Fuel Tanks

More
27 May 2015 05:45 #61 by Paul Scherek
Paul Scherek replied the topic: Fuel Tanks

Tony Lee wrote: We don't need to build weak points into our vehicles Paul since we can just mount our boxes essentially straight on the chassis. The hoipoloi have to come up with all sorts of ways to try and avoid rough roads tearing their vehicles and living quarters to bits.

Agreed Tony, it is so good not to require fancy mountings such as tri-point etc. But I am curious as to this "kinetic mounting". The flexing chassis so beloved of every manufacturer except Oka seems to me a total dud of an idea - have Traveltrucks really tamed it with just a few rubbers? Apologies, this is a bit off-topic.

I see you are near Vienna...... wish I was as gung-ho as you two are.

Cheers, Paul

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 May 2015 06:11 #62 by Joseph Baz
Joseph Baz replied the topic: Fuel Tanks

Paul Scherek wrote:

Paul and Sue Crompton wrote: The centre "kinetic" suspension mounting is also visible, immediately to the rear of the fuel tank."

I wonder what - if anything - 'Kinetic Suspension' means? Is it just rubbers as in the Oka, or is it really something special?

Paul,I have seen one of the early travel trucks with the Aluminium canopy around Perth and the frame wasn't anything elaborate,just long bolts with springs under to take up the slack when the chassis flex and on the Iveco it flexes a LOT.
Cheers,Joe

More
27 May 2015 06:17 #63 by Paul Scherek

Joseph Baz wrote:
Paul,I have seen one of the early travel trucks with the Aluminium canopy around Perth and the frame wasn't anything elaborate,just long bolts with springs under to take up the slack when the chassis flex and on the Iveco it flexes a LOT.
Cheers,Joe

Thanks Joe. It is a mystery to me why so many trucks have such weak chassis - surely the cost of box section metal isn't that much greater than "C" section? It is all very well for the manufacturers to say that chassis flex is part of the springing - but have you ever tried to put a shock absorber (damper) on the length of a chassis?

Cheers, Paul

More
27 May 2015 07:51 #64 by Paul and Sue Crompton
Paul and Sue Crompton replied the topic: Fuel Tanks
Hi folks, not too sure on the details of the suspension on the new Iveco 4WD but for those who would like to look at the build and a few more details, please go to:

aussiemotorhomers.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=4246

I think you will find most chassis on 4WD trucks were only designed for road use and modified to suit. The 4WD trucks I drive in the rural fire brigade certainly have a lot to be desired as the wheel travel is certainly poor, however, there is of course a few exceptions. The ones obviously designed for off road work ie Oka, Unimog etc. I am not saying that the new Iveco 4WD has a poor suspension as I have not driven one yet but they are starting to get into the rural fire fleet.

Paul.

Paul Crompton - OKA 168

More
27 May 2015 08:30 #65 by TH
TH replied the topic: Fuel Tanks
Iveco chassis looks like it was borrowed from a hilux. Then there is the electronic problems they have been having. Falls short of my expectations

Cheers, Tony

More
27 May 2015 09:44 #66 by Paul Scherek

TH wrote: Iveco chassis looks like it was borrowed from a hilux. Then there is the electronic problems they have been having. Falls short of my expectations

They do seem to be a bit of a mixed bag. Some owners say they are brilliant off-road and on corrugations, others say they rattle their bones even on a smooth bitument surface. Others say the brakes are dire..... and no engine braking. Hooray for the Oka!

More
27 May 2015 09:52 #67 by OKABloke
OKABloke replied the topic: Fuel Tanks
Hi Peter
There are some issues you may need to look in to when replacing the tank on the outside of the chassis. On the tanks fitted to the OKA the drain is fitted forward on both left and right side. This is so in an accident the tank can not came out of the frame and become a missile.

For Sale:
XT and LT Parts and Service Manuals Available on CD or Download. $150.00 Set

OKA 4x4 Facebook Page
www.facebook.com/groups/1597409843913222/

David

More
27 May 2015 10:15 #68 by OKA 138
OKA 138 replied the topic: Fuel Tanks
My experience with the heavy truck chassis up to road train was the manufacturers have one chassis that does all and is made to accommodate a variety of engines transmissions and axles of different power/load ratings but the chassis can be uprated for heavy application by adding inner insert rails and more x members etc which reduces the flex with the high torque generated in pulling the heavier loads,the draw back being heavier tare weights which ironically means the payload on the lead trailer is reduced.The Mack Titan we operated tared over 13tonns full of fuel a similar truck for single trailer operation would have a tare around 10tonns.
So I guess the manufacturers of smaller vehicles would follow a similar system to reduce assembly line costs but instead of extra main rail inserts or outer supports they beef up the mounts where they attach/welded to the chassis and fit more equipment that dosent transmit the twist back to the chassis like the plastic tanks and the spring loaded body mount bolts
As stated our Oka box section chassis is a fairly rigid unit and probably weighs more than Iveco chassis of a similar size truck.We probably don't worry to much about our weights as long as its legal [tongue in cheek]
You can't polish plastic like alloy tanks though.

Cheer Dave

More
28 May 2015 15:28 - 28 May 2015 15:28 #69 by Peter_n_Margaret
Peter_n_Margaret replied the topic: Fuel Tanks
One of the 2 new tanks going into NT001.
Longer and wider than standard.

Cheers, Peter.
OKA196 tinyurl.com/OKA196xtMotorhome
Mob.0428171214
Attachments:
Last Edit: 28 May 2015 15:28 by Peter_n_Margaret.

More
28 May 2015 15:53 #70 by Peter and Sandra OKA 374
Peter and Sandra OKA 374 replied the topic: Fuel Tanks
David
374 only has one tank on the LHS and the drain is at the rear. The RAAF had a bank of batteries where the RHS tank would go.

OKA 374 LT Van, converted to camper/motorhome,
400ah Lithiums, 1100w solar, diesel cooking heating and HWS,
Cummins 6BT, Allison 6 speed auto, Nissan transfer.

More
28 May 2015 18:32 #71 by Tony Lee
Tony Lee replied the topic: Fuel Tanks
"One of the 2 new tanks going into NT001.
Longer and wider than standard."

So reduced the weight of the box and then add it back by installing bigger tanks???

Tony

More
28 May 2015 18:55 #72 by Peter_n_Margaret

Tony Lee wrote: "One of the 2 new tanks going into NT001.
Longer and wider than standard."

So reduced the weight of the box and then add it back by installing bigger tanks???

As Ruedi rightly says, "They don't have to be full".

Cheers, Peter.
Mob.0428171214

More
29 May 2015 04:09 - 29 May 2015 04:10 #73 by Peter_n_Margaret
These are the body mounts Ruedi is using on the MAN.
4 off - basically 1 near each corner with a rubber sheet isolator between the 2 rails.
He is also going to use the same on the OKA.

Cheers, Peter.
Mob.0428171214
Attachments:
Last Edit: 29 May 2015 04:10 by Peter_n_Margaret.

More
29 May 2015 06:55 #74 by Paul Scherek
An interesting arrangement, but it doesn't look as though it would offer a lot of lateral support.

More
29 May 2015 12:59 - 29 May 2015 13:04 #75 by OKABloke
OKABloke replied the topic: Fuel Tanks
Peter
Re: 374 only has one tank on the LHS and the drain is at the rear.
LT Tanks we have here have a drain at the bottom of the tank at the rear and a lug welded on the front of the tanks and a spacer which passes through the tank bracket, there is a cut out in the frame for this location lug. The XT Tanks this is also the drain plug.

For Sale:
XT and LT Parts and Service Manuals Available on CD or Download. $150.00 Set

OKA 4x4 Facebook Page
www.facebook.com/groups/1597409843913222/

David
Attachments:
Last Edit: 29 May 2015 13:04 by OKABloke.

More
29 May 2015 13:51 #76 by PeteFox
PeteFox replied the topic: Fuel Tanks

Paul Scherek wrote: An interesting arrangement, but it doesn't look as though it would offer a lot of lateral support.

The lateral support is in the vertical tab you can see behind the eye bolt. Stops sideways and fore and aft movement.
Pete

Pete Fox OKA266 MultiCab
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

www.byles.net/www.oka4wd.com/forum/membe...oka-266?limitstart=0
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paul Scherek

More
29 May 2015 18:28 #77 by Joseph Baz
Joseph Baz replied the topic: Fuel Tanks
How long will it take for the horizontal bolt to bend and everything will be flapping in the wind....uuummmm
Cheers,joe