Tasmania

More
31 Oct 2016 10:48 #1 by Noel
Noel created the topic: Tasmania
Hi Everyone

Jan and I are planning a trip to Tasmania in late February for four weeks and as i know many of our members have done this trip before if anyone has any suggestions of must see places or any little known free camps we would welcome any suggestions

Thanks in anticipation

Noel & Jan OKA 356

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Oct 2016 16:02 #2 by Peter_n_Margaret
Peter_n_Margaret replied the topic: Tasmania
Great place to explore x 4WD. All the forests are open, for a start.
We need to go back.....
s246.photobucket.com/user/Peter_n_Margar...deshow/06%20Tasmania

Cheers,
Peter

Cheers, Peter.
OKA196 tinyurl.com/OKA196xtMotorhome
Mob.0428171214
The following user(s) said Thank You: Noel

More
01 Nov 2016 05:24 #3 by OKABloke
OKABloke replied the topic: Tasmania
I use Wiki Camps, GeoWiki and Camps Australia Wide between the 3 of the there are a great source of free camping
Download GeoWiki Maps to your device before you go so if no phone service you still have access to the service

For Sale:
XT and LT Parts and Service Manuals Available on CD or Download. $150.00 Set

OKA 4x4 Facebook Page
www.facebook.com/groups/1597409843913222/

David
The following user(s) said Thank You: Joseph Baz

More
01 Nov 2016 05:55 #4 by Noel
Noel replied the topic: Tasmania
Thanks Peter will do

More
01 Nov 2016 05:57 #5 by Noel
Thanks David, we are really looking forward to the trip and hope to get to some remote camps, I just hope 4 weeks is long enough

Noel

More
01 Nov 2016 23:51 - 02 Nov 2016 00:06 #6 by PeteFox
PeteFox replied the topic: Tasmania
From a local.

Before moving here we spent around 4-6 months a year every year since 2008 camping throughout Tas. Best time to visit Tassis is Feb, Mar and April as the weather is more settled and the tourists have largely gone home.

Below is a list of what in my opinion are 10 of the best campsites in Tasmania, apart from those the we don't tell anyone about

1. Granville Harbour, west coast fishing town. north of GH there is a public track that runs north to the Pieman River. Is is 4WD only, about 30k long. There are hundreds of campsites along its length with ocean front or behind the dunes. tracks diverge everywhere. KEEP TO THE HIGH GROUND.
2. Arthur River, west coast. National Park operated campgrounds. some in NP, some in conservation area. Sites range from isolated to in town with flushing toilets
3. Black River Campground, NP operated in conservation area, North Coast
4. Little Mussleroe Bay. Far NE coast. Small isolated campground in sheltered area, sites run down to water.
5. Bay of Fires Conservation Area. North coast, north of St. Helens. Half a dozen NP operated grounds spread throughout. IMO the best is Cosy Corner.
6. Chain of Lagoons, NP operated, east coast south of St Helens
7. Cloudy Bay on Bruny Island. Drive along hard sand beach to NP operated camp
8. Cockle Creek. The furtherest south you can drive in Oz. spectacular beaches, great walks.
9. Mt Field NP. Campground at Park Headquarters. Very structured, but well maintained, hot showers and power. Great Walks.
10. Lagoon of Islands. Bush campground with no facilities. Hydro owned, closed when dam spilling. Off Interlaken Rd south of Liawenee (A5)_ in the highlands

Camping is tolerated pretty much anywhere in Tas as long as you are sensible. we have never been moved on. Most towns have a free stopover, some with hot showers. St Helens, Fingal, St Marys. Kempton, Bothwell. some even have free power, Kempton, Fingal..
If you have a tablet, download a copy of WikiCamps, it is the best app for Tassie.

Pete

Pete Fox OKA266 MultiCab
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

www.byles.net/www.oka4wd.com/forum/membe...oka-266?limitstart=0
Last Edit: 02 Nov 2016 00:06 by PeteFox.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OKAPETE, Joseph Baz, Stephen Knowles, Russ Phelan, Rick Whitworth, Ewart and Vivian Halford, DarrenWebster303

More
03 Nov 2016 15:38 #7 by Noel
Thanks for that Pete, we are really looking forward to this trip I feel that 4 weeks might not be long enough but we can always come back another time when we retire

Thanks again

Noel