Clutch

More
01 Nov 2012 11:46 #1 by dandjcr
dandjcr created the topic: Clutch
Forum Home > OKA Maintenance > Clutch

Mark Pain
Hi all,

I have to get at the clutch in my XT.

Paul Nott said the best way was to pull the Transfer Case, GearBox and Bell Housing out as one.

I was going to put a trolley jack under all this to get it out. Where is the best place to support it from?

Regards Mark Pain
September 6, 2010 at 10:43 AM Flag Quote & Reply

David Hallandal
Had Mine Out Not That Long Ago.
The will be 2 holes where the 2 long alignment rods bolt on at the back of the Gearbox then is a balance point for the whole assembly
Make a plate to go between the 2 holes with a shaft in the middle of the plate to fit in the centre hole of the jack, will need a long reach jack to get the height
Will try and finding some photos for you
Don't Forget to support the back of the engine
September 6, 2010 at 4:21 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Mark Pain
Thanks for that. I have to head interstate for work tomorrow, but I'll start pulling things out next weekend. Any idea what size the big nut is that holds the park bake drum in place is? Largest socket I have is 32mm and its bigger than that - maybe 36?
September 6, 2010 at 6:02 PM Flag Quote & Reply

joseph baz
Mark,the nut in the rear flange is 1"5/16,taking everything out in one piece is tricky,I split the transfer were it meets the aluminium housing,then slide it out,it is a lot easier and don't forget that every bit is bloody heavy and at the same time you can check the condition of the coupling bush between the gearbox and the transfer specially if you have a 23 spline bush and shaft,some failed without warning.
hope this is of some help
Cheers Joe
September 6, 2010 at 7:36 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Mark Pain
Hi all,

thanks for you help.

I have a couple more questions for you regarding the gearbox removal.

It looks as though it will be easiest to remove the gearbox/transfer case assembly, leaving the gearbox mounts attached to the chassis cross member and unbolting it from the chassis. This means the cross member has to slide back with the gearbox to get it out of the clutch plate and it then hits the water tank. To get the water tank out I have to slide it forward, before it will drop down. Trouble is, the water tank will not slide forward far enough, as it looks like the water tank filler hose is hitting another chassis cross member (cant see up in there for sure). To remove the water tank filler hose I'd have to remove the tray to get at it from the top.

There must be an easier way.

Regards
mark pain
September 24, 2010 at 10:13 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Mark Pain
Sorry all,

the second question was regarding removing the gear change linkage.

The linkage slides onto a spline coming out of the gearbox. It looks like the easiest way to remove it (so the gearbox can be removed) would be to slide this off the splined shaft. Mine wont slide off. Should it? In which case I may need to wedge open the female part, or should I undo it further back towards the gearshift?

Thanks again

Regards
Mark Pain
September 24, 2010 at 10:30 PM Flag Quote & Reply

David Hallandal
The photo below with the Transfer, Gear box and bell housing out
Arrow showing ballance point at bottom for the jack

September 25, 2010 at 9:22 AM

David and Janet Ribbans - Oka 148
Oka148 profile here.
Visit our technical and travel blogs: here.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.