Rego increase is a bit dramatic

More
02 Feb 2017 10:59 - 02 Feb 2017 11:01 #2 by dandjcr
dandjcr replied the topic: Rego increase is a bit dramatic
Tony, in SA cars can be registered for 3 or 12 months, heavy vehicles (inc Okas) can be registered for 3, 6, 9 or 12 months. Very convenient for annual 2-4 month trips and long upgrade periods in between, although road testing is restricted. No inspections if expired either.

$1124 for 12 months as a "caravan body" here so you're not doing so bad. ($294 for 3 months).

David

David and Janet Ribbans - Oka 148
Oka148 profile here.
Visit our technical and travel blogs: here.
Last Edit: 02 Feb 2017 11:01 by dandjcr.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Feb 2017 11:35 #3 by Peter_n_Margaret
Peter_n_Margaret replied the topic: Rego increase is a bit dramatic
In SA we can also have "Seasonal" registration where you simply let it expire and re register when you need to use the vehicle again. No price penalty.
We left the OKA unregistered for 6 months each year when we were in Europe.
I recently re registered a trailer that had been unregistered for about 9 years. All done on line and instant.
Use our address and I will go you halves in the savings.............. :)

Cheers,
Peter

Cheers, Peter.
OKA196 tinyurl.com/OKA196xtMotorhome
Mob.0428171214

More
02 Feb 2017 17:29 #4 by Outback Jack
Outback Jack replied the topic: Rego increase is a bit dramatic
Bit similar here.

Just over 1k to register a year.

Vehicle has to have a Roadworthy every year. However you can do rego for 3 months etc. So during wet season, you dont really bother. Just registering it for Dry.

More
03 Feb 2017 02:24 #5 by Tony Lee
Tony Lee replied the topic: Rego increase is a bit dramatic
I looked into the situation in WA and it seemed as if seasonal rego was available for certain classes of vehicles used in agriculture, it didn't seem to apply to OKAs.

Yes, can get 3,6,12 month rego in WA, but what is involved in re-establishing it if you take 3 months and let it lapse?

Tony

More
03 Feb 2017 07:32 #6 by Peter_n_Margaret
Peter_n_Margaret replied the topic: Rego increase is a bit dramatic
No annual inspections in SA either.

Cheers,
Peter

Cheers, Peter.
OKA196 tinyurl.com/OKA196xtMotorhome
Mob.0428171214

More
03 Feb 2017 10:23 - 03 Feb 2017 10:24 #7 by mort
mort replied the topic: Rego increase is a bit dramatic
Yes there has been an increase in fees,I believe it is for a trauma fund so anyone injured (seriously) can still have quality of life so we all pay even for the idiots who have no regard for other users on the road.It is a good thing but every vehicle pays even like me who has a number of them and can only use one at a time,or owners who dont live in the state but take advantage of the possibly lowest fees in the country add to that no annual inspection and can pay on line from anywhere in the world.An owner can still drive 2 weeks after a fee is due or can still pay and renew 2 weeks after that but cant drive on the road so all in all it seems pretty good to me.
Where it dosnt seem fair is when our esteemed deputy premier Lisa Harvey just used $1.5 mil from that fund to bail out a rugby team who is really a business or when the bulk of the GST collected in this state goes east to bail out NSW and VIC, fees need to go up to compensate, so the solution is for all OKA owners to bring their vehicles over here put them over the pits change the rego to WA and pay the low fees but live over east and take advantage of what the best state has to offer and in return all these OKA's will be driving around advertising by way of rego plates WA its a win win
Martyn "its an OKA thing"
Last Edit: 03 Feb 2017 10:24 by mort.

More
04 Feb 2017 00:30 #8 by Tony Lee
Yes Martyn, but there is a significant risk because all it takes is for a policeman to compare license with rego and decide (rightly) that the vehicle is not registered in the right state and write out a ticket for araund $1000.

Tony

More
04 Feb 2017 06:40 #9 by outyonda
outyonda replied the topic: Rego increase is a bit dramatic
reckon you have something to wine about!! try farming.

tractors, machines, trucks, utes, trailers, 30 odd vechles x $ 100
regos have doubled since 2013

farm ute 2013 $ 35, now $205

OKAs 091, 093, 094, 113, 346x6 & 405
The following user(s) said Thank You: 210greg

More
04 Feb 2017 08:27 #10 by Tony Lee
Yes, but they all make pots of money for you ;-))) whereas my 7 vehicles are all purely for pleasure.

Not all bad though because two are permanently registered at an initial once off cost of $200 each and one is registered and insured only when I use it.

Tony

More
04 Feb 2017 17:16 #11 by Peter334
Peter334 replied the topic: Rego increase is a bit dramatic
Well its not a OKA thing its just that the goverment want more money for doing nothing .our rego in vic is $888 for 12 mths but my road bike is $550 for 12 mths and it only weights 180 kg not 4.8 t so if you work it out my bike is dear and the oka cheap in vic we also pay for dick heads think that its ok to ride with only a helmet come off and turn to spaghetti on the road and they think its fine i have a road tax of $50 for that per year ?

More
05 Feb 2017 07:40 #12 by mort
Hi Tony I dont think you would have much to worry about as I dont believe there is a law that prevents someone owning a vehicle from one state and living in another and or driving or parking anywhere as long as it is registed to an address in the state of rego and current rego it is also cheaper if it can be registed as a camper/mobile home by about $300.
Martyn "its an OKA thing"

More
05 Feb 2017 07:49 #13 by mort
Hi Peter you are spot on its all about revenue raising so the pollies have more money to waste.It is state election time now so more now than ever we look back at the waste of the past term pointed out by the opposition.All we do is kick out the current party and vote in the next who are no better and so the cycle begins again.
Martyn in this case its a complacency thing.

More
05 Feb 2017 08:53 #14 by Tony Lee
Martyn, I am pretty sure that all states have uniform laws that state you can be in another state for up to three months before having to change your license and rego to the new state. I imagine having license and rego in different states might be a dead giveaway, as would having another vehicle registered in the other state.
Different if you are on the road moving from state to state, but you do hear occasional stories about nsw police issuing pretty big fines as it is considered an unregistrred vehicle offense.

Tony

More
05 Feb 2017 08:58 - 05 Feb 2017 21:47 #15 by outyonda

Tony Lee wrote: Yes, but they all make pots of money for you ;-))) whereas my 7 vehicles are all purely for pleasure.

Don't know what planet your on Tony
12 years drought, high bankruptcy & suicide rate, low commodity prices, high & rising inputs!!

Don't know ware the POT,s & MONEY are; chef,s & pleasure seekers must have it ??

Last Edit: 05 Feb 2017 21:47 by outyonda.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 210greg

More
05 Feb 2017 11:04 #16 by Dean and Kaye Howells
Dean and Kaye Howells replied the topic: Rego increase is a bit dramatic
Don't know what you lot are all whingeing about :), The Oka's 25 this year isn't it?, this makes it suitable for historic rego in Victoria for a considerable rego saving. :))
As for rich farmers (apart from moneybags Brett) the only ones over here are the Collins St types who've never done a days honest work in their lives.

Deano :)

More
05 Feb 2017 15:30 #17 by 210greg
210greg replied the topic: Rego increase is a bit dramatic
Tony the way I see it either pay the rego or don't drive it appears you have seven to choose from pick one and forget about the rest.

More
06 Feb 2017 04:33 #18 by Peter and Sandra OKA 374
Peter and Sandra OKA 374 replied the topic: Rego increase is a bit dramatic
He does exactly that Greg, one on every continent, so when ones in use the others are resting awaiting the best season to be used.

OKA 374 LT Van, converted to camper/motorhome,
400ah Lithiums, 1100w solar, diesel cooking heating and HWS,
Cummins 6BT, Allison 6 speed auto, Nissan transfer.

More
06 Feb 2017 06:34 #19 by Chris James
Chris James replied the topic: Rego increase is a bit dramatic
Hello all, we bought #96 in WA 10 years ago and registered it to an address there. The only licence that I have ever had has been in QLD. In those 10 years we have been pulled over 5 times,3 in WA for 2 licence checks and 1 RBT and in QLD for 2 RBT. In every case the cop looked at our rego,asked for my licence,went to his car and fed his computer. Then in every case he came back and said thankyou sir,have a nice day. Chris.

Chris & Shirley 096
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dean and Kaye Howells, Rick Whitworth

More
06 Feb 2017 11:18 - 06 Feb 2017 11:26 #20 by Tony Lee
As always, there is the law and then there is what you are lucky enough to get away with.

From Qld Gov site "If you move to Queensland from another state or territory, you must get Queensland registration and a Queensland driver licence. You have 14 days to register your vehicle in Queensland and may be fined if you don’t."

NSW has very similar rules and I'd be surprised if any state doesn't. NSW says
"Vehicles kept or garaged in NSW are required to be registered in NSW. If not, they are considered to be unregistered and cannot be driven (or towed in the case of a caravan or trailer) on NSW roads. You should also be aware that substantial penalties apply if you drive an unregistered or uninsured vehicle.

NSW Police hold the view that interstate registered vehicles kept or garaged in NSW are not 'temporarily' in NSW and are therefore 'unregistered'. As such, if the operator of that vehicle holds a NSW driver’s licence or is resident in NSW, and drives or uses the vehicle on NSW roads, they may be issued with a penalty notice."

For an OKA it is $1,372 and 4 demerit points

As Clint said "do you feel lucky punk?"

So far so good.

Don't know what planet your on Tony
12 years drought, high bankruptcy & suicide rate, low commodity prices, high & rising inputs!!

Gotta be the lifestyle then

Tony
Last Edit: 06 Feb 2017 11:26 by Tony Lee.
The following user(s) said Thank You: outyonda

More
06 Feb 2017 12:28 - 06 Feb 2017 12:53 #21 by outyonda

Last Edit: 06 Feb 2017 12:53 by outyonda.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dean and Kaye Howells, Rick Whitworth, 210greg