Road Side Assist

More
31 Jan 2019 06:35 #1 by nugget
nugget created the topic: Road Side Assist
Was just renewing my RACQ Road Side Assist and decided to up date the vehicles to include the OKA. That didn't end well as they advised that it is not covered by Road Side Assist or any of the benefits of Ultra care such as extra towing, accomodation in the advent of a break down. Just wondering if others have found the same??

Apparently Road Side Assist is only available to vehicles up to 3.5T GVM

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Jan 2019 09:14 #2 by 210greg
210greg replied the topic: Road Side Assist
yes aware of that I think the best coverage for Oka is with RACV

More
31 Jan 2019 09:28 #3 by Chris James
Chris James replied the topic: Road Side Assist
yes nugget,I have been with RACQ for 30 years,vehicle,house etc insurance and membership.when I bought #96 I asked about insurance cover but I had to explain to them what an oka was as nothing came up on their data base, oka vehicles do not exist for them. Chris.

Chris & Shirley 096

• Peter and Sandra OKA 374
  • Away
More
31 Jan 2019 10:07 #4 by Peter and Sandra OKA 374
Peter and Sandra OKA 374 replied the topic: Road Side Assist
The NRMA won't cover anything over 4.5t on their "normal" assist plans but Premium Care will cover up to 10T, costs $190 per year, I've used them once for the full $3k allowed in one year, it still didn't cover the complete towing cost but made a large dent in it!
There is also mechanical roadside coverage on some motorhome/camper comprehensive insurance packages, I'm with CMCA/Ken Tame and have used the total of $600 for towing per year for mechanical breakdown. Most full insurance policies would cover in full for accident recovery.
Towing costs add up quickly as you are paying for mileage both ways, our local bloke in town was charging $4 per km when I used him a couple of years ago, be more now.
You can also get specific roadside recovery packages but i have no knowledge of them.

OKA 374 LT Van, converted to camper/motorhome,
400ah Lithiums, 680w solar, diesel cooking heating and HWS,
Cummins 6BT, Allison 6 speed auto, Nissan transfer.

More
31 Jan 2019 18:56 #5 by Peter_n_Margaret
Peter_n_Margaret replied the topic: Road Side Assist

Peter and Sandra OKA 374 wrote: Most full insurance policies would cover in full for accident recovery..

I suggest that ALL comprehensive insurers are obliged to do that. Even if the vehicle is a write off, they are obliged to recover it, not abandon it.
I insured with Club 4X4 once. They have optional breakdown recovery cover of $10,000 or $25,000, but I did not renew that policy because I disliked the fine print and was uncomfortable with the organisation.

The best insurance is to accept that a serious and expensive recovery is likely to happen sooner or later and to be personally prepared to cover it.
Often though, fixing the vehicle where it is can be a more sensible approach that moving it somewhere else to fix it.
In 2017 we broke a rear axle in the middle of the Simpson. Paul posted a new one to Birdsville and a friend drove out and got it back to us. In the intervening 8 days we simply enjoyed the Desert...…. Easy peasey.

I also have a gentleman's agreement with my mechanic. He will come and fix my OKA anywhere (and to bring parts and tools) - at a price, no doubt, but that might still be better than a heavy vehicle recovery.
There are sometimes other options apart from "recovery".
Cheers,
Peter

Cheers, Peter.
OKA196 tinyurl.com/OKA196xtMotorhome
Mob.0428171214

More
01 Feb 2019 05:24 #6 by Lang
Lang replied the topic: Road Side Assist
Nugget

RACQ Roadside Assist (Platinum Cover) carried my OKA about 70km (in NSW) a couple of years ago then came back and picked up the trailer with an Army Jeep on it. No problems at all. The most common tilt trays will carry 6 tons.

Lang

More
01 Feb 2019 05:37 #7 by Peter_n_Margaret
Peter (and Sandra)'s first problem was they were out in the Great Victoria Desert (at Oak Valley) AFTER a 200km tow behind a Landcruiser and the tilt trays did not want to go off the bitumen. Then when he found one who would it was the best part of 1,000km back to Adelaide.
But he can tell the story :)
Cheers,
Peter

Cheers, Peter.
Mob.0428171214

More
01 Feb 2019 06:59 #8 by Lang
Peter

I agree a boondocks rescue is going to be difficult under many circumstances regardless of cover but as 90% of the kilometres the OKA fleet does is within range of some sort of conventional rescue I still think RACQ/NRMA etc top cover will pay for itself eventually somewhere, sometime.

Lang

More
01 Feb 2019 07:27 #9 by nugget
nugget replied the topic: Road Side Assist
RAQC was very specific when I spoke to them yesterday that they had a 3.5T GVM limit. I thought when I said I would cancel the Ultra they might buckle but they didn't bat and eye lid and let me cancel..

Sounds like either I got the wrong person on the phone or the rules have changed. Problem is I would like to know now, not when I need a tow etc and they then refuse.

More
01 Feb 2019 07:29 #10 by nugget
The other problem of course is that basically all the so called Road Assist programs utilise the RACQ state equivalents

• Peter and Sandra OKA 374
  • Away
More
01 Feb 2019 11:59 #11 by Peter and Sandra OKA 374
Peter and Sandra OKA 374 replied the topic: Road Side Assist
Nugget check with them again as their Ultimate RV coverage goes up to 8 tonne according to their website, NRMA has a similar limit on the lower membership levels they will allow heavier vehicles on the higher membership levels, that is why I have no problem with the NRMA Premium Plus as they cover up to !0 tonne..

OKA 374 LT Van, converted to camper/motorhome,
400ah Lithiums, 680w solar, diesel cooking heating and HWS,
Cummins 6BT, Allison 6 speed auto, Nissan transfer.

More
01 Feb 2019 15:38 #12 by Lang
Also, if you have Ultimate cover it is for any vehicle you happen to be driving. Just list your everyday driver as the nominated car and when you ring up for help tell them you have a motor home or motor camper. Their main interest is how long is it because some common tilt trays only take 6 metres which is just fine for an OKA. Some tilt tray blokes will ask about departure angles as the ramp is too steep for some Winnebago type motor homes.

I have been rescued twice by RACQ (operating through NRMA and RACV on site) and the only query was length. They knew what an OKA was and asked if it was an XT or an LT. The RACQ handled all the phone calls, I never talked to RACV or NRMA - except when the driver arrived of course.

For Ultimate, RACQ website says 4 ton and 5.5 metres. This is to cater for the baby tilt trays in some areas. As I said, most tilt trays have 6+ tons and 6 metres. Even if you have to get the vehicle in yourself, the accommodation, airfares and hire car are well worth the cost of membership if you blow up your Holden while visiting grandma in Adelaide..

Lang

More
01 Feb 2019 17:44 #13 by nugget
Thanks guys. Think I got an ordinary operator. Ultimate RV was not even mentioned even though I told them it was a motorhome...well will be!

Looks like another phone call is in order.

More
04 Feb 2019 08:26 #14 by nugget
Well it was a mission but I now have cover with RACQ.

The RV Ultimate was a 12 month trial which has only just become standard and clearly no one knows anything about it. I had to lead the operator through it as she couldn't find it on her Desktop! Suspect she ended up looking on the web page at the same stuff I was looking at but we got there.

Basically OK up to 8T and, 8m long, 2.5m wide and 3.3m high.

An extra $99/year on top of Ultimate with towing up to $3,300 after breakdown plus a few other things.

More
04 Feb 2019 10:32 #15 by Peter_n_Margaret
Do you have to be a Queensland resident?
Cheers,
Peter

Cheers, Peter.
Mob.0428171214

More
05 Feb 2019 04:12 #16 by nugget
Yes....we already have you southerners coming up and taking our sunshine...can't have you pinching our RACQ memberships as well :)