Weight of 19.5" Oka rims

More
06 Mar 2013 11:12 - 06 Mar 2013 11:29 #1 by PeteFox
PeteFox created the topic: Weight of 19.5" Oka rims
G'day
does anyone know the weight of an Oka 19.5 x 7 steel rim?

I am looking at purchasing some 19.5 x 7 alloy rims that are rated at 5000lb (2270kg) per wheel and weigh only 20.5kg each. I have seen these as low as $US 200 ea.
What I am trying to work out is the weight saving I can expect. I am thinking it should be in the order of 20+kg per wheel. There is some info I have seen on the old site in the past about the weight of a wheel and tyre (85kg?), but I cant find out what a tyre weighs, only what it can carry.

Has anyone fitted these rims?

This may give me the option to carry 2 spares and be no heavier than I am now and it should lower the unsprung weight, improving ride on dirt and corrugations.

Pete Fox OKA266 MultiCab
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

www.byles.net/www.oka4wd.com/forum/membe...oka-266?limitstart=0
Last Edit: 06 Mar 2013 11:29 by PeteFox. Reason: update

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Mar 2013 11:51 #2 by PeteFox
PeteFox replied the topic: Weight of 19.5" Oka rims
Found an answer to my question on the old website (it's probably here somewhere too)

from Peter_n_Margaret

"My 19.5 x 8 1/4" tubeless rims weigh 30kg each and the 305 XDE 2s weigh 50kg each!"

So possibly not much to be gained as the tyre is the bulk of the weight. Bugger

Pete Fox OKA266 MultiCab
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

More
06 Mar 2013 12:01 #3 by Hank Onthewater
Hank Onthewater replied the topic: Weight of 19.5" Oka rims
I have a 7.5x19.5 steel rim without a tyre, just put on a digital scale: 28.6 Kg
The following user(s) said Thank You: PeteFox

More
06 Mar 2013 14:37 - 06 Mar 2013 14:42 #4 by Dean and Kaye Howells
Dean and Kaye Howells replied the topic: Weight of 19.5" Oka rims
Hi Pete, I've been looking at the same Vision mags and Mr Wheel Deal advised me last week that they were dis continued. But looking elsewhere I find that they are ex stock, ie run out, though the black ones are available. Best I've seen for the black ones is AUD $177 plus delivery etc.
I've got the super solid centre (1/2" thick steel plate) 19.5" rims which are way over the top for me at a GVM of less than 4 tonne but perfect for a 'heavy' OKA. They weigh in at 43 Kg each and are practically indestructable.

Actually the Vision 81's ? are 7.5" not 7" wide.

Deano
Last Edit: 06 Mar 2013 14:42 by Dean and Kaye Howells.

More
07 Mar 2013 05:44 #5 by PeteFox
Thanks Hank and Deano
My rims are about 10mm thick in the centre, so I guess these are the "normal" ones. I find these a bit of a lift to stand up so I imagine the heavy duty ones are a real pain..
At $177 each though I am still tempted.

Pete Fox OKA266 MultiCab

More
07 Mar 2013 06:24 - 07 Mar 2013 06:41 #6 by dandjcr
dandjcr replied the topic: Weight of 19.5" Oka rims

PeteFox wrote: Found an answer to my question on the old website (it's probably here somewhere too)

Pete, yes all the Maintenance and On The Road topics were transferred. The old website might not be around much longer.

You can use the Forum Listings, click on "Wheels and Tyres" and chose your topic eg How Wide is a Tyre . See also Which wheel weighs the most .

You could also use the Search function but you'll normally get too many suggestions unless you know the exact topic title. A search for "tyre weight" will return 61 answers and "wheel weight", 81 answers. You can refine the search by selecting "titles only" but I still think the Forum Listings (last updated 27 Jan) will get you there faster.

David and Janet Ribbans - Oka 148
Oka148 profile here.
Visit our technical and travel blogs: here.
Last Edit: 07 Mar 2013 06:41 by dandjcr.

More
08 Mar 2013 17:41 #7 by PeteFox
Can't resist it, never was much of a mug lair, but got to have a set of mags for the Oka.

Mr Wheel Deal can supply machined finish mags, set of six just under $1200 delivered.

Machined finish doesn't matter though because I am going to paint them camo green so I don't look like a mug lair ;-)

Pete Fox OKA266 MultiCab

More
08 Mar 2013 18:03 #8 by Outback Jack
Outback Jack replied the topic: Weight of 19.5" Oka rims
What did you settle on?? 19.5?? and what tyres you putting on it?

More
08 Mar 2013 18:34 #9 by PeteFox
Lobo
Because
I already have 19.5" wheels with new tyres
None of the currently available 16" mags have much of a safety margin for the Okas 5500kg GVM let alone 266's 6600kg. And not many 16" tyres do either.
We are not looking to do trips where we have to air down excessively, been there, done that before the Simpson and Canning became a highway full of lets say ........ ill mannered dickheads who leave rubbish around and think they own the place. rant rant
I like the way 19.5" tyres feel on the road, large diameter 16" tyres seem to wallow about to me and give a vague feel to the steering.

Pete Fox OKA266 MultiCab

More
08 Mar 2013 18:54 #10 by Outback Jack
Peter, so you went with the Mags on top of the post and using your existing tyres?? What is your existing tyres and why do you not need to reduce pressures? I thought all tyres needed price out of them for sand/dirt roads etc.

More
08 Mar 2013 19:22 - 08 Mar 2013 19:23 #11 by PeteFox

Outback Jack wrote: Peter, so you went with the Mags on top of the post and using your existing tyres?? What is your existing tyres and why do you not need to reduce pressures? I thought all tyres needed price out of them for sand/dirt roads etc.

Lobo
Tyres are Hankook DH05 - 305 70R 19.5.
I didn't say I don't need to reduce pressures, what I said was I don't need to air down excessively because of the trips we do. This is because I don't intend to do extensive beach work or major sand dune crossings - i.e. no more Simpson or Canning trips for us. The Oka for us is a way of getting our van into camps that others can't get into ( or out of) with a heap of room to take all the toys.
So it's mostly highway / dirt road miles for us for which the 19.5" wheels are a good but not perfect choice.
Plenty of members here have however done a lot of successful off road work with 19.5's, so they are reasonably capable.

Pete Fox OKA266 MultiCab

Last Edit: 08 Mar 2013 19:23 by PeteFox.

More
08 Mar 2013 19:55 #12 by Outback Jack
Ok Pete, thanks for explanation.

Wheel size choice seems to be a very personal thing. I would like to get rid of the standard 16 inch rim, but confused by the choice available. Some have suggest 16.5 inch is the now the way to go.

I think 16 inch was the way to go, but now there seems to be other choices around. I will probably do some sand work, but think any size would suit.

More
09 Mar 2013 05:25 #13 by Peter and Sandra OKA 374
Peter and Sandra OKA 374 replied the topic: Weight of 19.5" Oka rims
Don't even consider 16.5" it is dead and buried as far as tyres go. It was a weird size used by the Yanks and there never was a huge choice of tyres especially here in Oz. The Humvee has 16.5" rims and there has only been one local supplier of tyres in one size and one tread type for several years now.
Of course you can import whatever you want but whatever you decide should include availability of replacements in remoter areas.
Currently the best available range of 4WD type tyres,tread patterns and sizes with the correct load range for an Oka is in the 17" rim size.

OKA 374 LT Van, converted to camper/motorhome,
400ah Lithiums, 680w solar, diesel cooking heating and HWS,
Cummins 6BT, Allison 6 speed auto, Nissan transfer.

More
09 Mar 2013 06:38 #14 by Outback Jack
Cheers Peter.

17 Inch hey, OK will see options that has. Seems a funny size for OKA as it has mainly been 16 or 19.5

Wonder what other vehicles use 17 inch, I will see what mags and tyres are available in that size.

What profile does people suggest for a 17 inch.

More
09 Mar 2013 07:03 #15 by PeteFox
After a long conversation about splitting my order into two shipments so I don't get hit with another customs ripoff with
GST + fees which amount to about an extra 25%, Mr Wheel Deal has stuffed it up

" I'm afraid it looks like we mistakenly quoted you for shipping in the US, so sorry. Shipping will be ........ "

Yeah yeah, 'nuff said. It must be this cranky old bastard syndrome I've got, but I hate getting mucked about.

Gees these steel wheels are good........., mags are for mug lairs anyway.

Pete Fox OKA266 MultiCab

More
09 Mar 2013 07:08 #16 by Outback Jack
Thats not good.

My freight qoute from Mr Mag was around 600 dollars for 4 mags at around 500 dollars for the mags for memory.

More
19 Mar 2013 05:36 #17 by Peter Davis
Peter Davis replied the topic: Weight of 19.5" Oka rims
Has anyone come across 19.5 inch rims with a 8.25 inch width in a steel or alloy suitable for Oka stud pattern and weight?

More
07 Apr 2013 05:40 - 07 Apr 2013 08:55 #18 by OKABloke
OKABloke replied the topic: Weight of 19.5" Oka rims
RE:Has anyone come across 19.5 inch rims with a 8.25 inch width in a steel or alloy suitable for Oka stud pattern and weight?

Mullins Wheels in Adelaide can make them

For Sale:
XT and LT Parts and Service Manuals Available on CD. $150.00 Delivered
### OKA Manuals Now Available as a Download ###.

20mm Spring Hanger Pin Upgrade Kits.

David
Last Edit: 07 Apr 2013 08:55 by OKABloke.

More
14 Oct 2015 06:38 #19 by Peter Davis
Peter Davis replied the topic: Weight of 19.5" Oka rims
Is anyone interested in purchasing 19.5" x 7.5" alloy wheels.
Set of 4 rated at 6600 Lb (forged) $2067 USD plus freight .
Set of 6 rated at 4500 Lb (cast) $1860 Aust dollars includes sea freight or $2460 by air freight.
Ideally I would like 8.25" forged.
Has anyone already got a set and are you happy with them?

More
14 Oct 2015 10:01 #20 by Ralley
Ralley replied the topic: Weight of 19.5" Oka rims
Do you have pic's and more info?

Rob