Weigh bridges

• Ewart and Vivian Halford
  • Ewart and Vivian Halford's Avatar Topic Author
More
11 Oct 2018 17:47 #1 by Ewart and Vivian Halford
Ewart and Vivian Halford created the topic: Weigh bridges
We left Katherine on Tuesday morning, led sign saying all vehicles over 4.5 tonne must call in.
Me uhf radio ( copy weigh bridge)
Weigh bridge ( copy)
Me ( I'm in an OKA motor home 5.5 tonne gvm, do I need to call in)
Weigh bridge ( no not to day, we will catch up with you some other time)
Me ( ok thanks)

To day Thursday same sign at Alice Springs.
Me ( copy weigh bridge)
Weigh bridge ( copy)
Me ( I'm in an OKA motor home privately owned at 5.5 tonne do I need to call in)
Weigh bridge ( yes all vehicles over 4.5 tonne GVM must call in)
Weigh bridge ( pull up between the cones and watch the traffic lights)
I do that and put the front wheels on and wait for the geen light, then put the back axel on, then the wife says it geen drive on.
Me ( what now)
Weigh bridge ( carry on with your travels)
So I did.

Ewart oka 365

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Oct 2018 17:52 #2 by Holmz
Holmz replied the topic: Weigh bridges
The locals refered to the past operator as "Fish", which when I asked... had something to do with "a xxxx with scales".
I guess it was a popular expression?

More
12 Oct 2018 05:54 #3 by Peter Davis
Peter Davis replied the topic: Weigh bridges
Nsw has 2 definite weigh stations for 4.5 tonne. One near Coffs Harbour and one near Gold coast. They are on the RTA website. In Victoria I think the weigh bridges are for over18 tonne but it isn't advertised. In Qld I believe it is 4.5 tonne.
I just try to avoid them.

More
12 Oct 2018 08:12 #4 by Lang
Lang replied the topic: Weigh bridges
Tell them nothing take them nowhere.

Anyone offering themselves up for execution only has themselves to blame. My guess would be a lottery winner's chance of being chased if you just sailed past every weighbridge, regardless of your OKA's weight. 90% of the weighbridge task is regulation compliance for truck drivers and their heavy vehicles, not axle weights - they are just not interested in a couple of geriatrics in a campervan.

If you were ever pulled up after passing a weigh station the chances are almost 100% of you getting merely a warning and an explanation that your excuse that you thought only trucks had to call in was wrong.

We all know nearly every OKA is overweight and the double whammy of excess load and driving a heavy vehicle on a car licence applies to many owners.

I reckon calling in or talking to RTA people to ask basically "Will you check me to see if I am breaking the law?" is a bit like the Irish Joke.

Paddy is being executed in France and the guillotine jams on the previous two victims who automatically get a reprieve to prison. As Paddy is putting his head on the block he looks up and cries out "Ah Oi can see the problem! The rope is jammed on the pulley!"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Holmz

More
13 Oct 2018 08:42 #5 by mort
mort replied the topic: Weigh bridges
Hi All,
I dont know about the other States but in W.A. it was announced some time ago that they were going to crack down ( for safety reasons ) on vehicles mainly towing as there was too many accidents with overloaded or unsuitable tow vehicle/caravan combination add that to the grey nomads taking off for their big adventure without any experience towing a loaded c/van...accidents will happen.
There was a big blitz up at Broome some months ago where they were stopping all tow vehicles and recording details and giving 6 months to fix the issues so not issuing fines at this stage or stopping the journey.
If you have the correct licence and vehicle not over weight its not an issue and if you are stopped if breaks up the journey and gives a chance to make a fresh coffee.
Martyn

More
13 Oct 2018 09:29 #6 by Tony Lee
Tony Lee replied the topic: Weigh bridges

My guess would be a lottery winner's chance of being chased if you just sailed past every weighbridge, regardless of your OKA's weight.

why would they chase you when they can just check the camera feed

More
13 Oct 2018 10:25 - 13 Oct 2018 10:39 #7 by Lang
My point is still the same, physical chase, camera (do mobile pad stops have cameras?) or whatever, their interest is almost zero. An OKA will not attract the attention a Holden or even a Prado with a tandem caravan does in one of the above-mentioned blitz campaigns.

In fact, we were caught up in a really bad campaign at Georgetown in north Queensland about 3 years ago when they were stopping and weighing every grey nomad. There were around a dozen vans deemed so outside the towing limits they were put off the road on the spot. Before the outcry a number of people had their holiday ruined and had to get their vans trucked back to Cairns (and what from there? Buy a bigger vehicle, sell the van or hook up and try to continue by another route?) It took two days of this before pressure was applied to issue 30 day rectification tickets instead of instant dismissal.

The point of this story is, we arrived in the OKA with a vacant inspection team ready and they waved us past and pulled in the van behind us.
Last Edit: 13 Oct 2018 10:39 by Lang.

More
13 Oct 2018 10:53 - 13 Oct 2018 10:58 #8 by Tony Lee
Mine is also the same - why would they chase you when they have camera evidence that you didn't stop plus access to registration databases that confirm you should have stopped plus automated infringement notice posting. After all the system is already in use with all the camera and timing gantries around australia to try and keep the truckies in line. 2018 now, not 1985. Real time registration checks as you drive past a patrol car etc etc.

Big detour to get around some of the weigh stations and the only thing that saves us is most are 8 tonnes and over

The point of this story is, we arrived in the OKA with a vacant inspection team ready and they waved us past and pulled in the van behind us.

As a policeman was reported as saying - does a fisherman catch every fish that swims past

You got lucky because it was the day to catch RVs, but that doesn't create a precedent that OKAs are above the law., or are you offering to indemnify any of us who are a bit less lucky
Last Edit: 13 Oct 2018 10:58 by Tony Lee.

More
13 Oct 2018 11:20 #9 by Lang
Probably the best take would be for any OKA owners (who together have done many millions of kilometres around Australia in the past 20 years) to tell us how many times they have been ordered to pull in, pulled up on the road or caught out either by a physical check or electronically for being overweight but particularly for running a weighbridge stop.

I believe "There is nothing to fear but fear itself" but we may be surprised that there are dozens of people who have suffered penalties. It would be a good caution to us if it turns out such checks and penalties are far more prevalent than I imagine. I have been wrong before.

More
13 Oct 2018 11:42 #10 by Tony Lee
Might not prove much if everyone does pull in when the signs quite clearly order you in. I've been past the one at Alice a few times in the OKA and in the BigBus and always pulled in and had no problems.

I don't understand your insistence that because you got away with it, that everyone should do the same.

More
13 Oct 2018 11:59 - 13 Oct 2018 13:55 #11 by Lang
Tony

I am not insisting anybody does anything. They are all big boys and girls.

You might be squeaky clean but there is no doubt a very high proportion of OKAs have one or more of the following problems : overweight, un-engineered modifications and construction (and maybe stuff that could never be engineered), non-approved wheels and tyre sizes and car licence holders driving 4.5 ton+ vehicles while those vehicles legally derated are more than likely to be over if loaded with an extra handkerchief..

If you want a campaign to have all OKA's and their drivers "not above the law" that's fine with me. I will just continue to try to drive safely and not to put my own head in the lion's mouth.
Last Edit: 13 Oct 2018 13:55 by Lang.

More
14 Oct 2018 06:01 #12 by OKABloke
OKABloke replied the topic: Weigh bridges
West Wylong is a prick of a place, There is an inspection station about 1.5Km out of town will pull in all vehicles over 4.5t, They also use a shaker bed and make you sit in the vehicle while on it. All trip planning now avoids West Wylong if only to avoid the hassle of going through an inspection.

South Australia, I went past an open weighbridge with a sign stating ALL Vehicles over 4.5T Must stop
I went back knowing i was under, when i pulled in I asked if I needed to and was told "Only if you are a commercial registered vehicle and there is no need to stop and any South Australian Weigh Bridges in the future.

For Sale:
XT and LT Parts and Service Manuals Available on CD. $150.00 Delivered
### OKA Manuals Now Available as a Download ###.

20mm Spring Hanger Pin Upgrade Kits.

David

More
14 Oct 2018 06:43 #13 by Paul Scherek
Paul Scherek replied the topic: Weigh bridges

OKABloke wrote: West Wylong is a prick of a place, They also use a shaker bed and make you sit in the vehicle while on it. .

When we are rolling along the highway at 100 klicks, there is a large amount of gyroscopic precession holding the wheel in place. This is the same force that stops motorbikes from falling over. When we hit a bump, the gyroscopic precession helps to hold the wheel in plane, reducing the load on the suspension components.

On those shakers the wheels aren't turning, so there is no gyroscopic precession assisting the suspension components keeping the wheel steady.

There is a real possibility that this could cause unexpected stresses on suspension components, and also on body joints. So I would always refuse to allow it - let them take me to court if they will.

More
14 Oct 2018 09:55 - 14 Oct 2018 09:56 #14 by Alister McBride
Alister McBride replied the topic: Weigh bridges
Hi all, are you guys saying they do roadworthy checks at the weighbridges?

If you're only a little over weight then i believe it's a fine of only about $200 per tonne over the limit for 'heavy vehicles', don't know about demerit points... worth taking into account, any good decision should take into account cost benefit analysis!
Last Edit: 14 Oct 2018 09:56 by Alister McBride.

More
14 Oct 2018 12:34 - 16 Oct 2018 09:36 #15 by Lang
Alister

As mentioned, the main reason for weigh stations (either fixed or roadside) is compliance checking. Although they have scales on the ground, many times trucks will not be weighed unless there is a suspicion of some infringement. It takes a lot of time to weigh trucks on portable scales while dozens of more lucrative targets are sailing past. Of course in a fixed station, everyone gets weighed as a matter of course as they pull up to hand over their log book.

The main checking is obviously driver log-books. While that is being done almost always a second team member wanders around the vehicle. They often deliberately go through the truck looking for bald tyres, lights not working, load restraints, oil leaks, cracked glass, unapproved spotlights etc etc. Depending on their opinion of the age or condition of the truck they then might put you on the shakers.

The big weigh stations such as Whites Mountain, Marulan etc have dedicated mechanical inspection people who do nothing but look at the trucks while their mates are checking log books, licences, registrations and scale weights.

Several big stations are now automatic and while you are running over the scales the cameras check everything such as registration, outstanding warrants, oversize, elapsed time speed etc. If they find nothing the lights flash "Proceed" but if they find something they flash "Lane One" for a physical check. They say quite clearly they target drivers and trucks with poor compliance history and will pull them in even though the auto system has cleared them.

You don't really want to be there if they are having a quiet day and have time on their hands.

We all know both road transport inspectors and police can stop anyone from a postie bike to a road train anytime, anyplace and carry out a wide range of compliance checks for impaired driving, paperwork and mechanical. This applies to all states.

I did a Government website check on the weighbridge/roadside compliance situation and for Queensland the nominal stopping weight is 4.5 tonne. The inspectors can vary this weight (upwards not down) by such methods as changing the weight or nominating particular vehicles only to stop on electronic approach signs.

In NSW the nominal stopping weight is 8 tonne except for the following 3 stations, all on the Pacific Highway, which are 4.5 tonne, Chinderah (Tweed Heads), Pine Creek (Karuah/Raymond Terrace), Halfway Creek (Grafton). Roadside stops are 8 tonnes but they can call anyone in if the mood takes them.

Could people tell us what the rules are in their states so we can be clear on the national situation?
Last Edit: 16 Oct 2018 09:36 by Lang.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Holmz

• Peter and Sandra OKA 374
  • Away
More
18 Oct 2018 05:53 #16 by Peter and Sandra OKA 374
Peter and Sandra OKA 374 replied the topic: Weigh bridges
There are a few more 4.5t in NSW which are only open when manned, off the top of my head the only one I can remember is just north of Taree on the Pacific highway.
We also came across a mobile one stopping everything when returning from Corowa this year on a small back road on the edge of a small town which I can't remember the name or location of, they waved me past ;-))

OKA 374 LT Van, converted to camper/motorhome,
400ah Lithiums, 680w solar, diesel cooking heating and HWS,
Cummins 6BT, Allison 6 speed auto, Nissan transfer.

More
02 Nov 2018 08:07 #17 by Tins
Tins replied the topic: Weigh bridges
In NSW, only Chindera and Pine Creek require vehicles of 4.5 GVM to enter. All other HVSS only require GVMs of 8 tonne to enter. ( source: www.rms.nsw.gov.au/business-industry/hea...safety-stations.html )

Neither the RMS or VicRoads have helpful websites.

In all my time driving heavy vehicles I have never seen a motorhome in a weigh station. Or a caravan or boat combination, for that matter. However, I have seen VicRoads set up at boat ramps.

• Away
More
03 Nov 2018 07:36 #18 by Peter and Sandra OKA 374
There are a couple more that are only manned weekdays usually in daylight hours, the on at Coopernook just north of Taree is 4.5t, we regularly drive past on the way to relo's at Harrington but have never been called in.

More
03 Nov 2018 09:32 #19 by Holmz
Holmz replied the topic: Weigh bridges

Peter and Sandra OKA 374 wrote: There are a couple more that are only manned weekdays usually in daylight hours, the on at Coopernook just north of Taree is 4.5t, we regularly drive past on the way to relo's at Harrington but have never been called in.

What defined "Called in" ?
Does one need a UHF to ask, or is there some way that they hail one towards them?

Or is it like an RBT where there is a vested bloke/Sheila with arms waving?

• Away
More
03 Nov 2018 10:05 #20 by Peter and Sandra OKA 374
Vehicles over 4.5 t must stay in the left lane for about 2k before the weighbridge and there is a big overhead sign that says to remain on the highway or divert to the weighbridge.
There are also may places on NSW roads where they can set up mobile weighbridges, we've been pulled into a few over the years as they usually pull everyone in regardless of vehicle size.
At state borders there is often a large "rest area" where such setups are and there will be RMS, police, NPWS, Lands dept and any other state govt bodies checking for all sorts of things from drugs to animals.