XT Speedo Sensor

More
08 Jul 2017 09:47 #1 by Tony Lee
Tony Lee created the topic: XT Speedo Sensor
Has anyone come across a suitable speedo pulse generator at a sensible price. Mine came loose and rattled around last trip and may be beyond help
Plenty of similar units available for all sorts of cars for $20 to $50 but price I remember for a genuine OKA unit was way more than these prices. Currently use my GPS but may as well get it back into working order.

Tony

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Jul 2017 15:17 #2 by Ralley
Ralley replied the topic: XT Speedo Sensor
I would imagine any pulse would so long as it's within the adjustable range of the speedo. When I put the Allison in I just used the pulse from the Allison.
Rob

More
09 Jul 2017 07:22 #3 by OKABloke
OKABloke replied the topic: XT Speedo Sensor
Paul Knott is working on a replacement internal gear driven unit with off the shelf parts
The issue with the XT Speedo is it is exposed to rocks and long grass being picked up and spun around the drum braking the sensor.

For Sale:
XT and LT Parts and Service Manuals Available on CD or Download. $150.00 Set

OKA 4x4 Facebook Page
www.facebook.com/groups/1597409843913222/

David

More
09 Jul 2017 14:10 #4 by fran philipson
fran philipson replied the topic: XT Speedo Sensor
Hi Tony, when we replaced the handbrake drum with the disc handbrake Paul fitted a drive out of the transfer box for the speedo. Works perfectly.
Cheers George
The following user(s) said Thank You: 210greg

More
09 Jul 2017 16:53 #5 by Outback Jack
Outback Jack replied the topic: XT Speedo Sensor
Several options are available

Speedo Sensor

Speedo Sensor 2

Speedo Sensor 3 [/url]
Attachments:

More
09 Jul 2017 18:15 - 09 Jul 2017 18:20 #6 by Tony Lee
Tony Lee replied the topic: XT Speedo Sensor
Hmmmm Looks very expensive.
I was looking for something a little more budget price than rollsroyce especially given the original lasted 23 years and only failed because I was too lazy to get under and check why the reading was getting erratic.

Guess if you were in the US, it wouldn't be too expensive for those kits

Tony
Last Edit: 09 Jul 2017 18:20 by Tony Lee.

More
10 Jul 2017 11:34 #7 by OKABloke
OKABloke replied the topic: XT Speedo Sensor
Paul Knott is looking at the option to have the housing as an exchange unit and kit for the other parts

For Sale:
XT and LT Parts and Service Manuals Available on CD or Download. $150.00 Set

OKA 4x4 Facebook Page
www.facebook.com/groups/1597409843913222/

David

More
25 Sep 2017 11:37 #8 by Tony Lee
Went the super-cheapskate option and ordered a similar sensor through Aliexpress out of China.

Same size and configuration and sensing distance but frequency range is not as high as the original but still good for up to about 140km per hour which should be high enough unless I win the Lotto and go to the dark side..

Cost for 5 sensors was a whole $25 in total including postage so will be interesting to see how they go.

Tony

More
01 Oct 2017 09:57 #9 by Tony Lee
Installed one and went for a drive. Speedo indicated perfectly all the way up to 30kmph and then died. Bugger! Serves me right for trying to save $200 on a genuine replacement.
However, on reflection I realised that I had adjusted the gap to 2mm which my failing memory said was the correct value. Thought today that maybe it is sensing the mass of the drum as well as the tags so at high ppm there isn't sufficient difference between tag there and no tag there. Looked it up in the manual - in the wheels and tyres section if you ever want to find it (Doh!!) - and it should be 5mm. Set it to that and it was working up to 108kmph which is not only as fast as the OKA will go, but as fast as I want to go.

So, looks like I did save heaps AND I have 4 spares. I'll keep them along with the 9kg of lead shot just in case.

Tony

More
01 Oct 2017 11:07 #10 by Dean Robinson
Dean Robinson replied the topic: XT Speedo Sensor
Hi Tony
$105.96 Plus GST and freight

More
01 Oct 2017 14:51 #11 by Peter_n_Margaret
Peter_n_Margaret replied the topic: XT Speedo Sensor
Siemens 3RG4013-3AG01 Proximity Sensor .

Cheers,
Peter

Cheers, Peter.
OKA196 tinyurl.com/OKA196xtMotorhome
Mob.0428171214

More
02 Oct 2017 15:29 #12 by 210greg
210greg replied the topic: XT Speedo Sensor
I am having an issue with 210 the speedo which is relative new just jumps around 90 to 60 back 90 then just stops if the transducer is dicky can they go intermittent. have taken to auto sparky on two occasion when I near his driveway the dam thing starts working. doing a number on my head and I cant afford further damage to my noggin
greg

More
02 Oct 2017 16:51 #13 by Tony Lee
XT Greg?

If so, have you checked the gap. Seems to need to be 5mm as specified. Less than 3 to 4mm will also give poor operation

Mine started jumping around when I first bought it and then the gap was too big. Worked OK for a long time until the brake cover came loose and was flopping around and giving intermittent operation and I put off getting underneath until it was too late and the end of the sensor got knocked off.

Tony

More
02 Oct 2017 18:13 #14 by Dean Robinson
Dean Robinson replied the topic: XT Speedo Sensor
Hi tony, I have the aluminium mounting dics that the whole handbrake mounts off if that is the problem. I have the sensors as well ans all of the linkages drums and brake shoes
Let me know if I can help?

More
03 Oct 2017 04:58 #15 by Paul Scherek
Paul Scherek replied the topic: XT Speedo Sensor
Greg, I had a similar thing happen on my Oka - I cleaned the plug and socket connectors of the sensor and it has been fine ever since. I hope yours is a similar easy fix. Cheers, Paul

More
03 Oct 2017 19:47 - 03 Oct 2017 19:48 #16 by Lang
Lang replied the topic: XT Speedo Sensor
I also had the same problem on #200. First time, handbrake shield loose and flopping around. Tightening fixed it.

Second time speedo started to under read then wander up and down before going to sleep entirely. Two days later it would suddenly wake up and go back to work. The tacho was also doing the same thing but not in sync with the speedo, could be one or the other or both.

Spent an hour on the instrument panel wiring tightening and cleaning every terminal and also ran a couple of extra earth wires. Never had the problem since.

Lang
Last Edit: 03 Oct 2017 19:48 by Lang.

More
04 Oct 2017 03:54 #17 by Peter and Sandra OKA 374
Peter and Sandra OKA 374 replied the topic: XT Speedo Sensor
The earth wires/grounding points were causing problems on 374 as well, as Lang said pull them off clean the metal back to shiny clean and reattach. A good idea to do the main battery cables and engine to chassis ground connection as well, they've probably been on for over 20 years now!

OKA 374 LT Van, converted to camper/motorhome,
400ah Lithiums, 1100w solar, diesel cooking heating and HWS,
Cummins 6BT, Allison 6 speed auto, Nissan transfer.

More
11 Oct 2017 19:17 #18 by Nobby
Nobby replied the topic: XT Speedo Sensor
Hi Allabout,
just had to come in on this one... I have been wrestling with speedo issues ever since I got #187.. Has a new speedo, which I have sent away twice, and am assured it is fine.. LCD odo usually goes balmy when you need to read it.. and the pointer is fine up to 80 kph.. then can tell you anything.. I adjusted the sensor too close, and it got smashed.. Dean sent me a new one.. had to change the wiring connector, and it worked.. At 800 rpm in 5th gear [tailshaft disconnected] it now reads 120 kph.. just a little optimistic...but consistent.. On the road it can read anything between 0 and 120 kph. The faster you go the lower it reads.. I itch to be able to fit an old fashioned cable and casing... so simple effective and reliable.. but the NP205 with the Oka handbrake setup will not allow it. I was hopeful that when I sorted the bearing and oil seal at the rear of the NP205, it would be Ok. No such luck.. got a good handbrake now though. Still looking for a VDO speedo with the figure wheels..so I don't have to suffer the balmy LCD. #430 speedo is fine, except for the balmy LCD..I shudder to think of the man hours I have spent on it.. Looks like I have to spend more..
Cheers,
Nobby.

More
12 Oct 2017 06:26 #19 by fran philipson
fran philipson replied the topic: XT Speedo Sensor
Hi Nobby, We used to have trouble with our speedo on #238 but when we fitted Paul's disc handbrake (top bit of gear) Paul took the speedo pickup direct out of the transfer box . this has not missed a beat since.
I suggest you give Paul at East Coast OKA a call.
Cheers George

More
12 Oct 2017 08:18 #20 by Peter_n_Margaret
Peter_n_Margaret replied the topic: XT Speedo Sensor
The original speedo on #196 died and I replaced it with an electronic VDO a few years ago. Easy to tune for accuracy and has been trouble free.
I also replaced the sender unit with a second hand one from Paul. No issues since.

Cheers,
Peter

Cheers, Peter.
OKA196 tinyurl.com/OKA196xtMotorhome
Mob.0428171214