Canopys? Thoughts?

More
31 Aug 2018 17:05 - 31 Aug 2018 17:12 #1 by Holmz
Holmz created the topic: Canopys? Thoughts?
I saw a nice example on a Fuso today.
No pull out drawers, but seemed like a good option for more security than a canvas cover.

I am leaning towards pull out drawers with the standard fridge, cook area tools and jacks...
and then a shelf above the drawers with the tent and swags on that upper ledge.

Is there any wisdom people have to offer?
Attachments:
Last Edit: 31 Aug 2018 17:12 by Holmz.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Sep 2018 15:59 #2 by Hedgie
Hedgie replied the topic: Canopys? Thoughts?
I have something similar which worked well. In the wooden box is an engel fridge and pantry at the end. The kitchen/sink unit rotates out and drops down to working height.
It needs a small refurb now as seam sealer and paint did not hold up well on the edges. I should have just glued and pop riveted the panels on the frame. Not stored undercover did not help either. You live and learn.
Attachments:

More
03 Sep 2018 16:33 #3 by Holmz
Holmz replied the topic: Canopys? Thoughts?

Hedgie wrote: I have something similar which worked well. In the wooden box is an engel fridge and pantry at the end. The kitchen/sink unit rotates out and drops down to working height.
It needs a small refurb now as seam sealer and paint did not hold up well on the edges. I should have just glued and pop riveted the panels on the frame. Not stored undercover did not help either. You live and learn.

I like it Hedgie - Thanks.

If the multi cab and box on the back were not so dear I would just plop the factory OKA one on.

Considering the weight, alloy seems a logical choice.
Considering corregations and vibration, then steel seems a better choice for fatigue.

More
03 Sep 2018 20:59 #4 by Ralley
Ralley replied the topic: Canopys? Thoughts?
Google styromax panels and have a look at their gallery. I plan on building a trailer with their product.
Rob
The following user(s) said Thank You: Holmz

More
04 Sep 2018 16:30 - 04 Sep 2018 16:33 #5 by Holmz
Holmz replied the topic: Canopys? Thoughts?

Ralley wrote: Google styromax panels and have a look at their gallery. I plan on building a trailer with their product.
Rob

Those look good and easy... thanks.
Since we're on the subject...

A similar option, which is a bit stronger: http://duflex.com.au/files/products.end_grain_balsa/duflex_balsa.pdf
And of course stronger still would be panels with a stronger composite skin with the end grain balsa... or if the shape needed to fit a bespoke curve like a n OKA's skinnier top. Or if a stronger core like hexcell alloy was needed for better strength/stiffness to weight.
(But in a trailer the Syromax looks like a plenty good composite.)

The Stryomax cable video was alsoslick.
Here is a similar option: https://truepositiontools.com/light-wire-jigs/tp-plj-puck-light-jig/https://truepositiontools.com/light-wire-jigs/tp-plj-puck-light-jig/
Which gets more appropriate for holes after the fact, in case planning did not happen ;(
Last Edit: 04 Sep 2018 16:33 by Holmz.