Tyre Pressure Monitoring System via Bluetooth - the iTPMSystem

More
18 Jan 2013 18:37 - 19 Jan 2013 07:34 #1 by Hal Harvey
Hal Harvey created the topic: Tyre Pressure Monitoring System via Bluetooth - the iTPMSystem
I was reading another thread on tyre monitors last week and had a light bulb moment - something to the effect of 'Apple should make a TPMS' - which logically led me to the App Store, searched TPMS, and came up with (amongst a couple of others) this product - which is also available for Android devices. In case that link ever fails, googling iTPMSystem also works. This is a very new product, only released in late 2012.

So I ordered a system with external senders that screw on to the valve stems (so over internal sensors), it turned up this week, and I've been running around with it set up on the town car. I don't have the OKA to try it on at the moment. It's been working fine. A couple of hundred dollars.

Two serious improvements over all those other systems that I really like:

1) the tyre senders send to the module via radio frequency like all the others, but then the module displays the information on the screen (iPhone, iPad, iPod, whatever) via Bluetooth - i.e. if your Bluetooth device is in the car, it's operating. You don't necessarily need to use any dash space. You don't even have to use the same 'headset' device each time. Even if you don't have the screen up, it sends text-like alerts if there is a low tyre. I did actually have a low tyre, and already knew it but was ignoring it, but was getting air into it pronto after this thing started demanding it. You wouldn't fail to notice the alarm.

2) the software is up-to-the-minute - I installed the app last week, and there was a software update on Sunday morning that I received wirelessly over the home internet. And the software is way easier to use than anything that involves pushing buttons, because it's made for touch screens. Minimum and maximum tyre pressures and temperatures can be adjusted within the program in seconds via on-screen slides, and the number of tyres is unlimited.

So, that's the good part. The bad part is that the software, at this stage, appears to limit the 'Pressure High Limit' to 45psi (range 25-45), and the 'Pressure Low Limit' to 20psi (range 20-30) - too low a maximum and too high a minimum for what we do. However this may have just been because the senders got screwed on to tyres that all had 36psi in them (except one). The software may be smart enough to recognise what it's working with and adjust how it appears on the screen to be relevant. I won't know until I get more time to truly experiment (next month). But if you just wanted a set for the town car, they're looking good anyway.

The senders themselves will handle up to 130psi. It also remains to be seen whether they will send their RF signal adequately to the module through an OKA body. They're on a full-size Holden wagon currently, and that's OK. The external senders that I chose (internal is an option) have user-replaceable batteries, and will need new batteries every year or so; each one's voltage displays on the screen. The internal sensors are said to have a five-year life, because they're bigger to have bigger batteries in them. But I'll try the screw-ons for a while.

The setup screen doesn't have Taiwanese symbols on it; here (in Australia) it shows 'Telstra' or whatever, and your usual stuff. Also the Pressure line also now has the option of Bar figures, not shown here...

The TPMS screen doesn't have a picture of an OKA, but I'm sure they'll fix that for us...

Principal advisor to the Minister for Tourism, Liza Harvey MLA
... OKA 260 ... "I'm not leaving any sooner than I have to!"
www.byles.net/OLDportal/members-vehicles-public/5-oka-260
Attachments:
Last Edit: 19 Jan 2013 07:34 by Hal Harvey.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OKA in Africa

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Jan 2013 20:33 #2 by Peter_n_Margaret
Peter_n_Margaret replied the topic: Tyre Pressure Monitoring System via Bluetooth - the iTPMSystem

(so over internal sensors),

Why?

Cheers, Peter.
OKA196 tinyurl.com/OKA196xtMotorhome
Mob.0428171214

More
19 Jan 2013 00:12 - 19 Jan 2013 07:35 #3 by Hal Harvey
Hal Harvey replied the topic: Tyre Pressure Monitoring System via Bluetooth - the iTPMSystem
Mainly because the internal sensors are a pain if they stop working. My internet research leads me to believe there are essentially four types of sensors around:

1. External (screw on to the valve stem) with user-replaceable battery - what I chose. Because they have to be small and light, the downside is they have to have the batteries replaced every year, but that's easy.

2. External with non-replaceable battery - bigger, might not fit into an aluminum wheel, lasts two years, cost a lot to replace. Don't get them.

3. Internal as part of the valve stem (butterfly) - can be bigger again, so battery might last five years, but this is what I had on the last unit and I lost signal after a short time - so then the only thing to do is pull the wheel off, remove the tyre, fit a new sender, refit the tyre, refit the wheel and hope it works. After I had done that three times (and it still wasn't working) I was pretty sick of it. They also have a reputation for being broken by tyre fitters, even when they know they're there.

4. Internal strapped on to the centre of the rim - what most vehicle manufacturers do for markets where TPMS is mandatory I believe - but so far uncommon in the aftermarket. Bigger battery again so they outlast the vehicle warranty, don't get broken by tyre fitters, generally robust. The iTPMSystem manufacturer doesn't offer them yet, but all these senders appear to use the 433.92mHz frequency, so there's a likelihood that senders of one brand will work with receivers of another - might be something for later.

Last Edit: 19 Jan 2013 07:35 by Hal Harvey.

More
19 Jan 2013 00:33 #4 by Peter and Sandra OKA 374
Peter and Sandra OKA 374 replied the topic: Tyre Pressure Monitoring System via Bluetooth - the iTPMSystem
When we fitted our TPMS system we had a choice of all of the above types of sensor, talking to other Oka owners and 4wder's in general quickly made the decision that the internal strapped to the rim type were the ones to go for, the tyre fitter also agreed with my choice, just put them next to the valve was his choice as then most fitters took care at this position and damage was unlikely.
The fitters experience with mostly imported high end vehicles was that the butterfly ones were quite often broken either when the tyre ran flat or were snapped off by centrifugal force, he had had several vehicles come in for new tyres and the sensors were floating around inside the tyre. The drivers in two cases had said the system worked ok for a year or so and then stopped.
The app Hal has found looks good but I've got too much crap relying on the phone now let alone any more. I suppose though if we already didn't have a TPMS systenm in already you would have to consider it on a cost basis alone.

OKA 374 LT Van, converted to camper/motorhome,
400ah Lithiums, 1100w solar, diesel cooking heating and HWS,
Cummins 6BT, Allison 6 speed auto, Nissan transfer.

More
19 Jan 2013 08:37 #5 by Peter_n_Margaret
Peter_n_Margaret replied the topic: Tyre Pressure Monitoring System via Bluetooth - the iTPMSystem
Anyone have experience with internal sensors transmitting through ALL steel tyres (305R70/19.5 XDE2 Michelin, in particular)?

Cheers, Peter.
OKA196 tinyurl.com/OKA196xtMotorhome
Mob.0428171214

More
16 Apr 2013 23:55 #6 by Hal Harvey
Hal Harvey replied the topic: Tyre Pressure Monitoring System via Bluetooth - the iTPMSystem
I'm still finding my way with this but am definitely happy with it on the town car. There has been more software updates and the setup screen currently looks like this:

and I can confirm that it does work with OKA-style tyre pressures; it makes its own range adjustments dependant on what pressure it senses when first screwed on. Nice. Adjusting the range you want when you adjust tyre pressures is really easy.

This is how it appears in the usual screen you want to see...

It has an occasional habit of losing the Bluetooth connection, though in fairness only about as often as the phone does - always inexplicable. I see the latest software update claims a fix in that area. I still haven't spent enough time with the OKA set to analyse if it receives the signals consistently enough, but it's fine in the wagon.

I've added to the OKA dash a couple of mini iPads, one of which is now set to connect to the iTPMS. You don't have to have the display up for it to send alerts - in fact you don't even have to have it switched on, as it will send a text-type alert if it requires your attention. The iPads are of course used for navigation programs, controlling the stereo via Bluetooth or direct connection, and the usual calendar items and emails etc. They fit perfectly on the LT dash. More on that later.

Attachments:

More
17 Apr 2013 06:24 #7 by dandjcr
dandjcr replied the topic: Tyre Pressure Monitoring System via Bluetooth - the iTPMSystem
Hal, I like the iPad mini set up, makes our 17inch monitor look positively clunky.

The tyre sensors include a G Sensor. What would that be used for, displaying the height of corrugations?

David and Janet Ribbans - Oka 148
Oka148 profile here.
Visit our technical and travel blogs: here.

More
17 Apr 2013 07:49 #8 by Tony Lee
Tony Lee replied the topic: Tyre Pressure Monitoring System via Bluetooth - the iTPMSystem

Peter_n_Margaret wrote: Anyone have experience with internal sensors transmitting through ALL steel tyres (305R70/19.5 XDE2 Michelin, in particular)?

No, but I have had experience with the internal sensors NOT transmitting and that is why Hal and I are "so over internal transmitters"

Tony

More
17 Apr 2013 09:22 #9 by Hal Harvey

dandjcr wrote: The tyre sensors include a G Sensor. What would that be used for, displaying the height of corrugations?

Seriously, I would be guessing that it stops the sensors from transmitting when the vehicle is stationary, so as to not run down the batteries faster than necessary.

More
17 Apr 2013 12:08 #10 by OKABloke
OKABloke replied the topic: Tyre Pressure Monitoring System via Bluetooth - the iTPMSystem
Did you get sensors for your trailer? A trailer is where you need Tyre Pressure Monitoring the most

For Sale:
XT and LT Parts and Service Manuals Available on CD or Download. $150.00 Set

OKA 4x4 Facebook Page
www.facebook.com/groups/1597409843913222/

David

More
17 Apr 2013 12:37 #11 by Hal Harvey
I did but I haven't experimented with them yet. That will be one for next week but at this stage I don't have great faith; and also the display doesn't really support it - even though the number of sensors it can receive is unlimited, at this time the software only displays up to four. I have yet to figure out how to make that work for me.

More
17 Apr 2013 17:26 #12 by PeteFox
PeteFox replied the topic: Tyre Pressure Monitoring System via Bluetooth - the iTPMSystem
Hi Hal
Sorry this is off topic
That's a schmick looking transfer case shifter. Can you please post up some details.

Pete Fox OKA266 MultiCab
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

www.byles.net/www.oka4wd.com/forum/membe...oka-266?limitstart=0

More
18 Apr 2013 11:14 #13 by TH
TH replied the topic: Tyre Pressure Monitoring System via Bluetooth - the iTPMSystem
With you there Pete.

The selectors add to the pleasure of driving it. Really well engineered.

Cheers, Tony

More
18 Apr 2013 13:11 #14 by Tony Lee
Tony Lee replied the topic: Tyre Pressure Monitoring System via Bluetooth - the iTPMSystem
with an auto main gearbox, the transfer case lever is pretty much just for show

Tony

More
18 Apr 2013 13:48 #15 by PeteFox
PeteFox replied the topic: Tyre Pressure Monitoring System via Bluetooth - the iTPMSystem

Tony Lee wrote: with an auto main gearbox, the transfer case lever is pretty much just for show

Yes Tony, I agree, it's great though isn't it

Pete Fox OKA266 MultiCab
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

www.byles.net/www.oka4wd.com/forum/membe...oka-266?limitstart=0

More
18 Apr 2013 14:19 #16 by Dean and Kaye Howells
Dean and Kaye Howells replied the topic: Tyre Pressure Monitoring System via Bluetooth - the iTPMSystem

dandjcr wrote: ......................................The tyre sensors include a G Sensor. What would that be used for, displaying the height of corrugations?

I looked into this some time back when G sensors were the new trend in TPMS. They either inhibit the sensors from sending under a certain speed or caused them to transmit less frequently. This was to enhance battery life or t o allow a smaller/lighter/cheaper battery to be fitted. The 'switch fully on' speed was typically around 20 Km/h which made them pretty useless for off road so I didn't go ahead with it.

Deano

More
18 Apr 2013 20:03 #17 by Hal Harvey

PeteFox wrote: That's a schmick looking transfer case shifter. Can you please post up some details.

They are Winters Sidewinder shifters; appropriately customised for the two purposes. A Google search will present you with enough options to confuse. Cass installed them but had to replace both the cables with locally-made ones.

The following user(s) said Thank You: James and Usha, PeteFox

More
25 Jun 2013 09:12 #18 by Hal Harvey

OKABloke wrote: Did you get sensors for your trailer? A trailer is where you need Tyre Pressure Monitoring the most

Hank's OKA 428 write-up on his new TPMS reminded me to update this. I did a run up to Kalbarri and back to Perth towing a trailer, so I added sensors to the trailer and got everything set up as best I could; this time operating the head unit display via one of the iPad Minis (I use the iPhone in the town car). There's nothing like real-world testing to see if things will really do what you want them to.

At this stage and I expect for a while to come, this iTPMS does not do the job with a trailer, on two fronts; the display software doesn't lend itself to showing more than four tyres at once, and I tried a myriad of ways to be clever about that but couldn't have it happen; and even if there had been a way, I could only ever get it to pick up one trailer sensor, not both.

Granted the module that links the sensor to the display is under the dash - just about as far away from the trailer tyres as it could be - and I would be sure to see an improvement if I simply plugged it into a location in the back half of the OKA rather than the front, which is very easily done. But until the display software is updated to suit it's a bit of a moot point. Though, having said that and now thinking about it, there's nothing to stop me extracting my other iTPMS from the town car when I do the next OKA trip, plugging the module in down the back, and using the other iPad Mini to be the head unit for the two trailer tyres and the two spares.

On the town car, and on the OKA's four road tyres, the system works very well and I would happily recommend it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: TH

More
25 Jun 2013 18:36 #19 by TH
TH replied the topic: Tyre Pressure Monitoring System via Bluetooth - the iTPMSystem
This and Hanks posts are very timely as I am considering a TPMS at the moment. Tyredog 2300 in the lead followed by the tyreguard system. I'm no mac-head so a dedicated system seems easiest.

Cheers, Tony

More
08 Mar 2014 16:42 #20 by Outback Jack
Outback Jack replied the topic: Tyre Pressure Monitoring System via Bluetooth - the iTPMSystem
Hal,

Any update of your mini Ipad installs?