TPMS recommendations

More
05 Aug 2017 10:02 #2 by Peter_n_Margaret
Peter_n_Margaret replied the topic: TPMS recommendations
I would like to fit a set too, but have not find any that I like, so far.
I intend to add a second valve to each rim to accommodate the TPMS.

Cheers,
Peter

Cheers, Peter.
OKA196 tinyurl.com/OKA196xtMotorhome
Mob.0428171214

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Aug 2017 10:17 #3 by Tony Lee
Tony Lee replied the topic: TPMS recommendations
Obviously it isn't any harder to unscrew the sensor than it is to unscrew a normal valve cap - in fact easier if your fingers don't work as well as they used to.

Another requirement is the system wakes up occasionally when not driving so you have a reasonable chance of detecting a flat tyre as soon as you fire it up in the morning rather than 5 minutes down the road as most do. Not many units have that. Battery life suffers of course but given my usage pattern of 3 months a year I guess I can remove the batteries when it is up on blocks.
Having a preset dual range is desirable but I suppose not essential if changing the pressure only needs a few button presses and the price premium seems pretty high to get that feature.

Tony

More
05 Aug 2017 10:24 #4 by Peter_n_Margaret

Tony Lee wrote: Obviously it isn't any harder to unscrew the sensor than it is to unscrew a normal valve cap - in fact easier if your fingers don't work as well as they used to..

Most that I have seen actually require a tool to undo the locking nut.

Cheers,
Peter

Cheers, Peter.
Mob.0428171214

More
05 Aug 2017 13:57 #5 by Aussie Iron
Aussie Iron replied the topic: TPMS recommendations
I use "Tyre Dog" with external sensors that screw on in place of valve caps and don't fit the lock pieces. Never had one come off and just as easy to use as the valve caps. Sensor batteries are easy to replace so I wouldn't be bothered to remove them when you put your vehicle into storage. That way you have new batteries in them when you use your Oka. Batteries are like 50cents each on Ebay. Receiver is easy to program changes - just push a few buttons.

Dan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DarrenWebster303

More
05 Aug 2017 15:11 #6 by Tony Lee
"Receiver is easy to program changes - just push a few buttons."

If you drop your tyre pressure from say 60 psi to 40 psi, on one axle and 50 to 35 on the other axle it would be desirable to drop the nominal setting on the device to 40psi and 35psi unless the alarm can be switched off. I read that you can change the settings by axle rather than wheel so that reduces messing around. Then do you have to also drop all the alarm points as well or is the original differential maintained. If not then there would be at least 4 settings to change

Tony

More
05 Aug 2017 23:25 #7 by Len208
Len208 replied the topic: TPMS recommendations
Im with aussie iron.I have used these for 7years.If you drop pressures just adjust limit to less than lowest pressure.Quick operation.They have saved me several times where I had slow punctures or air releases caused by small nails.faulty valves and damaged valve stems.

More
06 Aug 2017 05:37 #8 by Peter and Sandra OKA 374
Peter and Sandra OKA 374 replied the topic: TPMS recommendations
I use the Sensatyre system with internal sensors clamped the inside of the tyre on the rim, Have always worked well, they go to sleep when stopped and are usually working before you've even started moving. They have been fitted for 7 years, are on the second set of tyres now and a couple are slow to wake up which is a sign that replacement batteries are required,
There is a remote pickup under the Oka cable tied to the rear tailshaft hoop to avoid poor connections.
When dropping tyre pressures there is no setting change required as it alarms if any tyre or tyres varies from the others in pressure or temperature, the difference is programmable. It does alarm as you are changing pressures but stops as soon as they are back within limits.
I don't know how they would go with full steel belted tyres and heavier rims whether the signals would get out enough.

OKA 374 LT Van, converted to camper/motorhome,
400ah Lithiums, 1100w solar, diesel cooking heating and HWS,
Cummins 6BT, Allison 6 speed auto, Nissan transfer.

More
06 Aug 2017 16:09 #9 by Aussie Iron
Aussie Iron replied the topic: TPMS recommendations
To change yes you set upper and lower limits (by axle) and then push save and it is done. At times I only adjust the lower limit down as that is the one that will set of lose of air alarm when you have deflated your tyres some. Once you have reduced your tyre pressure chances are it will never hit the over inflation alarm unless you are traveling too fast for your reduced pressure.

Dan.

More
07 Aug 2017 17:18 #10 by Holmz
Holmz replied the topic: TPMS recommendations
At least 1 GPS has TPMS (Garmin 790 or some 790 motorcycle GPS).

I know it does at least 3 TMPS, but I do not know the range...

More
08 Aug 2017 09:07 #11 by dandjcr
dandjcr replied the topic: TPMS recommendations
The late Hal fitted the system described in this post to his Oka. Still worth a read.

Parts are still available from here .

David

David and Janet Ribbans - Oka 148
Oka148 profile here.
Visit our technical and travel blogs: here.

More
08 Aug 2017 09:44 #12 by Tony Lee
There is an earlier post by Hal recommending a unit with internal valve stemn sensors so I tried it and couldn't get it to work reliably. Turned out that Hal had never got his going either and although we both tried everything suggested, it never worked well enough to be able to rely on it. I did at least get all my money back so the supplier went an extra few miles in his service.

Looking at what is available, it seems as if the units with stand-alone displays cost the same as those that interface with smart phones so I wonder why anyone would bother with adding an expensive phone for no good reason.

Tony

More
08 Aug 2017 11:57 #13 by Frank
Frank replied the topic: TPMS recommendations
I took the opportunity when changing rubber to add another valve hole for TPMS and bought the Steelmate TP77 kit from supercheap ($160). Seems to work fine, although I have only had it on for one trip, time will tell. I see the price is now $300, dont know if I would pay that much for it. But for a cheapy it seemed to do everything I want. A single button press to set alarm pressure after air up or down (haven't tried this yet).

Frank & Christine Thomas

More
08 Sep 2017 18:26 #14 by packhorse
packhorse replied the topic: TPMS recommendations
unfortunately I went the Steelmate road and could not get them to behave. Everything it could come up with to be annoying it succeeded in doing. Eventually threw them over left shoulder so no one else felt the pain. Very disappointed.

More
09 Sep 2017 17:03 #15 by Peter Davis
Peter Davis replied the topic: TPMS recommendations
I have the Davies Craig Tyreguards. They are external sensors. Have saved me a number of times from flats.
My original ones use to chew through batteries but after changing to newer sensors much better. I run 8 sensors , 6 tyres and 2 airbags.
Only criticism I need the manual to adjust pressure, because I forget which buttons to press and hold.
Would I buy them again, yes.

More
19 Sep 2017 08:26 - 19 Sep 2017 08:28 #16 by Hank Onthewater
Hank Onthewater replied the topic: TPMS recommendations
I have the same TPMS setup as OKA 374: Sensatyre. Going for over 4 years now. My wireless receiver is mounted at the rear (next to number plate), to pickup the transmitters from the trailer as well, in total 8 tyres; BTW they are on alloy rims.
For photos and details see my thread OKA 428.
Last Edit: 19 Sep 2017 08:28 by Hank Onthewater.

More
13 Nov 2022 11:31 #17 by MAST
MAST replied the topic: TPMS recommendations
Thought I would reopen this old discussion on TPMS. I'm keen to purchase a TPMS and I am leaning towards internal sensors and have looked at the Sensatyre which appears to be the exact same system that hasn't changed in 20years?? Not sure if that is a good or bad thing :dry:
Love to hear everyone thoughts and experiences.
Cheers Mark

More
13 Nov 2022 14:46 #18 by Peter and Sandra OKA 374
Peter and Sandra OKA 374 replied the topic: TPMS recommendations
Good luck with Sensatyre, don't think they exist any more. I bought a set and they lasted a couple of years before the batteries started to go flat, you couldn't replace the batteries in the internal units and they expected you to buy new sensors at $80 a pop at the time.
Three of the five sensors had also broken the clamps holding the sensor to the inside of the rim and were floating around inside the tyre.
As we were about to leave on a trip I bought a $45 ebay solar powered dashtop unit with four external sensors which are still going strong six years later with the only problem being that the batteries have been replaced twice so they have approximately a 3 year life on the batteries which cost a couple of dollars each at the local supermarket. The display as I said is solar powered and has never been connected to the vehicle power just rus off the sun.

OKA 374 LT Van, converted to camper/motorhome,
400ah Lithiums, 1100w solar, diesel cooking heating and HWS,
Cummins 6BT, Allison 6 speed auto, Nissan transfer.

More
13 Nov 2022 17:01 #19 by Peter_n_Margaret
I recently bought one of these. promata.com.au/product/matac/
To set the alarms, simply set the tyre pressures and then press the ONE button. Alarms are set to 25% less than current pressures of the LH tyre on each axle. SIMPLE and QUICK.
Not enough experience to know if it is reliable yet.
Cheers,
Peter

Cheers, Peter.
Mob.0428171214

More
14 Nov 2022 08:15 - 14 Nov 2022 08:19 #20 by Dean and Kaye Howells
Dean and Kaye Howells replied the topic: TPMS recommendations
Same as Pete, I bought one of these a couple of years ago and it works fine. Original batterys lasted a year, replacements still going after 2 years.

TPMS

The cheapest travel insurance you'll ever buy :)

The TPMS won't stop the damage but its warning will allow you to fix the damage before its too late.
The tyre pictured had 12 plugs in it and still managed to hold air and cover a good 1500 Km before replacement. Without the TPMS to warn us it could have looked like this :(

Whilst the TPMS can save you from a lot of grief it isn't a magic bullet and 'stuff' still happens.

Deano :)
Attachments:
Last Edit: 14 Nov 2022 08:19 by Dean and Kaye Howells.

More
15 Nov 2022 14:23 #21 by Paul Scherek
Paul Scherek replied the topic: TPMS recommendations
G'day Peter, thanks for the link to the Promata - that one button push is brilliant. The others seem to be a pain to set every time you air down or up. This is much better. Cheers, Paul