Dana 80

More
05 Nov 2012 17:06 - 05 Nov 2012 17:23 #1 by Paul
Paul created the topic: Dana 80
Gday is anyone running the 80s yet or do you know the story or are they available ? cheers

98OK
A0
Last Edit: 05 Nov 2012 17:23 by Hal Harvey.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Nov 2012 18:58 #2 by Rick Whitworth
Rick Whitworth replied the topic: Dana 80
Paul Nott and Ian Jones have both successfully installed Dana 80's
Paul is a Dana maestro and knows OKA running gear inside out. He tried to negotiate supply of Dana 80's to OKA as a solution to the NT Ruasian diff problem
Would have been a great production solution but I suspect that one off converions don't come cheap

Rick

Rick Whitworth: OKA XT 149.

More
06 Nov 2012 05:36 #3 by Outback Jack
Outback Jack replied the topic: Dana 80
I think Doc was looking at it at one stage.

Others have have talked about it as well.

Paul would be the best bet, however its not a cheap excerise.

I really dont see the need to go Dana 80`s. Just beef up the front, change the rear to 35 spline if you have 32 spline.

The rear still confuses me, as I thought all OKA`s come with 35 splines. But I dont think that is the case.

More
06 Nov 2012 06:34 - 06 Nov 2012 06:36 #4 by Alister McBride
Alister McBride replied the topic: Dana 80
All the rears came with 32 spline. Doc was going to upgrade to D80's all round but decided against it when the original supplier (dynatrac) were being difficult, i too had this problem. Doc has gone down the track of beefing up both his original diff's. It's been discussed heavily in the old forum but the current diff's seem to be suitable for most people, it all depends on what you do with the OKA, what you need, what you're willing to do without and how much time and money you have to splash around... To be honest the D60 front is overloaded 'spec' wise in an OKA, however they seem to hold up ok with the rare broken ring and pinion, diff centre, bent housing etc with the main problem being the 29 spline outer stubs which again some people don't have any problem with but are easily upgraded if need be.

I will be often overloading my OKA, it is a farm vehicle in general and i live in an area with steep hills, muddy gullies and a lot of in-between. I've had quite a bit of time on my hands this year so included in my rebuild is a D80 rear and D70 front diff's. I'm doing this because both my diff's had major issues (it had done a lot of km's) i won't go into detail but it was a choice of rebuilding the stuff i had or building up new one's which were 'spec' wise more appropriate for the OKA (IMHO) and my use for it. I'm building up my own diff's but have done a lot of research to learn about it all (D70 fronts aren't common!), for anybody looking to upgrade i would heavily suggest you talk to Paul Knott first (he has a really good setup available and is bulletproof) and do your research. As with any mod there's a lot of little bits and pieces to consider along the way which aren't obvious from the start!

Happy OKAing!
Last Edit: 06 Nov 2012 06:36 by Alister McBride.

More
06 Nov 2012 09:00 #5 by Outback Jack
Dana 70 at the front would be a good option. However there are a lot of OKA`s out there who have done some hard yards and not had problems.

I am not sure if that Speno (Spelling) OKA has any major works, but it seems to cope with extra weight etc.

If you do go ahead Alister, dont forget to share with some pictures and other information.

Are you going ahead with Pauls diff`s or doing it your self?

More
06 Nov 2012 09:47 #6 by Alister McBride
OBJ the front D70 has been done a few times, each time differently but i would prefer not to publicise pics of mine for various reasons but it can be done... As i've said, i've had a LOT of time spare to work on it and unless you're in the same position i'd save the bickies and get one of Paul's (or equivalent) if you want to upgrade. The D80 rear can be done but again you should probably talk to Paul first. He also has some good advice on it all.

On a different note something that hasn't been done is the Unimog 416 portal axles, i'm pretty sure it could be done if you really wanted a monster! ;)

More
09 Nov 2012 01:52 #7 by Peter and Sandra OKA 374
Peter and Sandra OKA 374 replied the topic: Dana 80
AFAIK the Speno Oka had the standard diffs but the driver did comment that it was regularly overhauled and had been subject to a couple of "Full" rebuilds in its life.
Personally I think if you keep below GVM, don't drive like you stole it and use an Oka for normal touring duties then the standard diffs are up to the task.
If you want bigger. more powerful engines, bigger tyres and wheels, regularly load it over GVM and are going to try rock hopping, mud bogging and generally try to do with it what you would with a smaller lighter more powerful 4wd or even use it to its full capacity on a regular basis like Alister does then yes an axle upgrade might be a good idea.

OKA 374 LT Van, converted to camper/motorhome,
400ah Lithiums, 680w solar, diesel cooking heating and HWS,
Cummins 6BT, Allison 6 speed auto, Nissan transfer.

More
24 Nov 2012 13:21 #8 by PeteFox
PeteFox replied the topic: Dana 80

Alister McBride wrote: All the rears came with 32 spline. i would heavily suggest you talk to Paul Knott first (he has a really good setup available and is bulletproof) and do your research. As with any mod there's a lot of little bits and pieces to consider along the way which aren't obvious from the start!

Happy OKAing!

I had a look at Paul Notts D70 and D80 setup yesterday. They are really well done and seriously beefy, no shortcuts here..

Pete Fox OKA266 MultiCab
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

www.byles.net/www.oka4wd.com/forum/membe...oka-266?limitstart=0

More
24 Nov 2012 19:58 - 24 Nov 2012 19:59 #9 by Alister McBride
You'll find they're both Dana 80's (which helps with common spares), but yes, they are bulletproof! There are even a few little options he can do as well...
Last Edit: 24 Nov 2012 19:59 by Alister McBride.

More
24 Nov 2012 20:07 #10 by Outback Jack
Even though I love the idea of Dana 80`s. I still think it is a lot of money for a little gain.

Besides going to Paul and buying his Dana 80`s there doesnt seem much of an option to upgrade.

I think standard diffs are OK, providing you service them and perhaps upgrade the splines etc.

Some sort of diff lock etc.

It doesnt appear this OKA has one.

I could be wrong, bit hard to tell.

More
30 Dec 2012 09:51 - 30 Dec 2012 09:55 #11 by Alister McBride
I disassembled my D60 front the other day and i can say after looking at it's condition and speaking with a few diff builders that it is over rated in the OKA. There's so much load that the forces disintegrate the carrier (backlash) shims over time completely removing any benefit from harder gears as once the carrier can slop around (and they do), the gear can just wear excessively or implode. Standard gears often break or chip. The open carrier pins often come loose causing damage. The housing often bends (i've seen some braced to stop this) and the C-Ends bend also (which can be upgraded on the original diff but why bother with these other problems). The steer knuckles and high steer arms are weak points also... And the obvious that the standard outer stubs are too small for the OKA.

The rear is a Dana 70U which is the lowest model Dana 70 available. It was used in the F250's early on (look at their GVM!) and was even upgraded for them! The carrier bearings spin in the housing and they regularly break the 32 spline shafts (usually left hand side, can be upgraded).

To back this up, i was looking through the albums on the previous site a while ago and saw one OKA (from WA i think) doing a river crossing and got stuck only to be winched out by two other 4wd's, they found on removal that this process had blown both diffs! The album has been lost, maybe one of our esteemed site moderators can find the photo album somewhere... ;)

I have nothing to sell but these are the facts that affected why i'm doing what i'm doing... Each to their own, as i said earlier, it's not for everyone but the above influenced me to change (i hope i haven't forgotten anything!).
Last Edit: 30 Dec 2012 09:55 by Alister McBride.

More
30 Dec 2012 11:13 #12 by Outback Jack
I would love Dana 80`s, and think they are more suited to an OKA, but the cost is the problem. Last time I checked it was 10 to 15k I think.

More
30 Dec 2012 12:00 #13 by Chris James
Chris James replied the topic: Dana 80
Hello all,with all this discussion on the 80 diffs,can someone tell me the difference between a 70 and an 80? I was led to believe that the only difference was the tube wall thickness, from 1/2inch to 9/16inch. Bearings,seals,axles,gears etc.all being the same.Have I been led up the garden path ?????? Chris

Chris & Shirley 096

More
30 Dec 2012 15:31 #14 by Tony Lee
Tony Lee replied the topic: Dana 80
Hmmmmm!!!
Looks like I might have to start towing my OKA around to keep the driveline from blowing up.

More
30 Dec 2012 16:08 #15 by dandjcr
dandjcr replied the topic: Dana 80

Alister McBride wrote: To back this up, i was looking through the albums on the previous site a while ago and saw one OKA (from WA i think) doing a river crossing and got stuck only to be winched out by two other 4wd's, they found on removal that this process had blown both diffs! The album has been lost, maybe one of our esteemed site moderators can find the photo album somewhere... ;).

Alister, I have recovered most of the photos of that event which I think was Stephen Knowles Oka 391.

I'll upload them into a gallery somewhere and post a link. It'll take but a few minutes.

Regards, your esteemed moderator (one of them anyway).

David and Janet Ribbans - Oka 148
Oka148 profile here.
Visit our technical and travel blogs: here.

More
30 Dec 2012 17:05 - 30 Dec 2012 17:10 #16 by dandjcr
dandjcr replied the topic: Dana 80

Alister McBride wrote: The album has been lost, maybe one of our esteemed site moderators can find the photo album somewhere... ;)

Alister, I have uploaded Stephens Oka 391 photos (there were no captions) and enabled the Photos and Videos function which we have been experimenting with. It's part of a larger social community function, the remainder of which is currently inhibited while we consider its value and complexity.

There is a new members-only menu item "Community" under which are 2 sub menus "Photos" and "Videos". Clicking on either will enable another menu bar from which the photo and video albums can be seen. Click on "All Photos" to see all uploaded photos, not just those under your user name (if any). Please ignore other icons on that menu, they won't work properly.

I had already up loaded a large number, but not all, of previously lost photos from the old website in the same categories as the used to be. To do this I logged in as other members which is how some albums appear with their original owners. Unfortunately it was not possible to recover any captions for the photos, only the album titles and owners.

This is still all experimental but the photo function seems to work fine, including the uploading of photos, however uploading of videos is not yet properly sorted so will not work effectively.

Let me know if this works OK for you and I'll republish a more specific notice in the Announcements section.

David and Janet Ribbans - Oka 148
Oka148 profile here.
Visit our technical and travel blogs: here.
Last Edit: 30 Dec 2012 17:10 by dandjcr.

More
30 Dec 2012 18:54 #17 by Outback Jack
I think the Dana 80 was replaced by the AAM 11.5 in most vehicles after around 2000

More
31 Dec 2012 07:55 #18 by PeteFox
PeteFox replied the topic: Dana 80

Chris James wrote: Hello all,with all this discussion on the 80 diffs,can someone tell me the difference between a 70 and an 80? I was led to believe that the only difference was the tube wall thickness, from 1/2inch to 9/16inch. Bearings,seals,axles,gears etc.all being the same.Have I been led up the garden path ?????? Chris

Chris
the Dana axles are all different:

Dana 80 rear - ring gear size 11.25" - gross axle weight 10,100 lbs - 4590 kg
Dana 70 rear - ring gear size 10.5" - gross axle weight 8.580 lbs - 3900 kg
Dana 70 front - ring gear size 10.75 - gross axle weight 8,400 lbs - 3818 kg
Dana 60 front - ring gear size 10.1" - gross axle weight 7,350 lbs - 3340 kg

the above data is for new Dana axles in 2012 , which may be different from that fitted to our Okas.

A 'Dana 80' front axle is not a thing that is made by Dana, though some specials are built aftermarket in the US.

The 'Dana' axles that Paul supplies are not the same as these and therefore his weight rating may be different from these. Paul uses imported mechanical components but the tubes, housings, carrier, knuckles and hubs etc are all made in Aust.

"I would love Dana 80`s, and think they are more suited to an OKA, but the cost is the problem. Last time I checked it was 10 to 15k I think."

Lobo, the cost of a pair of Dana 80's is well above these prices.

Alastair,
I don't doubt that the Dana 60 experiences all of the problems that you mentioned and probably more, but according to the data above they exceed the Oka load limit of 2400kg by a margin of 39%. If these figures hold true for the Oka version of the axle.
Perhaps at least some of the issues you mention are to do with age/metal fatigue and or abuse/overloading.

Pete Fox OKA266 MultiCab
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

www.byles.net/www.oka4wd.com/forum/membe...oka-266?limitstart=0
The following user(s) said Thank You: Joseph Baz

More
31 Dec 2012 09:14 #19 by Chris James
Chris James replied the topic: Dana 80
Hello Peter,thankyou for your info on axles.Like all OKA owners I would like to upgrade to the heavier diffs for peace of mind for load carrying and in the rough stuff.After breaking a rear axle last year,I upgraded to 35 spline axles as part of a full rebuild of the rear.I am currently preparing to upgrade the 60 front with chrome moly uni's and 35 spline outers with Warn premium hubs.That will have to do me. Chris.

Chris & Shirley 096

More
31 Dec 2012 09:22 #20 by Joseph Baz
Joseph Baz replied the topic: Dana 80
I may add, Dana 70 axle tube 3,5" inner axle diam 1.5",Dana 80 axle tube 4" inner axle dim (35 splines 1.5",7 splines 1.58"),there is no much difference in axle diameter but is the overall robustness the makes the 80 a great axle,Paul Nott 80's are the best that I have seen they leave Dynatrac for dead,also the track widening by 100mm,4 piston brake calipers and removable spindles makes the OKA a much better beast.
Cheers,Joe