Bottled Gas Supplies

More
21 Feb 2017 20:35 #1 by dandjcr
dandjcr created the topic: Bottled Gas Supplies
For those who use bottled gas on your travels, this is a very good website listing over 1500 gas bottle refillers (and swappers) around the country with comparative prices (mid 2015 and later). I didn't realise they varied so much.

(Sourced from the CMCA Wanderer magazine).

David

David and Janet Ribbans - Oka 148
Oka148 profile here.
Visit our technical and travel blogs: here.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rick Whitworth

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Feb 2017 15:50 #2 by Lang
Lang replied the topic: Bottled Gas Supplies
David

Do you and everyone else get driven insane by the variations in bottle sizes at swap shops.

I have two different size bottle carriers on the OKA and both at present have zip ties holding the brackets together because the bolts don't fit.

Lang

More
23 Feb 2017 16:28 #3 by dandjcr
dandjcr replied the topic: Bottled Gas Supplies
Lang, I'm annoyed over the increasing prevalence of swap shops over refillers.

I have 2 x 4.5kg gas bottles (C2003) on our Oka for which I made bespoke carriers into which other bottles of the same capacity don't fit. So I have to seek out refillers, which is getting more difficult. The new gas bottle suppliers website should help.

I've had our bottles retested and certified so can continue to use them, but for how long?

Have you noticed the traditional 9kg bottle is now only 8.5kg, and 4.5kg is now 4kg?

However there is a plus for us since I only get charged for 4kg when I refill with 4.5kg.

David

David and Janet Ribbans - Oka 148
Oka148 profile here.
Visit our technical and travel blogs: here.

More
24 Feb 2017 04:31 #4 by 210greg
210greg replied the topic: Bottled Gas Supplies
While on gas bottles why is that we are not charged by weight when filling a half empty bottle you still have to pay full tilt. Just a question also have heard of people buying swap and go then get out bush and find its out of date, then have to pay a motsa to replace it bitch over.

More
24 Feb 2017 06:22 #5 by Peter and Sandra OKA 374
Peter and Sandra OKA 374 replied the topic: Bottled Gas Supplies
Because the whole industry is corrupt, look at how much they sell the gas in bulk by the shipload to overseas and how much we pay so simply don't use it anymore. I've been caught with the "expired" bottle caper so now the only gas we use infrequently is the barby 20kg bottle. I also write on it when picking it up from the local swap n go agent the date of pickup and the initials of the person serving me, then there is no argument when I take it back a year or more later.
The Oka doesn't have any gas/lpg etc uses diesel for heating, cooking and hot water, use the electric jug for a cuppa and a normal 240v toaster for toast. Can also heat hot water with 240v via inverter as well as a single inductive cooktop if we wish to cook outside and a fire isn't an option.

OKA 374 LT Van, converted to camper/motorhome,
400ah Lithiums, 1100w solar, diesel cooking heating and HWS,
Cummins 6BT, Allison 6 speed auto, Nissan transfer.

More
26 Feb 2017 08:32 #6 by Lang
Lang replied the topic: Bottled Gas Supplies
90% of the Swap'n'Go service stations just give you the key to the cage and let you get your own bottles. No check on dates either in or out. I got a bottle in Brisbane that was 3 years out of date. Used it then took it back to the same station, no check, and made sure the replacement was in date.

lang

More
26 Feb 2017 10:42 - 26 Feb 2017 14:14 #7 by Rick Whitworth
Rick Whitworth replied the topic: Bottled Gas Supplies
Lang
that's been exactly our experience. Date checks have long since gone out with swap and go. We carry 2 x 9/8.5 kg bottles because one nearly always runs out when you are using it, usually out of range of a replacement.

They are now always swapped, can't remember when we last had one filled.

Like you I find large variations in bottle diameter, even within the same swap brand and sometimes in the rack at the one service location.

I have adjustable side clamps on the carriers but re adjusting them is a nuisance and sometimes even this is not enough so I carry three 50mm wide rubber straps the circumference of the bottle and different thicknesses.

...makes you wonder what's the point of Australian Standards?

Consolations for the lack of regulation are that the service points seem to be happy to swap any brand and it is quick and easy.
Rick

PS the only time we have had to worry about brand was returning a bottle with a leaking tap, they insisted we go to a dealer with the same brand. Of course we didn't discover the leak until we turned it on after the other one had emptied and by then we were 1000kms from the dealer where we had swapped in the crook one.
Last Edit: 26 Feb 2017 14:14 by Rick Whitworth.