Slow 110

More
11 Jan 2017 09:59 #1 by Cando
Cando created the topic: Slow 110
Hi all
Havent used 112 for some time,currently on extended break for january at a minimum.
Having just driven across the top end from NT to QLD we come across head winds and WOW she nearly went backwords. I havnt driven 112 for bout 2 yrs and forgot what happens with a head or side wind.traveling at 100 easily on flat NT roads with nowind you end up in 4th and 70ks with the wind. Its just crazy.

Id be interested in hearing how other OKAs with standard motors go in a head wind. The cost to upgeade is not an option at the moment but id still be curious to find out if mine is just buggered or others have the save terrible experience.

Happy trails

Cando
XLT-112

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Jan 2017 11:46 #2 by OKA 138
OKA 138 replied the topic: Slow 110
I would doubt there is much wrong with your engine in its standard form.I have driven trucks with 600hp that hold 100kph with little wind but get a side or head wind particuly on a hot day your gearing down to take the pressure off,if you repowered I.m sure there will be a few on here that will tell you they now hold 100 in all conditions but I bet they pay for it at the bowser.

Cheers Dave

More
11 Jan 2017 12:09 - 11 Jan 2017 12:12 #3 by Peter and Sandra OKA 374
Peter and Sandra OKA 374 replied the topic: Slow 110
Ditto for Dave's comments but there are a few things to check which I did when I first bought 374 as it just didn't go either.
1/ Check that the accelerator actually does give full throttle at the injection pump when flat to the floor, 374 was only getting about 3/4 throttle.
2/ Check air cleaner condition, is it clean etc?
3/ Change the fuel filter if not done recently.
Check all the orifices for air and exhaust amazing what mud wasps can block!
Fuel quality can also make a big difference, cheap or old fuel often has a lower cetane rating which means less bang for you buck.
Tyre pressures?
Repowering will give you more go but as Dave said the wind still slows it down but you can just push the pedal a bit further then which will give increased speed rather than just increased noise. The fuel consumption also seems to be less despite the two extra cylinders.

OKA 374 LT Van, converted to camper/motorhome,
400ah Lithiums, 1100w solar, diesel cooking heating and HWS,
Cummins 6BT, Allison 6 speed auto, Nissan transfer.
Last Edit: 11 Jan 2017 12:12 by Peter and Sandra OKA 374. Reason: addendum

More
11 Jan 2017 13:25 #4 by John and Bronwyn
John and Bronwyn replied the topic: Slow 110
Same as comments above, also high air temperature makes a big difference. There is a reasonably steep hill on the way home to here, on a 20 deg day it will happily climb in 3rd but 35 degrees means no option - back to 2nd, with or without aircon.
Martyn (Mort) has done a power of work on re-turboing the Perky, lots of info. I have done the turbo but not the intercooler and air filter mods suggested, and it makes a very useful difference. The others add more again. Details in another thread.
Or, repower.
A help to see if the Perky is behaving as it should is a boost gauge, expect about 12 to 15 psi near maximum revs in standard trim. If less, check Peter's suggestions.

More
11 Jan 2017 13:47 - 11 Jan 2017 13:48 #5 by Peter and Sandra OKA 374
Peter and Sandra OKA 374 replied the topic: Slow 110
John's point about temps is very valid too, if you have changed the vehicle config and added weight since the last trip that will add to the load as well, any external additions which increase the frontal area or wind load like roof racks etc.
You're welcome to call in here as you head south, space to camp etc if required, give me a ring.

OKA 374 LT Van, converted to camper/motorhome,
400ah Lithiums, 1100w solar, diesel cooking heating and HWS,
Cummins 6BT, Allison 6 speed auto, Nissan transfer.
Last Edit: 11 Jan 2017 13:48 by Peter and Sandra OKA 374. Reason: addendum

More
11 Jan 2017 18:49 - 11 Jan 2017 19:01 #6 by Rick Whitworth
Rick Whitworth replied the topic: Slow 110
Cando,
could be worth checking your injector pump or even better have a reputable diesel mechanic with a dyno tune it.
Made a huge difference to my OKA. I was not aware that I had a stuck pin that meant no fuel increase to match boost compensation.
see Free Up Injector Pump Pin and tune up sections in Episode 4 .pdf attachment here
Rick
Last Edit: 11 Jan 2017 19:01 by Rick Whitworth.

More
12 Jan 2017 16:15 #7 by mort
mort replied the topic: Slow 110
Hi Cando
Yours sounds just like mine when I picked it up and drove back from Qld.
unfortunately it seems that the Perkins was never tuned to suit the vehicle, unless of course you can remember it going better in that case you can check for water in tank due to sitting for 2 yrs and the NT humidity also maybe sucked up to filter.
check air filter as the fine dust deposited on filter with high humidity can solidify blocking filter.
The diesel fuel is only an oil and doesn't degrade like petrol but can with warm humid conditions get a fungus growing which can cause trouble with injector pump and injectors.
If every thing else that has been suggested is Ok then what you have is what you get but you can do some changes to improve the performance.
Check at least the posting about Turbo upgrade in particular Rick and Johns results with retuning etc.
Martyn "its an OKA thing"