Door Mirrors

More
31 Oct 2012 20:05 #1 by dandjcr
dandjcr created the topic: Door Mirrors
Forum Home > OKA Maintenance > Door Mirrors

Hal Harvey
Site Owner
I replaced the door mirrors on 260 tonight. I had smashed one on a narrow track a few weeks back, not for the first time, so off we go again... now the originals were flat glass, which were seriously dangerous in my humble opinion. They had those round convex mirrors stuck on them as possibly my first modification, 12 years ago. I don't know how anybody could drive an OKA without convex mirrors.

My inevitable little bit of internet research revealed that the original Britax mirrors now come in flat, slightly curved or really curved. My new Holden has a flat driver's side mirror and a curved left side mirror. I reckon the OKA needs more than that, and given that the new Britax product has a much better mounting than the 15-year-old ones, I thought I should get two new ones, not just one. So I got one slightly curved for the driver's side, and one really curved for the passenger's side. Part numbers are 7112-022 and 7112-020, but I don't know which one is which now.

I haven't driven it yet but it looks like the goods. The left side one's mounting bolt snapped off when I came to remove it, which tells me it had been clamped up ridiculously tight to hold in the first place. The new one clamps up with two small hex-drive machine screws, and no effort. Much better.
--
Hal

September 30, 2010 at 12:08 AM Flag Quote & Reply

David Hallandal
UES Int. Have a great range of Unbreakable External Mirrors, the size is very close to the OKAs but has a great curve and can use on the Left or right and no need to add blind spot mirrors, I have been using these for 3 Years and would never go back to the britex that were on there before, worth a look,
UES Mirrors Link

September 30, 2010 at 7:50 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Hal Harvey
Site Owner
Which only goes to show a bloke should ask the question here before doing anything!

The Britax mirrors (original equipment) are 282mm x 174mm. The convex radius on the two are 450mm and 1800mm. I finally found the spec sheet - 450mm is more convex (wider view) than 1800mm. So I have 7112-022 on the right and 7112-020 on the left.

The UES model VM50 might be the one - 280mm x 230mm. Or the VM1, 309mm x 209mm. The curvatures on those are 400 (really wide) and 2200 (a bit wide) respectively. The mounting system appears to be the same as the newer Britax mirror.
--
Hal

September 30, 2010 at 8:12 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Tony Lee
My motorhome in Germany has convex mirror on the driver's side and I hate it to the extent I reckon they should be banned. Passenger's side is OK but you need perfect distance judgement when pulling out into the traffic stream after a roadside stop or road merge and you just don't have that. Add fast moving traffic to the equation and you might just as well pull out without even looking in the mirror. Convex mirror on the other side doesn't cause the same sort of problem because you use it in traffic moving roughly the same speed and you have plenty of opportunity to make yourself aware of roughly where other vehicles are.

I've had other vehicles overtake me (when I was doing 130kmph) with a relative speed of over 100km per hour - impossible to spot them with convex mirror.

That said, the convex mirror on the OKA was on the driver's side when I bought it so I swapped them over. Trouble is it is not convex enough and it makes it very difficult to drive in traffic - so I may get the super-convex one and see if that makes it any easier.
--
Tony

picasaweb.google.com/114611728110254134379

September 30, 2010 at 9:03 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Hal Harvey
Site Owner
There's a heap of stuff on the net, road safety research reports, that basically say the benefit of a convex mirror on the driver's side (less lane change accidents) outweighs the downside (what Tony describes above). But even if you do go with a flat one, with our seriously thick B pillar you definitely still need a little convex one stuck to it. If you go with a full convex mirror, the more curvature (lower number) it is the harder it is to gauge distance and speed. Fortunately I usually have pretty good out-the-back vision through windows, which many owners don't have.

I was thinking about the polycarb (unbreakable) mirrors vs glass ones after David's post, and I probably still would have stuck with glass (Britax) anyway. I used to wear polycarb sunglasses because they're light and unbreakable, but they do lose their clarity over time, and are dirt magnets compared to glass. I'd clean polycarb sunglasses four or five times a day, and glass ones once, so I went back to glass. I just had a smashed lens replaced in my Maui Jims too. Anybody would think I break things.
--
Hal

September 30, 2010 at 9:46 AM Flag Quote & Reply

dingo
Hay Hal,
Thought you would have grabbed set of these little babies.

Polaris Rear Vision

Have a look at the cm700, side door cameras!!!!!
We need some one to buy, try and advise!
Thanks,
Tim.
September 30, 2010 at 10:47 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Hal Harvey
Site Owner
I've got the rear vision camera screen mounted alongside the internal rear vision mirror. Had it there for two years now. Must get around to installing the camera!
--
Hal

September 30, 2010 at 10:51 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Paul & Sue Crompton
I broke the driver's side mirror last year - those trees just jump out! I replaced it with a slightly convex mirror which made life a lot easier as I think the original must have been flat which I found inconvenient when driving in heavy traffic. The other trucks I drive are fire brigade trucks and their mirrors must be slightly convex as they make using them much easier.

As far as reversing cameras, I installed a Jaycar which was reasonably economical and mounted it just below the rear window. If I was to mount it again, I would mount it above the rear window facing downwards as this would give you more depth. The main reason for fitting the reversing camera was if I was reversing into a busy place there was no way to see if there were any children behind the vehicle. The one I purchased is fine for this purpose.
--
Paul & Sue Crompton

September 30, 2010 at 4:41 PM Flag Quote & Reply

John & Laura Szkoruda
Thanks for all that info guys, we may need mirrors in the near future also, as tree's keep jumping in front of our mirrors also, especially on the Old Telegraph Track Cape York & some of the narrow bush & beach tracks we take. We have flattened ours several times & the brackets were cactus John repaired them, but sooner or later we will need new ones.
--
John & Laura Szkoruda OKA 147

October 1, 2010 at 5:29 PM Flag Quote & Reply

OKA in Africa
I smashed one mirror and have to get replacement now. Looking at the conversations a convex mirror seems to be the best option. If you have any additional internet links for adequate mirrors please share them with me.
Since I have no access to my OKA at the moment, can anybody help me with the diameter information of the metal bar the mirrors are mounted on?

--
OKA 327 in Africa

photo album

February 26, 2012 at 12:34 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Hal Harvey
Site Owner
These are the Britax products:

Driver's side
Passenger side

... also available with flat glass. After more than a year of driving around with the above combination, I'm completely happy with them and would use the same again if ever required.

Sorry, I don't have that bar diameter but would guess 12mm; the above mirrors will clamp on to anything 10-22mm.
--
Hal

February 26, 2012 at 1:10 PM Flag Quote & Reply

David Hallandal
www.uesint.com/upload/pdf/Unbreakable%20Mirrors.pdf
VM2 Series are the ones you want, No vibration like the originals, Excellent rear and side Vision, no need to add blind spot mirrors and Unbreakable (but not scratch proof) and when i got a set were cheeper then the Britex units. Available from: UES International,
--
David Hallandal
OKA-131 Home Page
OKA Camper Trailer
XT and LT Service Manuals on CD For Sale
20mm Spring Hanger Upgrade Kits For Sale

February 26, 2012 at 4:50 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Peter 334
Im in the middle of replacing mine to stainless bars and it is 16mm with a 10 mm mount end or for those who work in inches, 5/8 cheers peter
February 26, 2012 at 7:47 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Tony Lee
I've asked UES for prices on the VM2 and VM3 mirrors so will let you know.

Only slightly off topic. Peter ( & Margaret)- did you have to alter your rear vision brackets to get them out further to see around the wide body.
Haven't been out on the road since I built the box (2100 wide) so can't really tell. Turning the mirrors on the side does get them out further but may not be quite enough.

Completely off-topic

How do they know?

Dogs here went berserk and I figured it was either the moon poking through the clouds or someone walking past on the road as usual, but it was louder and longer. Then the house started shaking fairly violently, but not for long enough to force me outside.

I guess having 4 feet on the ground makes them more sensitive to the low intensity advance shocks.
--
Tony

February 26, 2012 at 10:10 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Peter_n_Margaret
Mine are sideways and out as far as possible, but it is not really quite enough.
Still on the ''to do'' list.
--
Cheers Peter, OKA196 Motorhome. www.oka4wd.com/xt196.htm

February 27, 2012 at 8:45 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Tony Lee
Hmmmm. Would tell you the price but they don't seem to want to reply.
Do UES sell direct or only through retailers?
--
Tony

March 8, 2012 at 3:54 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Dandj
In Adelaide UES sells direct, so probably other outlets too.
--
David and Janet Ribbans, Oka 148

March 8, 2012 at 5:46 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Tony Lee
Heard back after another email

"The pricing will be as follows:
VM2: $48.09
VM3: $63.00
All prices are exclusive ofG.S.T.
Freight would be $20.00 to getthem to you."

--
Tony

March 8, 2012 at 9:51 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Paul Scherek
Hi all,

I bought some larger mirrors from UES. They fit straight on to the Oka arms and the extra width is good for my 2100mm body. However.... the bloody things are flimsy, and at idle they vibrate so badly that it is impossible to see out the back. This makes parking very difficult unless one revs the engine, not a good thing with the ceramic clutch.

I have yet to experiment with bracing - I will try to do that later today and report results.

Cheers,

Paul
March 9, 2012 at 8:46 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Tony Lee
"I bought some larger mirrors from UES."

Which model - or failing that, what size.
--
Tony

March 9, 2012 at 9:59 PM

Paul Scherek
Apologies for the slow reply. I have been nose down and bum up playing with my new hobby - chopping up bits of aluminium to stick together my de-laminating composite panels........

The receipt from UES has long gone, but the label on the back of the mirror is "Ashtree" with four groups of numbers - 03 6640, 03 6639, 02 6639 and 02 6634. The outer dimensions are 380 x 190mm and the glass size is 355 x 165.

I haven't tried bracing them yet, but it doesn't look easy.
March 12, 2012 at 1:16 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Tony Lee
Close in size to their VM100 so quite a step up in size from the OKA originals.

I may just keep the existing mirrors - one flat and the other slightly convex - and just extend the bracket a couple of inches. Last year one of the gearbox struts broke and I kept the bit of round bar and it is exactly the same size as the mirror bracket rod. NEVER throw anything out.
--
Tony

March 12, 2012 at 10:29 PM

David and Janet Ribbans - Oka 148
Oka148 profile here.
Visit our technical and travel blogs: here.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.