ENGINE PRICE

More
14 Mar 2017 08:36 #1 by darren lilly
darren lilly created the topic: ENGINE PRICE
Hi came across a Hummer H1 80.000K V8 chev 4L80E auto & transfer $5.900 thinking about this for my jeep, Is this a good price or just average

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Mar 2017 11:07 #2 by OKABloke
OKABloke replied the topic: ENGINE PRICE
Engine would be just run in

For Sale:
XT and LT Parts and Service Manuals Available on CD or Download. $150.00 Set

OKA 4x4 Facebook Page
www.facebook.com/groups/1597409843913222/

David
The following user(s) said Thank You: darren lilly

More
15 Mar 2017 04:55 #3 by Peter and Sandra OKA 374
Peter and Sandra OKA 374 replied the topic: ENGINE PRICE
Not too bad for the price if it includes the tranny and transfer case. The transfer case is Left hand drop which means the tailshafts run on the LH side, if it isn't the same on your Jeep then it won't work.If it is a genuine H1 engine then it will be a 6.5 litre with mechanical injection but electronic fuel control which are renowned for problems due to heat and vibration. The upside is to go full mechanical injection which is the reliable way to go but means a change of injection pump. Transfer case would be a NP242 and make sure you get the engine and tranny computer and wiring for it all to work correctly otherwise you will need an aftermarket controller for the 4L80E like a Compushift or similar. The lack of ECU and wiring might be why it is cheap, a good 4l80E is around $4.5k.
They are a big lump of an engine will the Jeep take the weight?

OKA 374 LT Van, converted to camper/motorhome,
400ah Lithiums, 1100w solar, diesel cooking heating and HWS,
Cummins 6BT, Allison 6 speed auto, Nissan transfer.

More
16 Mar 2017 16:04 #4 by darren lilly
darren lilly replied the topic: ENGINE PRICE
its a 1985 full size jeep j10 originally came with a 3.3 nissan diesel as a factory option, tc is left drop but I didnt think about that so got lucky,weight should be ok as I think a few engine converters put these in nissans & landcuisers but not sure about space . Says it comes with all the wiring harness & accessories. Thanks for the feedback.

More
17 Mar 2017 06:02 #5 by Peter and Sandra OKA 374
I'm pretty sure the J10 came with both a big six and a V8 in the US so it should fit, might have to do a bit of sheetmetal work on the inner guards and firewall in spots. The Humvee engines came with stainless headers which are quite compact and sit close to the heads as there isn't a whole lot of room in a Humvee either. Something to be aware of when fitting the exhaust is to loosen all connections and then do them up from the rear, the connection to the headers being the last tightened as otherwise the exhaust pulls the headers and they being of relatively light construction are the first to crack. If you ever hit the exhaust when 4 wheeling always loosen the header connections when you get home and let it all move again or otherwise the headers can crack.
Don't scrimp on the cooling system, biggest radiator you can fit, Humvee is 4 core and 600mm square and 100 mmm thick and the entire cooling system holds around 26 litres of coolant. As they are hot running engine anything less will cook it. Electric fans won't hack it and you want the biggest fan you can fit with a good shroud.
We had a Humvee and used it for touring all over Oz for ten years so am well acquainted with the drivetrain.

More
19 Mar 2017 11:47 #6 by darren lilly
darren lilly replied the topic: ENGINE PRICE
for sale by 4b4 warehouse in sydney, business didnt have good reveiw are they ex 3WJ ? anyone dealt with this mob. Thanks for the replies Peter I was actually hoping you would as I am aware you previosly owned one.

More
20 Mar 2017 05:35 #7 by Peter and Sandra OKA 374
I'd be VERY careful if it is in any way connected with 3WJ or the people that run it. They did have a civilian H1 that was repowered with a huge big block petrol V8 and subsequently caught fire and burnt to the ground, it was eventually bought by a Humvee owner and very little was salvageable.
The engine and trans the are selling could be from that vehicle, not many H1's are repowered and everything is rebuildable. If it is out of that vehicle it has been sitting for a long time, possibly greater than ten years. It would be from the 90's anyway.
The price is certainly reasonable for a going setup BUT buyer beware if it is the same mob.