And we worry about the fuel economy for an OKA.........

• Outback Jack
  • Outback Jack's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
More
27 Oct 2016 18:20 - 27 Oct 2016 18:22 #1 by Outback Jack
Outback Jack created the topic: And we worry about the fuel economy for an OKA.........
Check out some of the fuel consumption figures......

1977 Avis rentals

Attachments:
Last Edit: 27 Oct 2016 18:22 by Outback Jack.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rick Whitworth

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Oct 2016 04:43 #2 by Peter and Sandra OKA 374
Peter and Sandra OKA 374 replied the topic: And we worry about the fuel economy for an OKA.........
But with a lot of those older vehicles it didn't matter whether they were empty or loaded fuel consumption stayed pretty steady. Try loading up a late model V6 with what our parents used to cart on camping holidays and see what happens to the fuel consumption, I'd bet they would use a more than the old cars.
I've never worried about the Oka's fuel consumption, if you want to drive a light truck weighing nearly 6 tonne, with all the comforts of home with the aerodynamics of several brick outhouses then it is going to use fuel. The more it weighs and the further you push the accelerator down the more fuel it uses. Even more aggressive tires will use more fuel. Years ago on a troopy I tried two sets of tires from the same manufacturer, same size, virtually the same case, one a muddy and one a AT/HT pattern the difference was about 2 mpg worse on the muddy pattern.

OKA 374 LT Van, converted to camper/motorhome,
400ah Lithiums, 1100w solar, diesel cooking heating and HWS,
Cummins 6BT, Allison 6 speed auto, Nissan transfer.

• Outback Jack
  • Away
More
28 Oct 2016 05:37 #3 by Outback Jack
Outback Jack replied the topic: And we worry about the fuel economy for an OKA.........
Yer I am not fussed about fuel economy in the OKA. Actually they are pretty good considering weight etc.

When you consider older cars dont have EFI etc, they where pretty good on fuel all things considered.

More
28 Oct 2016 07:36 #4 by outyonda
outyonda replied the topic: And we worry about the fuel economy for an OKA.........
&fuel was 40 cents a litre !!

OKAs 091, 093, 094, 113, 346x6 & 405

More
28 Oct 2016 19:13 #5 by Joseph Baz
Joseph Baz replied the topic: And we worry about the fuel economy for an OKA.........
Even if you look at the fuel consumption a loaded OKA will ride better than half of the cars in the Avis poster loaded for cruising
Cheers,Joe

More
28 Oct 2016 19:39 #6 by Hank Onthewater
Hank Onthewater replied the topic: And we worry about the fuel economy for an OKA.........
I think there is saying that goes something like this:
"If you need to enquire about fuel consumption, you can't afford it"

By all means enquire about the range........

On a more realistic note, I think OKAs are pretty frugal, when driven conservatively..... hehehe, is there then another way of driving an OKA?

More
29 Oct 2016 04:51 #7 by Peter and Sandra OKA 374
Peter and Sandra OKA 374 replied the topic: And we worry about the fuel economy for an OKA.........
Discussions like this always remind me of one of our early trips in 1978 in a 1970 3 speed FJ40 Landcruiser to Fraser Island for three weeks. We carried as much fuel as we could with us from the mainland as while fuel on the mainland was 17 cpl, on the island it was 25 cpl and there was no way we were going to pay that exhorbitant price any more than we needed to!
My first big trip in the shorty was in late 1974, a mate and I (both 20 y/o) headed for Darwin in late December. After a few days travel up through Qld we awoke on Christmas morning in Barcaldine to find that our intended destination was virtually no longer there. Without much discussion at all it was decided that we would rejoin our families at their annual holiday at the beach on the NSW coast ASAP, we both had no idea it could get so hot outback.
We could easily get through 20l of water between us each day, the petrol was bubbling in the fuel tanks by mid afternoon, no insulation and a bare steel floor made an egg carton floor a necessity to prevent burns to our thong clad feet, opening a can of food straight out of the back of the shorty resulted in blistered lips even after sunset and sleep was nigh on impossible as the temp rarely dropped below 35!
These days if the truck needs fuel we just fill it, no good worrying about the cost, fuel is possibly the cheapest now than it has been for a while too.

OKA 374 LT Van, converted to camper/motorhome,
400ah Lithiums, 1100w solar, diesel cooking heating and HWS,
Cummins 6BT, Allison 6 speed auto, Nissan transfer.

More
29 Oct 2016 06:01 - 29 Oct 2016 06:03 #8 by dandjcr
dandjcr replied the topic: And we worry about the fuel economy for an OKA.........
Hank and Peter are right, on our trips fuel discussion is all about capacity, range and availability, rarely cost.

Over the past 12 years, our outback trips have averaged 3 months and 14,000 km each which amounts to around $3.5k per trip in fuel cost (equivalent to a couple of economy flights to Europe/US).

If you compare that with other forms of vacation travel (eg 3 months in Europe, an international cruise, a round the world flight) our trip costs are quite modest and we often quip that it's cheaper than living at home. And if you add in freedom of movement, range of environments, lower stress levels and relative peace and quiet, it's no wonder so many people hitch up the caravan or motorhome and travel around here (or come here from OS to do the same).

Our Oka is pretty heavy (approaching 6t) and we rarely exceed 80/85kph, and overall our fuel consumption has been around 6.5 to 7.5 km/l (15l/100km, 20mpg). Our caravan friends with a "normal" 4wd ute (Triton, Navara, BT50) pulling a van always exceed these figures, quoting 20+l/100km. They might have the advantage of being able up uncouple the van for local travel but they are largely excluded from the outback locations we visit.

So we are quite happy with the "fuel cost to recreational value" ratio of our Oka.

David

David and Janet Ribbans - Oka 148
Oka148 profile here.
Visit our technical and travel blogs: here.
Last Edit: 29 Oct 2016 06:03 by dandjcr.

• Outback Jack
  • Away
More
29 Oct 2016 07:22 #9 by Outback Jack
Outback Jack replied the topic: And we worry about the fuel economy for an OKA.........
I put the original post up as tongue in cheek.....

As others have mentioned, if your worried about the fuel economy of an OKA, well any travelling vehicle. Then maybe its better to stay home.....

Just posted it for some reflection/history. I wasn't really being serious
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rick Whitworth