OKA 413 _ A New Hope

More
16 Jun 2019 19:05 #2 by Holmz
Holmz replied the topic: OKA 413 _ A New Hope

Dean and Kaye Howells wrote: ...
Front. 2870 Kg Rear. 2540 Kg for a total of 5410 kg.
At the same time the house battery of 4 X 66 Ah Optima batteries (96 Kg) mounted in the front of the bus module behind the drivers seat were removed and replaced with 2 X 100 Ah LiFePO4 batteries (24 Kg) directly above the rear RHS wheel.
Brand?
Photos?

The incredibly heavy rear tailgate was given the flic with rear 'under bed access' now via an additional access door behind the rear axle on the drivers side.
Photo?
#413 has now been loaded 'to the gills' with all food/water/spares/fuel etc ie. max touring weight and weighs in as follows.

Front. 2390 Kg Rear. 2960 Kg for a new total of 5350 Kg :)

Good effort.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Jun 2019 19:03 #3 by Alister McBride
Alister McBride replied the topic: OKA 413 _ A New Hope
That's a great effort Deano, well done! And thanks for all the detailed info.

It's encouraging to see someone who is travelling easily under the original GVM!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dean and Kaye Howells

• Dean and Kaye Howells
  • Dean and Kaye Howells's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
More
17 Jun 2019 20:52 #4 by Dean and Kaye Howells
Dean and Kaye Howells replied the topic: OKA 413 _ A New Hope
Here's some pics for you Holmz.

The rear tailgate is now gone which means it's easy to carry a spare on the back without the standard Oka (weight is no problem) horrendously heavy and cumbersome wheel carrier.
This is made from a length of 300mm purlin bolted to the tops of the existing small bumpers with bracing extending down to the sides of the same bumpers. Additional bracing extends down to the winch carrier and transfers the weight of the spare wheel(s) to the tow bar. The number plate is mounted on these straps/bracing. The frame inside the new rear panel has three verticals of 50mm RHS so that one or two spares can be carried/stayed in whatever configuration ie. left or right, left and right or centre only mounted as required. Note that the wheel(s) weight is transferred to the tow bar so the rest of the carrier/mount can be of comparatively light construction when compared to the original Oka heavy weight monstrosity of single/dual wheel carrier. The mesh cage on the LHS is for firewood.

Access to the rear (under bed) storage is now by matching (to Kayes LHS kitchen) access door. The other access door is to a bin/storage area N70 battery deep, approx 330mm, and the same height as the rear hatch. The switching panel is only 50mm or so deep so it doesn't impinge on interior storage.

In the bottom section on the left is two 100 ah LiFePO4 batterys from Low Energy Developments in Melbourne bought on ebay when on 'special' for approx. $325 each. Current price is now double that. The orange unit next to the batterys is the 58 volt charger for our AEG electric chain saw. The blue unit next to this is a Victron 500 watt pure sine wave inverter to power the charger and the red Milwaukee charger in the rear RHS corner. Behind the inverter is the main transceiver unit for the Codan HF radio. On the right hand side of the storage bin is the Votronic solar regulator and DC-DC charger for the Lithium batterys.
The switch board above manages power in and out to run the house and other electrics.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Joseph Baz, outyonda, 210greg, Holmz

More
18 Jun 2019 12:35 #5 by Harry
Harry replied the topic: OKA 413 _ A New Hope
Wow deno that looks really good , you are really going up market .I will have to book old 045 in to your place for an upgrade I will give you a holiday first

Jenny and I both enjoy the great outdoors. We try to get away 4 to 5 month a year.

• Dean and Kaye Howells
  • Away
More
18 Jun 2019 12:50 #6 by Dean and Kaye Howells

Harry wrote: Wow deno that looks really good , you are really going up market .I will have to book old 045 in to your place for an upgrade I will give you a holiday first

No worries Harry we'll just build on last years 'mods'. You provide the beer and I'll do the rest :)

Deano :)

ps. should see you next Wed/Thurs, leaving tomorrow.

More
18 Jun 2019 19:59 - 18 Jun 2019 20:01 #7 by Holmz
I assume you are using a regular battery for the starter?
Last Edit: 18 Jun 2019 20:01 by Holmz.

• Dean and Kaye Howells
  • Away
More
19 Jun 2019 02:58 #8 by Dean and Kaye Howells
Yes, house battery is in addition to the two Oka 'standard' setup.

Deano

More
19 Jun 2019 03:23 #9 by Holmz
The battery on the passenger side is also a lead acid?

Wondering if the the the battery could be a Lithium? Or would I need special charging...

More
19 Jun 2019 19:49 #10 by Joseph Baz
Joseph Baz replied the topic: OKA 413 _ A New Hope
Great work Deano,thanks for sharing!

More
19 Jun 2019 21:00 #11 by Ralley
Ralley replied the topic: OKA 413 _ A New Hope
Reno don’t make that Cummins rev any higher. Mine is doing 1770 at 100 and that over 8t and it’s fine.
Rob

More
22 Jun 2019 11:04 #12 by Ewart and Vivian Halford
Ewart and Vivian Halford replied the topic: OKA 413 _ A New Hope
Holmz I run a lithium starter but has its own BMS as part of it.

Ewart oka 365
The following user(s) said Thank You: Holmz

• Dean and Kaye Howells
  • Away
More
02 Aug 2019 17:10 #13 by Dean and Kaye Howells

Ralley wrote: Reno don’t make that Cummins rev any higher. Mine is doing 1770 at 100 and that over 8t and it’s fine.
Rob

Thanks Rob, you must be getting a lot more out of your 6BT than I am :) With our current setup 1770 rpm in 5th is just about the right touring speed for us at 92 kph but is under the performance 'envelope' for a factory standard ex Dodge Ram. At 1900 rpm its right in the groove at 100 kph and at 2000 rpm (105 kph) its really rocking and great for overtaking. We prefer a more sedate pace though.

So the $64 000 question is how to achieve this, go 4.56 diffs, go smaller tyres/rims or retune/modify the 6BT for greater performance at lower revs ?

An water air inter/after cooler is definitely on the cards before next year for decreased egt's and general efficiency. If coupled with an externally waste gated turbo and properly tuned would this do the trick ?
From a general viewpoint power/torque is ok, though you can never have too much :), I'd just like it 100-200 rpm sooner.

Deano

• Dean and Kaye Howells
  • Away
More
02 Aug 2019 17:15 #14 by Dean and Kaye Howells

Ewart and Vivian Halford wrote: Holmz I run a lithium starter but has its own BMS as part of it.

Hi Ewart, all the 100 ah replacement lithiums I looked at were severely current limited ie. less than 100 amps so unsuitable for starting or winching. What battery did you get ?

Deano

More
02 Aug 2019 18:40 #15 by Ewart and Vivian Halford
Ewart and Vivian Halford replied the topic: OKA 413 _ A New Hope
Dean, it is a start saver from EV Works. I got the $700 one. The warranty was 5 or 7 years.
It doesn't state the amperage.
It starts fine.
I don't know if it would keep up with a winch, depends on your alternator out put I would think.

Cheers

Ewart oka 365
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dean and Kaye Howells, Joseph Baz

More
02 Aug 2019 19:59 #16 by Ralley
Ralley replied the topic: OKA 413 _ A New Hope
Hi Deno
Getting Boost early is the key. I don’t get full noise until about 2000 as well but I get nearly all of it at around 1700. The challenge in getting the turbo to spool early without to much smoke and keeping egt’s in check.
Starting with the genset engine I chanced to the rotary pump. I also changed the hx35 turbo to a hx35w. The w means it’s waste gated. I also fitted a large water to air intercooler, this makes a considerable difference. I also fitted a 4” exhaust.
I have adjusted the main fuel screw to give about 630c pre turbo at sea level. At altitude I watch it and keep it below 650. I then adjust the boost compensator to get the turbo to spool as early as I can without to much smoke and without the egt’s spiking before the turbo spools. After a lot of research I run a max of 28psi of boost. At 1700rpm I get about 25psi before the auto kicks down.
One of the things I’ve learnt higher boost equals lower egt’s
Rob
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dean and Kaye Howells, Joseph Baz

• Peter and Sandra OKA 374
  • Away
More
03 Aug 2019 05:38 #17 by Peter and Sandra OKA 374
Peter and Sandra OKA 374 replied the topic: OKA 413 _ A New Hope
Deano after driving Rob's Oka and trailer for a couple of days coming back from Arnhem land last year I fitted a water to air intercooler to mine, engine is also an ex genset but with the non wastegated HX35 and 3" exhaust.
The W2A intercooler makes a massive difference, took 150C off the EGT's which meant I could give it a bit more fuel to run the same sort of EGT's as Rob is, my intercooler is about 25% smaller than Rob's but given I'm not towing 2 1/2 tonne of trailer it still goes pretty well. Boost is about 22lb max but I rarely drive it that hard except on hills.
Both Rob and I have also fitted high volume low pressure piston type lift pumps to keep the housing pressure in the IP up so as to get better pressure out to the injectors, we also have fuel pressure regulators set at around 11 psi to prevent the front seal blowing out on the IP.
My Oka is geared a little bit taller than Rob's in 5th and 6th but his taller tyres probably equal it out. This year with a travelling weight of 5.6t and cruising at 100-105 on the bitumen we averaged 14-18L/100k depending on which way the wind was blowing. Like yours mine is happiest in the 1900 RPM range which is smack on 105kph with 315/75R16's and standard diffs. makes overtaking those pesky caravanners easy as it stays in 6th and just pulls like a train so you when you pull back in you're up around 120kph without any real effort.

OKA 374 LT Van, converted to camper/motorhome,
400ah Lithiums, 680w solar, diesel cooking heating and HWS,
Cummins 6BT, Allison 6 speed auto, Nissan transfer.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dean and Kaye Howells

• Dean and Kaye Howells
  • Away
More
03 Aug 2019 17:23 - 03 Aug 2019 17:26 #18 by Dean and Kaye Howells
Thanks for the info fellas.
I reckon I've got a bit of work to do here but first need to establish a base line. #413's engine came from an intercooled Dodge Ram and has a standard HX or HC 52 from memory non waste gated turbo, the one with the larger diameter outlet. The IP is Bosch rotary and along with the injectors was rebuilt/refurbished by AG diesel in Melbourne prior to fitting the engine. The IP was rebuilt to manafacturer specs (from pump ID) and still has the seal on the fuel screw. The cam timing mark setting is as per original.

I'll get it back down to AG for a dyno run to get a base line to work from. I don't have a boost gauge fitted currently so guess that would be a good idea to see what's going on and when boost wise.

Next step is probably a water/air inter/after cooler and as the air inlet plumbing will need to be re done anyway this is probably the time for fitting a HX35W or fancy air compressor 'wheel'.
As for the cooler I'm interested in the factory mounted 6BTA for ease of fitting :), the only tricky bit I see is getting hold of the re routed injector lines. One potential negative here is that I've been told that heat radiating from the factory top mounted aftercooler is a problem especially for the front pasenger. Any one out there have this problem ?

Plan b wil be to follow Peters path as writen up previously.
Coolant wise I plan to plumb into the radiator return plumbing and use this for the after cooler. My existing 5 row radiator is a bit of an over kill in our application and I curently run a radiator blind most of the time to keep the thermostat fully open. 'Pre heating' the coolant may sort this issue out. Kill two birds with one stone so to speak. Early days yet, but that's the idea.

Last Edit: 03 Aug 2019 17:26 by Dean and Kaye Howells.

• Dean and Kaye Howells
  • Away
More
04 Aug 2019 15:19 #19 by Dean and Kaye Howells
#413 now sports a new aluminium bull bar, dual 160 litre aluminium fuel tanks and replacement steel steps. All were pre ordered and provided by Oka Chris in Kununurra.

Bullbar weighs in at less than 30 kg which is a huge weight saving over the original which is more than double this weight.

The fuel tanks are made from 3mm aluminium are baffled and fit in the same space as the original 105 litre tanks with new mounting brackets and with an additional mounting point for added strength. There are a surprising number of variations in Oka fuel tanks so although 'one size may fit all' there are differences in filler positioning and pickup/return/vent fittings.eg. #413's LH filler positioning is a bit different due to the bus door relocation and the RH tank has an additional pickup for the diesel heater. Chris makes these in either aluminium or steel, whatever 'rows your boat' :)

The piece d'resistance though is the replacement foldable 3 level step. It's an ingenious design which folds neatly and is held in place with a bracket mounted on the bottom of the door. ie. with door closed the steps are held in place without further ado :)

Chris's design and attention to detail is second to none and I can recommend these to all Oka owners.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: nugget

More
04 Aug 2019 18:54 - 04 Aug 2019 18:55 #20 by Holmz

Dean and Kaye Howells wrote: #413 now sports a new aluminium bull bar, dual 160 litre aluminium fuel tanks and replacement steel steps. All were pre ordered and provided by Oka Chris in Kununurra.

Bullbar weighs in at less than 30 kg which is a huge weight saving over the original which is more than double this weight.

How good is the bull bar?

What size bolts hold it on?
Last Edit: 04 Aug 2019 18:55 by Holmz.

• Dean and Kaye Howells
  • Away
More
05 Aug 2019 08:33 #21 by Dean and Kaye Howells
Hi Holmz, standard Oka fitment all round. It uses the same fixing points as the original.note. LT bull nars have two extra mounting bolts (than XT). Chris also provided new mounting brackets to suit.
Like many things Oka there's variation in the fit so mount fixings were drilled to suit when installed. Chris also supplied cuztom light and aerial mounts to suit..
A very professional job.