Comms

More
25 Jan 2021 06:46 #1 by Holmz
Holmz created the topic: Comms
Got the Delorme InReach set up a couple of days ago.
(Interestingly Delorme spell checks as Delores, which translates from Spanish as "Sorrow")

I opted for the monthly, middle of the road plan.
Does anyone else use these types of things for 2-way communications?
The following user(s) said Thank You: mort

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Jan 2021 09:10 #2 by mort
mort replied the topic: Comms
Hi Holmz,
I have never heard of it until your post so just googled it and it appears to be a good safety device to have.
Keep us informed on how you go with your use.
Martyn

More
25 Jan 2021 12:45 - 25 Jan 2021 12:47 #3 by Tony Lee
Tony Lee replied the topic: Comms
Started with a SPOT which had pretty serious limitations and when that failed under warranty, I bought a Delorme SE in Santiago Chile - which for our purposes has no limitations at all.
We pay AU$40 per month. Tracking points generated every 10 minutes, lots of present messages plus can pair with smart phone for sms 2 way to any mobile or email in the world.
2 way SOS which most plb can't do. Present messages to email and phone contact lists to advise setting up camp, all OK, or whatever
Unlike Spot which uses geosynchronous satellites, the Delorme works all over the world and on rare occasions it is shaded - tunnels etc - it just keeps trying until it gets confirmation back so you can see that all tracking points have been sent and verified
Obviously slow via sms but you can 2-way communicate with anyone, even emergency services if they can accept emails or sms

I use it with a service called Spotwalla which polls all the tracking and messages and produces a travel map which can be private public or available to selected people

Tony
Last Edit: 25 Jan 2021 12:47 by Tony Lee.

More
25 Jan 2021 12:57 - 25 Jan 2021 13:02 #4 by Tony Lee
https://photos.app.goo.gl/YCwh7VwcQme8JoCA7

Is the sort of map you get using Delorme plus Spotwalla
Fully configurable to show camping spots, coordinates, speed and messages and can embed photos too

Tony
Attachments:
Last Edit: 25 Jan 2021 13:02 by Tony Lee.

More
25 Jan 2021 16:14 #5 by Holmz
Holmz replied the topic: Comms

mort wrote: Hi Holmz,
I have never heard of it until your post so just googled it and it appears to be a good safety device to have.
Keep us informed on how you go with your use.
Martyn

Delorme to Delorme allows for emails, which one reason I am enquiring.
Sending email...

More
25 Jan 2021 16:22 #6 by Holmz

Tony Lee wrote:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/YCwh7VwcQme8JoCA7

Looks like you had to sneak into Vic using some backroads? :whistle:

More
26 Jan 2021 04:55 - 26 Jan 2021 05:00 #7 by Tony Lee
No sneaking required. We were waiting near the border clutching our Tasmanian travel authorisation to cross contaminated Victoria, when it was cancelled because south Australia suddenly became the new unclean (or rather parts of Adelaide did).
Suddenly Victoria became the best place to be since they were just about clean whereas south Australia was likely to be locked down for weeks.

So I put the ferry back three weeks and drove to the SA Vic border. Stopped in confusion as there were no Vic police stopping unclean SA from contaminating now-clean Vic, BUT the SA Police were still there stopping clean Victorians from getting into dirty South Australia. Very strange.
Bloke waiting to get into SA chuckled and waved me through.
Was at least two days before they sorted it out and shut the gate.

No sneaking required.

Waited out our two weeks to become clean Victorians, got a new Tasmanian travel authorisation, and here we are enjoying mild temperatures instead of roasting on the mainland

Tony
Last Edit: 26 Jan 2021 05:00 by Tony Lee.

More
26 Jan 2021 10:13 #8 by Holmz

Tony Lee wrote: ...
No sneaking required.

I mentioned it in more of a tongue in cheek sense. Or intended to at least.