First Trip away in #290

More
01 Nov 2020 09:23 #1 by Muz1970
Muz1970 created the topic: First Trip away in #290
Just completed our first major trip in our Oka, nearly 8000km in 6 weeks and loved ever minute of it. Went from Bunbury up through the Kimberley's and back. Mainly trying my hand at bird photography, catching up with a few mates in Kununurra and enjoying the warmer weather.

Had a few minor issues with the Oka, but nothing that held us up. A/C had lost its gas so windows down for half the trip. Got it fixed in Kununurra. Drivers window winder belt broke, cable tied up after A/C was fixed. Spotlights, UHF antenna and water filter fell off on corrugations. Recovered UHF, removed cracked spotlights before they fell off and lost water filter housing.
Rear tyres started to delaminate, lost shoulders on a low range track out the back of Mt Elizabeth station. Nursed them through for another 2000km then had them replaced in Port Headland. Appeared they were 16years old so no complaints.
Front free wheeling hub lost 4 of the 6 retaining bolts. Drove onto beach at Pardo station in 2wd seeing how far she'd go in soft sand, got stuck then got out to put hubs in only to find the passenger free wheeling hub hanging off on an angle. Only 2 bolts side by side holding it in place. Got allen keys out and tightened bolts putting one directly opposite. Got out off beach and pinched 2 from opposite side to get me home.
Rear Passenger brake caliper came off and was floating on rotor, was rubbing on inside of rim. Managed to put it back in place which has been good since, getting me home hassle free.

Came back with a list of mods to improve our setup, the first major one will be the air intake as it still has the original 3 inch setup. Will fabricate right from the turbo horn on the duramax to a 5" snorkel with ram head. Then the exhaust will be enlarged, should let it breathe much better.

Almost home and starting to feel the cold again

East of Nullagina

How the Oka was when I got it home less than 12months ago
The following user(s) said Thank You: OKAPETE, Paul

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Nov 2020 11:26 #2 by Hydramech
Hydramech replied the topic: First Trip away in #290
Great to see you had a good trip Muz. I have a new winder belt here for you. I thought i had your number but not so. Cheers Kev 0407477591.

More
01 Nov 2020 17:48 #3 by Holmz
Holmz replied the topic: First Trip away in #290
The nordlock washers sometime help parts to stay on.
There is always wiring the nuts too.

More
01 Nov 2020 19:32 #4 by Peter_n_Margaret
Peter_n_Margaret replied the topic: First Trip away in #290
"Rear tyres started to delaminate, lost shoulders on a low range track out the back of Mt Elizabeth station."

The Munja Track?
Drove out to Walcott Inlet in 2005 in #196. Some wonderful country, would love to go back some day.
What is the access like now it has all changed ownership and control.?
Cheers,
Peter

Cheers, Peter.
OKA196 tinyurl.com/OKA196xtMotorhome
Mob.0428171214

More
02 Nov 2020 07:32 #5 by Cuppa
Cuppa replied the topic: First Trip away in #290
Peter, I believe the Munja Track has remained closed for all of 2020 & whilst the intent to re-open it has been expressed, I am unaware of any projected date as yet. I think we were very lucky to have gone down to Walcott inlet last year, but like you would love to return. I expect Muz went down one of the Station tracks to the gorges one of which is reputed to be very rough. We probably should have checked it out but were feeling 'satisfied' having just spent close to two weeks on the Munja.

I hope this is not 'hijacking' your thread Muz .... but here's a link to our blog entry about our time on the Munja in case anyone is interested. No OKA content I'm afraid though.
cuppa500.com/Blog/2019/07/17/north-kimbe...t-3-the-munja-track/

More
02 Nov 2020 09:56 #6 by Muz1970
Muz1970 replied the topic: First Trip away in #290
All good, was my intention to spend 5 days on the Munja track but was closed as you've mentioned. TO's control track permits/access and have closed it for the season. Wanted to target the Black Grasswrens there. Everything north of Mt Elizabeth was also closed.
Wunnamurra gorge was the rough track, would have been all good if tyres weren't so old. Beautiful spot. Will go back again in a couple of years and do all the places we missed.

My wife has never been a huge fan of serious off roading but she was very calm and relaxed while walking the Oka over some very rough terrain. Got the nod of approval. Very happy with its performance and capability.

G'day Kev, hope your trip went OK also. Was good bumping into you up north. Will ring you about window belt, thanks
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cuppa

More
02 Nov 2020 18:04 #7 by rob and jan
rob and jan replied the topic: First Trip away in #290
Good Story Muz good that you managed to keep the truck going and deal with the issues as they presented them self's all part of 4 X 4 good work on the Oka looks great is your tray longer on the back than a normal M/C may be just your photo

More
02 Nov 2020 19:02 #8 by Muz1970
Tray length is 2M, back of Jerry can holders is 50mm under allowable over all length. (60% of wheelbase). Canopy is same length as where the towbar finishes, Previous owner had shortened rear chassis and it wouldn't support original towbar properly, only picking up on the front slugs. Chassis was extended 300mm to support towbar better with extra slugs welded in, 3 per side. The extension also helped with setting up the canopy mounts.

More
03 Nov 2020 07:15 #9 by Lang
Lang replied the topic: First Trip away in #290
The screws coming out of the free wheeling hubs is very common. There has been a bit of discussion about this.

I have lost 4 hubs (3 on the OKA and one on a Dodge Power Wagon) due to the screws coming out despite all my efforts. Every trip even on bitumen only, I would be tightening the screws.

The instruction sheet with the AVM and other badge engineered units says not to use Loctite as it will make them hard to remove with that puny Allen screw. Ever since I started using the lightest strength Loctite I have never had another problem - and you can get them out!

Lang

More
03 Nov 2020 12:54 #10 by Peter and Sandra OKA 374
Peter and Sandra OKA 374 replied the topic: First Trip away in #290
A smear of silicon under the heads of the little bolts also stops them backing out.

OKA 374 LT Van, converted to camper/motorhome,
400ah Lithiums, 1100w solar, diesel cooking heating and HWS,
Cummins 6BT, Allison 6 speed auto, Nissan transfer.

More
03 Nov 2020 13:07 #11 by Lang
Peter

I went down that path a while back even going so far as to fill the whole cavity on top of the screw but still had a couple come loose near Hungerford.

Lang

More
03 Nov 2020 14:04 #12 by Rick Whitworth
Rick Whitworth replied the topic: First Trip away in #290

Lost lots of these allen bolts and if you use enough locktite to be sure to keep them in they are bastards to get out.
Its the interminable never ending corrugations that does it.
Made these simple stainless keepers held on to the hub steps with nylock nuts.
I have had allen bolts come loose since but have never lost one.
Attachments:

More
03 Nov 2020 15:22 #13 by Lang
Nice design Rick

I do not have the steps (they kill my bare feet) but a good idea.

Lang

More
03 Nov 2020 17:43 #14 by rob and jan
Thanks Muz,

The 2 meters tray is a way better size to work with I find mine to be too short. Do you still have all the seats in the cab or have you changed this as well?

More
03 Nov 2020 20:53 #15 by Muz1970
Didn't realize the hub bolts was such a common problem. Good to know. Great idea Rick, simple but effective.

Hey Rob, Cabin was gutted and I made a base for bed, has a mattress 2m x 1.2m. 40L engel beside bed with under bed storage.

More
04 Nov 2020 07:05 #16 by rob and jan
Thanks Muz for sharing this looks like you have this all covered. Did you look at moving the rear axle back when you put the extended tray on when moving the Tow Bar?

More
04 Nov 2020 09:49 #17 by Muz1970
No Rob, towbar is in original position. Just the chassis above was extended at very end.

More
04 Nov 2020 10:18 #18 by rob and jan
Muz ok chassis is still standard but the deck rails are longer to support tray thanks for the prompt reply