Toughdog shockers

More
03 Nov 2012 06:28 #1 by dandjcr
dandjcr created the topic: Toughdog shockers
Forum Home > On the Road > Toughdog shockers

len&rina
I bought the toughdogs but have found the diameter is such that spacers are required to clear mounting brackets,has anyone experienced this.I would have thought it unsatisfactory but the suppliers reckon ok.
--

September 26, 2010 at 2:15 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Paul & Sue Crompton
Hi Len and Rina - my apologies for not getting back to you earlier about the Ralph shockies. The previous owner put them on the Oka and I removed the front ones about 3 years ago. The only reason I replaced them with the Munroes was the availability at the time. I cannot recall whether any spacers were used. If there were any, it would only be an extra washer. The Ralphs I still have are on the back but if I recall correctly, they were actually to suit a Landcruiser (don't know the model and they were not modified at all ie valves). The Ralph shockies I have are non adjustable but the visual size are quite large. I maybe able to find a part number on the shockie if that helps but not for a few days. I believe the shockies were about 7 years old when I purchased the vehicle 4 years ago and I know the shockies have done many many kms on corrugated roads. So I would certainly have no hesitation in recommending those shockies.

If you need any more info, give me a call.
--
Paul & Sue Crompton

September 26, 2010 at 4:15 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Dandj
We have had Ralph shockers on our Oka for 3 years and they've done 50,000 km of pretty rough work.

Yes, extra washers are required to space their body away from the chassis but they only need to be about 6mm and I made them from 6 mm plate. We've had no problems except one did leak, which the supplier (4WD1.com.au) replaced immediately, even though it was a bit out of warranty.

I probably wouldn't buy them again due to their cost ($550 a pair) but they seem fine.

It's difficult to determine how well they operate since the previous Munroes were shot. They are possibly too stiff for the front, since you are sitting directly over the wheels and the shocks from any little corrugation comes straight up to you know where.

Regards,
--
David and Janet Ribbans, Oka 148

September 26, 2010 at 5:16 PM

David and Janet Ribbans - Oka 148
Oka148 profile here.
Visit our technical and travel blogs: here.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.