Tow Hitch

• 210greg
  • 210greg's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
More
12 Nov 2018 03:56 #1 by 210greg
210greg created the topic: Tow Hitch
Question for the brains trust I have the original tow hitch with the pintel hook it states on it you tow up to 3.5 tonne using the hook but only 2.25 if you use the ball. ( Not to exceed over 7 tonne in total). So does this mean if I upgrade hitch with a ball hitch rated to 3.5 tonne
am I going to be legal.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Nov 2018 06:19 #2 by mort
mort replied the topic: Tow Hitch
Hi Greg,
You need to look at a few factors.
1st what is your oka rego say for example what is the Tare , Agg and GCM.
So if say the GCM of 7000 and Agg 5500 and the oka is with all its load is 4700 then you can tow only 2300.
Tare is weight of oka empty
Agg is oka plus all its load
GCM is oka plus its load plus its trailer to add up to 7000
it can be confusing.
Martyn

More
12 Nov 2018 07:42 - 12 Nov 2018 07:54 #3 by Peter_n_Margaret
Peter_n_Margaret replied the topic: Tow Hitch
If a 50mm ball is used on a any vehicle with a GVM of more than 5T, the tow rating of the ball is de-rated on a sliding scale.
www.nhvr.gov.au/files/201709-0684-vsg16-50mm-ball-couplings.pdf
Which effectively means you can not tow 3.5T with an OKA using a 3.5T rated 50mm ball unless the OKA has a GVM of under 5T.
That applies even if all other ratings are OK.
Note that the trailer hitch (whatever it is) also gets de-rated as GVM increases.

Cheers,
Peter

Cheers, Peter.
OKA196 tinyurl.com/OKA196xtMotorhome
Mob.0428171214
Last Edit: 12 Nov 2018 07:54 by Peter_n_Margaret.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dean and Kaye Howells, mort, DarrenWebster303, alanj

More
14 Nov 2018 05:45 #4 by darren lilly
darren lilly replied the topic: Tow Hitch
can a engineer approve raising the towing capacity to approx 5 tons, seen a oka moving a similar sized boat though much lighter as it had no engines in a paddock at Anna Bay about 18 months ago. The Oka owner is a member of this site so if reading this how did it handle the trip

More
14 Nov 2018 08:40 - 14 Nov 2018 12:04 #5 by Peter_n_Margaret
Peter_n_Margaret replied the topic: Tow Hitch
Maybe, but probably not.
If the wheels, tyres, brakes, springs etc etc are all capable it would be possible to increase it but to actually tow something that weighed 5T is very unlikely.
I had the GVM of #196 increased to 6.6T and the GCM increased to 9T.
How much it can tow is limited by the actual weight of the truck at the time, the tow bar rating (mine is 3.5T) and other factors.
Cheers,
Peter

ps... Trailers that are over 4.5T fall outside the "light trailer" classification and need all sorts of extra fail safe braking gear.

Cheers, Peter.
OKA196 tinyurl.com/OKA196xtMotorhome
Mob.0428171214
Last Edit: 14 Nov 2018 12:04 by Peter_n_Margaret.
The following user(s) said Thank You: darren lilly

More
15 Nov 2018 07:21 #6 by mort
Hi Darren,
I know of some one who moved to Vic his oka was loaded and the trailer was loaded he estimates 11T, I asked how did it handle it including the Adelaide hills with a laugh he said it was a slow trip but it made it.
For an engineer to approve he would have to assume/calculate GVM + GCM as an all time use on the road over all terrain and in all traffic conditions not just a once off house move or pull the boat out of the water once a year for example.
Can the engine, G/box, T/case, drive shaft, diff, springs etc handle not just the weight but the torque required to move the weight and then brakes to stop, it could be done and as Peter has a GCM of 9T if he reduced the oka to 4T he could tow 5T legally.
Martyn
The following user(s) said Thank You: darren lilly

More
15 Nov 2018 07:28 #7 by mort
Hi Peter,
Thank you for that article I have read it a few times and have an issue with it and so have sent an email to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. for clarification I will see if the answer and then put up my questions and results.
Martyn

More
16 Nov 2018 06:14 #8 by darren lilly
darren lilly replied the topic: Tow Hitch
you are correct Peter over 4.5 tons need air brakes etc but dont think this would add up to what they quoted for the trailer, $45,000. Thanks for the replys