Coming out of the darkness into the light

More
23 Jun 2016 09:37 #1 by Tony Lee
Tony Lee created the topic: Coming out of the darkness into the light
It has been 18 months since I first spoke with Paul and Ian about getting me a 6BT plus auto transmission from the US on his upcoming buying trip. Since there has been no action and last I heard, no buying trip either, I guess that combination is just as Paul predicted - very hard to come by.

So I have decided to follow Robin Wade's original advice to leave the OKA well enough alone and not to mess around with doing major upgrades and accept what I have got as being a very capable machine. Yes, my OKA123 is painfully slow up anything steep but once out on the plains gets along at 100kmph provided there is no headwind so it is fast enough for me.

Perhaps a little sour grapes but it always seemed a bit silly to consider spending something like $40,000 that would not add a single dollar to the resale value of the OKA, just so I could drive an inherently unsafe and unstable primitive vehicle just a little bit faster. Even sillier when I consider that I drive other vehicles (any two of which cost about the same in total as that single OKA upgrade), that are much better equipped and much safer and capable of 150kmph or even more, at 90kmph all day every day without getting annoyed.

Pity, but probably a sensible decision. Bought a new fancy elastic knee brace yesterday to replace a couple of old perished ones that have been helping my left knee cope with lots of clutch actuations, so now just have to decide what to do with that freed-up $39,950.05.

I'll think of something.

Tony

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Jun 2016 11:05 #2 by Paul Scherek
Paul Scherek replied the topic: Coming out of the darkness into the light

Tony Lee wrote:
so now just have to decide what to do with that freed-up $39,950.05.

Tony, is there anything I can do to help??
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tony Lee

More
23 Jun 2016 11:25 #3 by Tony Lee
Tony Lee replied the topic: Coming out of the darkness into the light
I'll put your name at the top of the list if I decide to look for sure-fire investment opportunities. Until then it will sit safely and productively in my pension fund.

Tony

More
24 Jun 2016 08:35 #4 by Peter_n_Margaret
Peter_n_Margaret replied the topic: Coming out of the darkness into the light
I am with you Tony.
I reckon I will stick to the Perkins at least until it is worn out, and I reckon I will be worn out by then as well.
I had the Perkins rebuilt 170,000km ago and it now uses about 1.5L of oil in 10,000km.
The intercooler and new turbo can make quite a difference, and my left leg needs the exercise anyway.

Cheers,
Peter

Cheers, Peter.
OKA196 tinyurl.com/OKA196xtMotorhome
Mob.0428171214

More
24 Jun 2016 14:04 #5 by dandjcr
dandjcr replied the topic: Coming out of the darkness into the light
I like the simplicity and reliability of the Perkins. Off road in low ratio it does all that's required and ours (which is not the original) uses no oil or water between changes.

The new turbo and intercooler should make it a bit better on the highway as well, but we keep off them as much as possible anyway.

David

David and Janet Ribbans - Oka 148
Oka148 profile here.
Visit our technical and travel blogs: here.

More
25 Jun 2016 07:26 #6 by oztrax
oztrax replied the topic: Coming out of the darkness into the light
My boss has a 6bt lying around in good nick
If I bought this for stuff all
How much would it cost for the dark side transplant using original gearbox ?

XT

Regards OZ

More
25 Jun 2016 07:33 #7 by Peter_n_Margaret
Peter_n_Margaret replied the topic: Coming out of the darkness into the light
Depends what sort of 6BT.
Stationary motor or out of a vehicle makes a big difference it seems.

Cheers,
Peter

Cheers, Peter.
OKA196 tinyurl.com/OKA196xtMotorhome
Mob.0428171214

More
25 Jun 2016 15:56 #8 by Peter and Sandra OKA 374
Peter and Sandra OKA 374 replied the topic: Coming out of the darkness into the light
The biggest/most expensive difference between stationary and vehicle use is the injection pump and injection lines. The stationary IP is set up to run at a constant rpm and the governor will keep it at that as the load changes. A vehicle is constantly changing RPM's and the IP is usuallly a different type altogether.
6BT's in industrial use usually have either a CAV or Stanadyne IP and while these IP's are used in vehicle applications again those versions have different internals to the industrial versions.
The early (1st Gen) used Bosch VE pumps like the Oka Perkins has, 2nd Gen used the inline P pump and the later ones used a Bosch VP44 rotary IP.
A fully setup VE pump and injection lines along with the necessary brackets and fuel supply lines will cost you at least $1k in the US and 3-4 times that here in Oz.
Than you have all the other bits and pieces like a/c compressor mounts, alternator mounts, harmonic balancer, cooling fan, belt tensioner etc etc to source as well.
Depending on what its current setup is you may also need injectors and turbo.

OKA 374 LT Van, converted to camper/motorhome,
400ah Lithiums, 1100w solar, diesel cooking heating and HWS,
Cummins 6BT, Allison 6 speed auto, Nissan transfer.

More
26 Jun 2016 16:48 #9 by Joseph Baz
Joseph Baz replied the topic: Coming out of the darkness into the light
Oztrax,give Paul Nott a call with the details of your engine and he will be able to price it for you
Cheers,Joe