to HELL'N back, up OOMBI track

More
14 Aug 2016 10:25 - 17 Aug 2016 13:57 #2 by outyonda
outyonda replied the topic: to HELL'N back, up OOMBI track

OKAs 091, 093, 094, 113, 346x6 & 405
Attachments:
Last Edit: 17 Aug 2016 13:57 by outyonda.
The following user(s) said Thank You: T-Rex 146

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Aug 2016 10:26 - 22 Aug 2016 16:31 #3 by outyonda
5 OKA's

#146 Trev & Mary
#126 Chris & H
#323 Mort & Hilda
#094 Brett & Kev
#248 Rob

apparently the first section to Oombi was a graded road & after that it got tough!!
4 days later we had done 130Km 60 Km was a big day, it was many many moons ago that a grader had been there.

river crossings, mountain ranges washouts, rock walls, it had them all plus. you have to admire the capability s of an OKA, slow& steady they tackled climbed & crossed all obstikal's with ease.

other than 18 plugs in a tyre & tearing the sidewall out of another & an ill fitted windscreen cracked up, #94 done 9500KM without missing a beat & unscathed.

Mort's turbo
on the rock climbs, 60 degree with sheer rock walls, 1st low the Perks clawed there up & over relatively easy
Martyn the same, no lag
the second half, creek crossings, steep banks of deep gutless bulldust, the OKA's would struggle in low range in the sand. Martyn with no low range powered through most of the crossings, that is ware the turbo stood out!!

Last Edit: 22 Aug 2016 16:31 by outyonda.

More
14 Aug 2016 20:19 #4 by Peter_n_Margaret
Peter_n_Margaret replied the topic: to HELL'N back, up OOMBI track
Don't see the pics :(
We drove from Home Valley to Oombi in 2007. Some stunning country.

Cheers,
Peter

Cheers, Peter.
OKA196 tinyurl.com/OKA196xtMotorhome
Mob.0428171214

More
14 Aug 2016 21:51 #5 by dandjcr
dandjcr replied the topic: to HELL'N back, up OOMBI track
Peter, I'm helping Brett with the pics/video.

David

David and Janet Ribbans - Oka 148
Oka148 profile here.
Visit our technical and travel blogs: here.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DarrenWebster303, 210greg, T-Rex 146

More
15 Aug 2016 15:14 #6 by T-Rex 146
T-Rex 146 replied the topic: to HELL'N back, up OOMBI track
Five Okas went from Home Valley to Kulumburu talk about magnificent country but boy what a tough track, took the Carson River/ Striker track. It tested the Oka no end, but they are amazing vehicles and we all got through. For such a big, heavy, lumbering vehicle they are unbelievably nimble, a few times I shut my eyes and thought we are not going to get up this rocky Hill, or get over the boulders in a creek crossing, but each time Rex came through for us, glad I did not have to drive!!, being the passenger was scary enough at times! It is a trip I will always remember, we even had to drive through a bushfire at one stage. Believe the fires are still burning up that way, have been for about 2 months now. We have reems of footage from the "Adventure" that has to be sorted through, wonderful memories, and a great crew we went with.

M
The following user(s) said Thank You: dandjcr, mort

More
17 Aug 2016 16:40 - 17 Aug 2016 18:10 #7 by mort
mort replied the topic: to HELL'N back, up OOMBI track
Hilda and I left Perth for 6 to 8 weeks away but only lasted 4... why you may ask.
we wanted to spend 1 Wk prospecting but it rained non stop from Perth to past Newman so still heading North we ended up in Derby. Hearing about the Gibb river road as a must do and as it is some 600 Klm's we headed out.this was the road where I had ignored warning signs went airborne and damaged diff but didn't notice until I was back on bitumen.
I don't know what is so good about the Gibb river Rd it is a 600 Klm dusty corrugated Highway with more vehicles than the Gt Northern Hwy. I don't like air con and consequently dont have it connected but wish I did so I could close my window.
we ended up in Wyndham and took a drive up the 5 rivers lookout (great view) I had a run in with a group of 4 twentyish youths 3 indigenous and 1 white the three were well behaved respectful and apologetic but the white was mouthy rude abusive and aggressive obviously didnt expect me to stand up to him and it was the other 3 who apologise and took him away.
Travelling down to Kununurra we passed 2 OKA's which turned out to be Trev & Mary and Rob who we ended up meeting the next day in town.
we went to Cape Domett for a couple of days,its a great place for fishing and relaxing.
After returning to Kununurra we were waiting for Brett to arrive before heading to Home valley station and the start of the Oombulgurri/Carson river track little did we know how tough it was going to be.
440 Klm's done in 8 days some days we were lucky to do 45 Klm's I had spoken to Frank just before starting who informed me that it is described as the toughest 4x4 track in Aus. since the community has closed there has been no maintenance to the track.
Tough on vehicles tough on driver and tough on passenger in my case who makes it tough on driver.
I am glad I did it but not looking at doing it again and as Hilda keeps reminding me she is over arid,hot, dusty,rough camping trips and I can do them on my own so I had to promise a trip over east where it is cool, wet, green and populated.
We were to to go to the Bungle Bungles but due to injuries to OKA and Hilda's desire to leave the dust and heat behind we left early but as we passed the Bungles I relented and paid $800.00 for a chopper flight over which is something I would recommend as you see so much more and get an idea as to how big it is amazing.Hilda was happy.
I had some new fuel tanks installed of 165 Lts each as I filled them up from empty I know how much and running dry just to see how many Klm's in each tank so when I filled up (only one tank) at the Roebuck Plains Roadhouse (I would think you have all used this roadhouse) the pump showed 171.4 Lt's I was going to pay but I did comment on how and they need to check their measuring to which the Manager came out and tried to tell me I didnt know how much fuel my tank holds I did tell him they were custom made and to make it worse I estimate I had between 10 and 20 Lt's already in the tank so how can it be that far out he got very aggressive and demanded I pay for what was on the bowser I have reported this to weights and measures.
So if your up that way be careful its not enough to make a markup on fuel but they have to rip you off as well and try to make you feel guilty for questioning it as well.
Injuries to OKA
Something bent to front Diff
Tube seals leaking to front diff
Steering box leaking oil
Hydraulic pump failing
Wiring old and insulation cracking and shorting
Fuel lift pump leaking
Transfer case has failed in 4 low
Handbrake cable broken
All happened after I left home so a lot of work to do and I thought it was over and I could start on body work well i guess its an OKA thing.
I will get photos up later
Martyn
Last Edit: 17 Aug 2016 18:10 by mort.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dandjcr, Dean and Kaye Howells, outyonda, PeteFox, Rick Whitworth, TH, 210greg, T-Rex 146

More
19 Aug 2016 15:06 #8 by Joseph Baz
Joseph Baz replied the topic: to HELL'N back, up OOMBI track
Martyn,I guess you were just unlucky this trip but realistically you can't say "it's an OKA thing" and blame it on the vehicle, this site is the last place that I expect people to bagg the OKAs,running a 20 odd year old vehicle that had a hard life and not doing a rebuilt or preventative maintenance is just waiting for things to go wrong,don't get me wrong I'm no trying to tell you how to maintain your vehicle but really you shouldn't blame the OKA,the main thing is that you both made it home safely.
Cheers,Joe

More
19 Aug 2016 16:46 - 19 Aug 2016 17:08 #9 by mort
JOE I know you used a reason in a previous post that english was your second language so you don't always get the understanding correct or words and/or meaning to that effect but your writing of english appears to be very clear in its meaning, SO now lets get it correct
Never once did I bagg the OKA/OKA'S and certainly NOT on this site but lets look at something you posted recently

You can't even compare with the 4BT(that's not dark side ,just twilight),The Perky is a good reliable oil leaking motor but just not good enough for the OKA
Cheers,Joe (is this not hypocrisy you bagging an OKA but no one else do it)

My OKA never leaked oil until recently but I know where it is from and I will fix it and as far as I am concerned the Perkins engine is good enough for my OKA and many others or is it that because you are putting in a cummins then your setting the benchmark for every one else.

I have always said I dont care what my OKA looks like as long as it gets me there and back and on this trip it got me back.
Now as far as an OKA thing yes you have got one thing right it is a 20 year old vehicle I know how old my OKA is I bought it and I know who owned it and what work it did,DO YOU?.
If you had bothered to ask questions or picked up the phone and had a conversation you may not have written what or how you did but let me tell you what I have told other owners and non owners.
I am not disapointed that these things happened but I wish they didn't happen all at once and other than the diff and transfer case the rest had to happen at some point because they were things that I didnt rebuild replace or upgrade and I still had to get to them. The bend to the diff was MY FAULT I have admitted that in an earlier post I DIDNT TAKE NOTICE OF A WARNING SIGN.The transfer case again is my fault because either from all corrugations or the first part of the track that was worse than corrugations the selector cable came undone and I didnt realise so at a real tough part when under load it jumped out of 4 low and broke teeth again my fault.
Let me ask YOU and every one else do I have to explain myself fully always so as not to get criticized on an open forum I seem to recall you doing this once before.

You said
don't get me wrong I'm no trying to tell you how to maintain your vehicle but really you shouldn't blame the OKA,the main thing is that you both made it home safely.
Cheers,Joe
But that is exactly what you are trying to tell me amongst other things including how to conduct myself on this site.
IT'S AN OKA THING ITS 20 YRS OLD AND THINGS BREAK OR WEAR OUT HOPEFULLY THEY CAN BE FOUND AND FIXED BEFORE MAJOR PROBLEMS HAPPEN>

Martyn
Last Edit: 19 Aug 2016 17:08 by mort.

More
19 Aug 2016 17:13 #10 by Joseph Baz
Martyn,you can jump on my throat all you like but don't forget that I been under your OkA,I saw cables twisted together with bits of insulation tape,a totally stuffed jack shaft that probably still there a very poor go at upgrading suspension pin by fitting an inch bolt right thru,you are right about English being my second language but it never stopped me from communicating in a civilized manner with civilized people,the other point always been my dislike with the Perkins selection for the OKA,I have overhauled at least a couple of dozen Perkins from 3 cyl to 6 cyl and always got a really long life out of them but still think that was the wrong selection,it was all related to costs,I'm convinced that a lot better selection could had happen with more resources just have to look at the NT.And please don't blame the OKA for things that could have been prevented.
Cheers,Joe

More
19 Aug 2016 20:28 - 22 Aug 2016 12:53 #11 by mort
JOE I don't know why you fabricate things but please get your FACTS right and stick to the subject
1. you saw wires twisted together with insulation tape- do you know if they were soldered or not and either way how do you know what is under the insulation tape or do you know if they are even in use and just taped to make neat because when my OKA came out of service all the monitoring and recording equipment was pulled out with wires cut and left bare just like a lot of other OKA'S you will find I have many wires going nowhere and until I can rewire to be safe and neat I have taped.
2. The jack shaft wasn't totally stuffed so don't exaggerate but you say it is probably still there well if it was totally stuffed how have I clocked up sooo many Klm'S but in fact I did get a new one made and replaced within weeks and posted on this site so stick to the facts.
3 A very poor go at upgrading suspension pin with an inch bolt-well FACT I don't have any inch bolts anywhere near my suspension and you know the difference between pin and bolt and so do I but what I do have is properly made and sourced spring hanger pins and neoprene bushes the pins are greasable and installed correctly.
4. I have never said you dont communicate in a civilized manner so why bring that up or are you saying that stating anything other than fact is civil bringing in other things that have nothing to do with the original topic is civil or are you saying that I am not communicating in a civilised manner if that is so well I am only dealing in fact not like you so if that isnt civilized communication then that is what I would prefer.
5. why do you keep insinuating that I blame the OKA is it trying to strengthen your argument well it doesnt work so stop.
In the story of the three little pigs the first built a house from straw but there wasn't any strength in it and it blew away your argument is the same your plucking at straw to strength your argument when in fact all that had to be said was you misinterpreted what I was saying end of story.
Your credibility is suffering.
Martyn
Last Edit: 22 Aug 2016 12:53 by mort.

More
20 Aug 2016 19:07 #12 by Joseph Baz
And just because the three little pigs story is relevant to the discussion,don't blame the OKA for something that you could have prevented
Cheers,Joe

More
20 Aug 2016 22:02 #13 by mort
I must say sorry to all the members and administrators who had to read the last few posts and joe I really feel sorry for you.
Martyn

More
21 Aug 2016 08:30 - 21 Aug 2016 10:15 #14 by mort
So Back on track
Before we left Home Valley Station we had a meeting to discuss the trip and and last minute issues,I had concerns about my front diff and more to the point drivers side wheel which looked more like a vee dub than an OKA although I had monitored and measured the distance from rim to rim over a period but no movement so I put it to the group that if anyone had doubts about its suitability to complete the trip I would be happy to pull out with no ill feelings to anyone but all agreed that there has been no further movement and if it failed along the way then we are all in this together and it will be sorted what ever.
I must say I had some concerns about Brett's vehicle as it had developed a steering box leak that was worse than mine and the the springs had sagged a bit but he felt very confident that it was all ok so we started.
I will say here in case I forget later, Brett has a far greater understanding of what an OKA can do and his vehicle came through all obstacles without any assistance or injuries other than 2 punchers,it says a lot for the OKA and the driver.

Within the first few hours we had experienced a steep, rocky, eroded track (if you can call it that) in some/many places driving in 1st gear 4 low we knew that we were in for one hell of a trip.
In the first day we had achieved some 46 KLM's which continued for the next 4 days. We always found a good campsite and there was never a shortage of water even though it was coming to the end of the dry season to drive through this hot (36 deg) dry, dusty environment then to come across clean fresh at times sweet water with fish and big bities (so no swimming) it was WOW this is amazing,fishing was successful barramundi and black brim were caught I dont have the patience for fishing so didn't take part but did eat yum.

Obstacles were many from steep climbs,rocky track which the rocks had split from either bulldozer or heat and consequently sharp edges which cut the tyres to bits,river crossings dry or wet with rocks the size of footballs, steep declines and the worst was the fine gutless bulldust.some of the dry creek crossings were 3 Mt's deep and the width of the OKA so not much room for a run up so once your in its climb straight out, I had got stuck in one when I lost 4 low and last one through so it was all loosened up and had to be pulled out other than that no other issues.
There was lots of wild cattle I mean unbranded,old tough looking beasts, at one place a wild healthy mob of horses led by a male that kept his fillies at a distance who was prancing around and looking so good,I was surprised at the lack of native wildlife though.
We were getting close to OOMBI and decided to take a side road to the spot where water was pumped to the settlement and as it was lunch time it seemed a good spot. On entering the track I had noticed that the power poles that supplied power to the pump had some damage as these were steel and fairly new my first thought was cyclone damage but also the wire was gone so was it thieves looking for scrap but no the wire was laying on the ground so it was only vandalism but doesn't matter if the community is reopened then the government will pay (our taxes) to redo.
We drove down into the valley only to find this water hole wait a minute it was like a lake on the far side this towering cliff of Kimberly stone (beautiful) the water well if I had my kayak I would have been in that water, on the near side was sand creamy clean river sand in any other place in the world this would have a resort or town maybe some rich man's paradise, the pump was still there and only for power it would still work.

More later

Martyn "It's an OKA thing"
Last Edit: 21 Aug 2016 10:15 by mort.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Joseph Baz, Chalkie, outyonda

More
21 Aug 2016 11:49 - 21 Aug 2016 15:11 #15 by mort
On to OOMBI
Between the water supply and the settlement was some 20 KLM's, we arrived at the top looking down onto the flat ground and the settlement my thought was wow this is good, houses with big shady trees covering I could live here what was the problem and why would you want to leave well we all know what the problem was.The government had spent many millions on replacing and/or upgrading the facilities and made a few contractors rich and it was closed,left as it was and with a bit of cleaning up it could open again.On with the trip past the airfield and into the wilderness again,from here on the going became fairly easy compared to the first half.
On the 2nd day from OOMBI we reached a river I dont know which one by this stage they are all the same just another one but it had good water and flat rocky area to park up so it was decided to spend a day and rest have a good wash and tend to any maintenance issues.
Hilda had demanded I have a shower because I stunk really badly and she couldnt stand to sleep with me anymore to which I replied that I stink no more than she did and I still dont know why she got so angry at my reply anyway I heated some water and with my electric shower pump I scrubed off all the dust and sweat,I have to admit I smelt and felt really good so naked as the day I was born I went up to Hilda to see if she wanted to feel how good I was but that only made things worse,I don't know I just cant work women out.
The next day one of the OKA's had an oil leak at the rear diff cover so pull the cover off and fix before it gets worse and what is worse than a diff with no oil WELL a diff with metal in the housing but to make it worse the head off 2 bolts that hold the ring gear on.
THIS DOESN'T LOOK GOOD but on closer inspection all bolts were loose so first thing was to tighten remaining bolts only to find that the heads broke off 5 more without much effort so 7 out of 12 broken,every one franticly looked through their supplies looking for suitable bolts but none found except 3 of the same size and thread but way too long luckily a grinder was in a tool box so cut bolts to desired length which took care of 3 bolts and with the rest nuts were found and the remaining threaded shaft was screwed in and the nuts on to act as a head but one missing which would make diff unbalanced also the bolts were not of the same grade again look in spares and luckily someone had the same size and thread which was on their OKA holding something on so one less wouldn't matter,now all fixed and can seal and fill with oil.
This would have been a major breakdown if driven much further and if it wasn't for a rest day and an oil leak no one would have been the wiser till too late.The Dana manual does say that the bolts should be replaced every so many Klm's I cant remember the amount which did seem a bit low but after what I saw as soon as I got back I ordered a full rebuild kit for both diffs its nothing to remove the cover so I would suggest you all check your diffs.

More to come later

Martyn "its an OKA thing"
Last Edit: 21 Aug 2016 15:11 by mort.

More
21 Aug 2016 13:29 - 21 Aug 2016 13:33 #16 by Peter_n_Margaret
As I said earlier, in 2007 we drove #196 from Home Valley to Oombi in the company of an 80 series and a 100 series Cruisers. I am glad I was driving the OKA. It took us the best part of 3 days to drive the 85km from Home Valley to Ombulgurri community.
I won't put pics up, because I want to see the ones from this trip and this is their report.
What may be of interest is some idea of historical traffic on this route.
As far as we were aware, only 2 vehicles used this route in 2006. A Customs Department 100 Series and a Police Troopy. I have a video that they made.
In 2007, it seems that there was only one vehicle in addition to our 3 and it went through a few weeks before us.
It was clear to us that it had been a very very long time since any bulldozer or grader had been through. The route also changes a bit from year to year when bits get washed away.
In recent years since the closure of the community it seems that there has been much more traffic, including some tag along groups (at vast expense) and some independent motorcycles, and others.
I would be particularly interested in how permits were arranged. Our group had university research business in Oombi, but it still took a year to organise the permissions.

Cheers,
Peter

Cheers, Peter.
Mob.0428171214
Last Edit: 21 Aug 2016 13:33 by Peter_n_Margaret.

More
21 Aug 2016 16:49 #17 by outyonda
Peter, post your pic's,
I had a new camera, too many picceles to upload, need kid to downsize & will post when done.

the dozer that done the track for you was the last machine there.

the tag-a;ong tours still exist @ $3k a hit

permits is not what you know but who you know!

More
21 Aug 2016 17:01 #18 by Joseph Baz
One thing that I noticed over the past couple of years is that if you are trying to obtain permit as a travel alone party (say 5 veh) on an area where aboriginal tours are operated is just about impossible to obtain a permit without engaging the local guides,a shame really because they are loosing out on tourism in a way of permit fees,it always be people who need to tag along and people who are self sufficient,I have questioned this and they reply was we will need to keep a control over the are so people don't litter and don't wonder off to sacred areas,i understand the spiritual side of things but the litter?,really?.....
Cheers,Joe

More
21 Aug 2016 17:25 - 21 Aug 2016 17:35 #19 by Peter_n_Margaret
This is a slide show on Photobucket. 70 odd pics.
s246.photobucket.com/user/Peter_n_Margar...rson%20River%20Track

And a couple of short video clips....
Coming down one of the many jump ups. Almost as steep as a flight of stairs.

Approaching the Durack River. Nothing special here, but it was one of the few bits of video we shot.

The 100 series trying to drive across the Durack. That tiny bit of water and the round rocks made it impossible. I drove the OKA across and winched the Toyotas through.

Some will also know the Munja Track to Walcott Inlet. I describe that as a "100km per day" track. The track from Home Valley to Oombi I describe as a 30 or 40km per day track.

While we were at Oombi, I took a lift with some locals about 20k north to the Lovejoy Jump Up. There was a huge big hole in it that I reckoned we would need to fill and which would have taken a few days. Also the Toyotas were going to be struggling with fuel if the next part was as hard as the first part (they were both petrol), so Jim (who was a Kununurra local) got the barge in at 'mates rates' to take us back via the river. So we did not see the bit from Oombi to Oomari (the King George River) which was a shame.
The year before in 2006 Margaret and I spent a week exploring Carson Station north to south and east to west from the other end and we later went back there in 2007 again with the Toyotas as far as the King George, mostly to see the spectacular Gwoin Gwoin art there.
Would still like to get down to the Berkley and camp there for a week or 2 to do some fishing and relax.

Cheers,
Peter

Cheers, Peter.
Mob.0428171214
Last Edit: 21 Aug 2016 17:35 by Peter_n_Margaret.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mort, outyonda, OKA 138, T-Rex 146

More
21 Aug 2016 17:52 #20 by mort
We dont need to put up photos as peter has covered the first part just with more water.
Peter it doesn't look much different and even the truck is still there.

More
21 Aug 2016 18:04 #21 by outyonda
Thanks Peter, & you fella's had a freshly graded track!!not