hovernut0 replied the topic: Cummins engines supply
I also looked at these but the cost of modifying back to road use is prohibitive! far better to get one already out of a road use vehicle, even if you need to recon it. It still works out cheaper.
I found a 4wd workshop who sourced his own supplier, 6BT and Allison auto (5 speed) fully recon, warranty, drive in drive out for 23k inclusive - Southern cross of road in Rockingham, he has already done several of the same conversions in Patrols and after mine will be experienced with OKA's.
Regards, Allan
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ewart and Vivian Halford

More
26 Oct 2015 16:12 #6 by Ralley
Ralley replied the topic: Cummins engines supply
Depending on your cruise speed and tire size I would think about a 6 speed to get the rpm down. I think the cummins is a bit busy in 5th. That's just my 2 cents worth. Even at 8t it's so relaxed with the 6 speed. Very happy

More
26 Oct 2015 19:18 #7 by Joseph Baz
Joseph Baz replied the topic: Cummins engines supply
Allan,$23,000 for a conversion on an XT sounds extremely low specially if all the gear has been recond,just beware.
Cheers,Joe
The following user(s) said Thank You: hovernut0

More
26 Oct 2015 21:12 #8 by hovernut0
hovernut0 replied the topic: Cummins engines supply
Agreed and I am keeping a very close eye on whats happening.
Thanks, Allan