Re Engineering the OKA

More
21 Feb 2020 17:55 #1 by mort
mort created the topic: Re Engineering the OKA
Hi All,
Over the past year I have been involved ( doing most of the work ) in the upgrade of an OKA for a friend this also included springs, pins and bushes, shockies, hand brake, turbo, inter-cooler, air cleaner and snorkel, exhaust and most important GVM and GCM and licencing.
We needed a qualified and approved Engineer to inspect and approve the work and issue a blue plate so all legal.
We made some enquiries but after having no luck mainly because the original build/engineering/approval details were missing from the Australian data base and I guess it was becoming too hard, eventually we got some details of an Engineer who would be interested in doing the work ( Thank you to the person for making the initial contact and passing on the info ).
Because there wasn't any info we had to start from scratch and build up a performance capability of the OKA. This included loading up the OKA to over 6T and doing a number of tests including take off from standing start to posted speed, freeway driving, hill climbs, taking off on a hill and maintaining speed and braking including emergency braking, so you get the idea.
The next part was load up the OKA again ( I have had enough of loading 1.5T of concrete blocks into an OKA ) then load up a trailer to a total of 2.5T and do all the testing again.
Then down to get dyno and prove performance.
In the end all passed and blue plate issued then down to licencing pay the fee and all legal.
We had to pay and it wasn't cheap but it needed to be done.
The good thing for every OKA owner is that we ( The Engineer ) has a lot more data than was previously available and now he can and has approved 2 more upgrades including a V8, the hard work has been done and he can do other approvals and blue plates for approx $600.00 even if your in another state.

I will list his info later so you can contact him if you need his services.
Martyn
The following user(s) said Thank You: OKAPETE, Terry Mclaaren, 210greg

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Feb 2020 18:41 #2 by mort
mort replied the topic: Re Engineering the OKA
Hi All,
Here is the Engineers details, he is easy to deal with and can do for all states.

Vlad Diaconita
Ph: 0459 345 268
E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Just a quick introduction of myself:
WA Signatory Engineer for light and heavy vehicles for over 6 years.
Agent in the RVCS data base - assisting with imported vehicles as well as Second Stage of Manufacture approval process.

Areas covered: modifications applicable to VSB 14 and VSB 6; 2nd ADR reports for imported vehicles.
Eg include: engine conversion and engine modifications, transmission substitution;
chassis and body modifications (including cabin conversions); seat install certifications, wheel base alterations, body mounts, additional axles, etc;
Vehicle categories covered: motorcycles, trikes, passenger and off road, goods vehicles, omnibuses, trailers.
Testing:
Swept Path Analysis - eg for vehicles with excessive rear overhang;
Brake test;
Noise test;
Trike stability test.

Martyn
The following user(s) said Thank You: OKAPETE, Hank Onthewater, Terry Mclaaren

More
23 Feb 2020 09:26 - 23 Feb 2020 09:27 #3 by Tony Lee
Tony Lee replied the topic: Re Engineering the OKA
Thanks Martin,

Since I guess he has to sight the vehicle, where is he located

Tony
Last Edit: 23 Feb 2020 09:27 by Tony Lee.

More
24 Feb 2020 09:19 #4 by mort
mort replied the topic: Re Engineering the OKA
Hi All,
Yes Tony you are right , he is in Perth and all vehicles need to be sighted but he has contacts/associates in all states who can sight and sign off.
I did ask what if someone was in a remote area and it is difficult to get to a nominated contact well if it is for major works then it may be difficult but if for lets say minor works say a GVM from XT to LT capacity then its just springs and shockies/air bags then photo's and a suitable person to verify that the photo's are of the vehicle the work and genuine once he is satisfied he can do all the paperwork and issue the blue plate.
If unsure the best thing is to email him and ask how to go about the process to ensure it is all legal.

Martyn