Aluminium bull bar

More
13 Feb 2016 12:50 - 13 Feb 2016 13:43 #1 by Harry
Harry created the topic: Aluminium bull bar
Has anyone looked into Alliminium bulbars for the front of course Oka's . I am thinking about it as it would cut down on weight in the front
has anyone had one made from anywhere ?? Oka's are high enough of the ground , and most vehicles and trucks run Alliminium ???
I am thinking about ringing Mr. Bull bar of Wagga Wagga ...

Oka 045 the WIDE Motorhome 6bt cummins 500 watt solar diesel heating gas cooking up grade LSD front and rear diffs to 4:56 from 4:88 . 320 lt fuel 153 lt fresh water in 3 separate tanks 3 house batteries 1 start battery 176 lt upright fridge/freezer Black dog security
Last Edit: 13 Feb 2016 13:43 by Harry.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Feb 2016 15:23 #2 by Peter and Sandra OKA 374
Peter and Sandra OKA 374 replied the topic: Aluminium bull bar
Harry
I've discussed that same question with a mate who has spent most of his life running an alloy and stainless manufacturing business, his view was that by the time you made the alloy bar to be a strong and durable as the steel version there wasn't much weight saving as such especially with the Oka's need to make the ends very strong so as to be used for the access step.
The centre support section for those with a winch would need to be steel for strength purposes, in fact lots of alloy bullbars are built that way with the bar actually being a "cosmetic" add on.
A good nerf with an alloy bar usually means total replacement as they stretch readily under impact and don't spring back but stay deformed.

OKA 374 LT Van, converted to camper/motorhome,
400ah Lithiums, 1100w solar, diesel cooking heating and HWS,
Cummins 6BT, Allison 6 speed auto, Nissan transfer.

More
13 Feb 2016 16:18 #3 by Harry
Harry replied the topic: Aluminium bull bar
Thanks Peter I just looked at an Isuzu bar and like you said it has a steel base and Alliminium topping .. Thanks again

Oka 045 the WIDE Motorhome 6bt cummins 500 watt solar diesel heating gas cooking up grade LSD front and rear diffs to 4:56 from 4:88 . 320 lt fuel 153 lt fresh water in 3 separate tanks 3 house batteries 1 start battery 176 lt upright fridge/freezer Black dog security

More
13 Feb 2016 16:22 #4 by Peter334
Peter334 replied the topic: Aluminium bull bar
My winch is not at any way attached to the bull bar, it is fitted to the chassie of the vehical, so I pull the chassie and not from the bull bar , aluminium tends to rattle to bits after a while .

More
13 Feb 2016 16:32 #5 by 210greg
210greg replied the topic: Aluminium bull bar
How was Tassie. Any Pics

More
13 Feb 2016 17:09 #6 by Harry
Hi Greg I did not ending up going to tassie . Due to a few reasons . I went to Nymboida which was great and a really nice place . You can see Oka 45 on the east cost gathering .

More
13 Feb 2016 19:52 - 13 Feb 2016 19:54 #7 by Peter_n_Margaret
Peter_n_Margaret replied the topic: Aluminium bull bar

Peter334 wrote: My winch is not at any way attached to the bull bar, it is fitted to the chassie of the vehical, so I pull the chassie and not from the bull bar................

Ditto.
In fact, I cut out the centre 4-500mm of the bumper bar completely.

#196 does not have a bull bar. The bumper is high enough that I don't see much value. The couple of roos that I have hit have gone underneath.

Cheers,
Peter

Cheers, Peter.
OKA196 tinyurl.com/OKA196xtMotorhome
Mob.0428171214
Last Edit: 13 Feb 2016 19:54 by Peter_n_Margaret.

More
13 Feb 2016 20:45 #8 by Ralley
Ralley replied the topic: Aluminium bull bar
My Roo count is 15 and counting and they all went underneath even in the coaster the 2 I hit, hit the bar not up high. Although I did have one go across at eye level once when he thought he was about to be hit. The only thing I have hit above bumper level on the OKA was a turkey and all that was needed was to straighten the wire mesh covering the lights and clean all the blood and guts of the front. At the end of the day the bar really doesn't have that much in it, we are talking a 5T plus truck and if I hit a cow I know i would rather have another piece of steel rather that some light Alloy. It might still be a right of but it has to be better than alloy.
Rob

More
13 Feb 2016 21:17 - 14 Feb 2016 13:18 #9 by outyonda
outyonda replied the topic: Aluminium bull bar
I've taken A cow out with the steel bar, the bar came back & bent the front panels & sprong foward again,
moral of story, we continued on slightly bent bit still going
bar was a write off

the alloy bars are
a one hit wonder, even on trucks not many survive A bull

there is a few with steal bumper & bolt on alloy pipework.

OKAs 091, 093, 094, 113, 346x6 & 405
Last Edit: 14 Feb 2016 13:18 by outyonda.

More
14 Feb 2016 06:52 - 14 Feb 2016 07:18 #10 by dandjcr
dandjcr replied the topic: Aluminium bull bar
Hitting a camel (not as unlikely as you might think these days) might be a good reason to keep the steel bullbar.

We've had a few near misses with camels. This well camouflaged specimen darted out from behind some bushes on the Great Central Road. We missed by only a couple of seconds and hitting a tonne of camel would have been a potential disaster.

David and Janet Ribbans - Oka 148
Oka148 profile here.
Visit our technical and travel blogs: here.
Last Edit: 14 Feb 2016 07:18 by dandjcr.

More
15 Feb 2016 09:13 #11 by DarrenWebster303
DarrenWebster303 replied the topic: Aluminium bull bar
Took the out of my mouth David.

The Ann Beadell & Canning were quite sporting, dodging them a few years back. Keep the steel one Harry for what it weighs in my opinion.

More
15 Feb 2016 11:07 #12 by Harry
Thanks David , Peter and Darren and Rob steel it will stay and besides I can weld steel never tried aluminium
Thanks again guys happy travels and stay healthy

More
19 Feb 2016 17:46 - 19 Feb 2016 17:49 #13 by Alister McBride
Alister McBride replied the topic: Aluminium bull bar
See photo below of my setup. Not at all as strong as the standard but would keep you safe if hitting a camel. I linked it in with bash bars either side of the window and made it pivot so if you want to work on anything in the grill or headlights you can flip it down with the removal of two pins. The bottom section is just 1 1/4" steel tubing which includes the steps, so strong enough for that. It was whipped up pretty quickly so doesn't look very tidy but does the job at the moment... The 'middle' horizontal bar is for spots once i install them (been on the list for 3 years now!). This setup is much lighter, cheaper and practical (for my criterion). It isn't as strong but i feel would keep us safe if hitting an animal in the bush... There would be a lot of other damage with either setup if you hit a camel, just less in the case of the standard bullbar (in my view).

On the note of aluminium v steel, in general, steel is twice as strong and weighs 3 times as much so an equivalently strong aluminium object made just as strong should weigh 2/3 as much. Please note, these details are generalisations and in fact if you get 7075 T6 grade aluminium for example you're looking at a metal nearly twice as strong as mild steel and weighs a third of the weight, so not all aluminiums are the cheap supermarket type you get at every corner store...

My 2 bobs worth... once again.

Cheers, alister
Attachments:
Last Edit: 19 Feb 2016 17:49 by Alister McBride.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paul Scherek