Gearbox tie rods - one for the bush mechanics

More
01 Nov 2012 11:52 #1 by dandjcr
dandjcr created the topic: Gearbox tie rods - one for the bush mechanics
Forum Home > OKA Maintenance > Gearbox tie rods - one for the bush mechanics

Tony Lee
Just been under the machine making sure nothing major is falling off beforte we start down the Hay River road and then across to Birdsville.

See that one of the gearbox-engine tension rods has broken. It's the top one on the starter motor side (as you would expect, the most difficult to get to). Broken at the gearbox end flush with the end of the flat bar welded on the end.

Question is - and obviously not one that can be answered with any certainty whatsoever - is this enough to require heading back to Alice Springs and fit a new one, or is it something that could be ignored for a while - bearing in mind of course, where we are heading to. Hay river road shouldn't be too bad and I no longer drive as if I'm on two weeks holidays but it is all relative
--
Tony

picasaweb.google.com/114611728110254134379

September 5, 2010 at 1:25 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Peter_n_Margaret
Good question..........
How big is the gap where it is broken?
If it is small, then it has not moved far.

You could borrow my Readywelder II.......... :-)

Cheers,
Peter
--
Cheers Peter, OKA196 Motorhome. www.oka4wd.com/xt196.htm

September 6, 2010 at 5:28 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Tony Lee
No gap at all. The two ends are hard against each other but displaced radially by about three millimetres. For it to move axially would mean there has been a significant displacement of one of the comnponents - clutch, gearbox - with respect to each other and I guess that shouldn't happen if the connecting bolts are all done up properly.

Not sure that simple welding would do much good because it would just break again unless the preparation and stress relieving was well done, but not hard to add some sort of doubling plates. Or buy a new one if they are available.

One advantage of not being in a hurry.
--
Tony

September 6, 2010 at 8:43 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Tony Lee
Robin suggests just get it welded up with some reinforcing.
Just noticed (wasn't very observaant before) that it has already been repaired once before. That time it was the flat bar that broke right across in line with the end of the slot the round bar is welded into. This time it was the round bar that broke in line with the end of the flat bar.

Looks like a trip back into Alice - only 75km - and find someone who can weld.
--
Tony

September 6, 2010 at 11:55 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Mark Pain
Hi,

Just been under mine scavenging about the clutch, and one of my tie rods is broken also. It's one of the bottom two, through the flat section at the end of the round. Also no movement apparent, I had just happened to use it pull myself over on the trolley. I stayed put, it moved.

Regards
Mark Pain
September 6, 2010 at 5:53 PM Flag Quote & Reply

joseph baz
Tony the rods are only mild steel with a mild steel flat bar any decent mechanic should be able to weld it,the rods are for support,what I have noticed is rhat failure occurs when people tight them unevenly and one of the rods end up coping the load.
Cheers
Joe
September 6, 2010 at 7:42 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Peter_n_Margaret
Intune Automotive
Now owned by Katherine & Steve Golding (May 2008).
275 North Stewart Highway, Alice Springs 08 8953 4322 This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Good people and know OKAs well.

Cheers,
Peter
--
Cheers Peter, OKA196 Motorhome. www.oka4wd.com/xt196.htm

September 6, 2010 at 7:51 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Tony Lee
Yes Mark, that is where mine broke the first time. Through the flat bar. If the slot was cut with a milling cutter and had sharp corners then add some welding stresses and "work hardening" and that is where you would expect it to break.

Ross Engineering will fix it thismorning. Intune needed several days to even have a look at the ball joint (when I thought I might have to get some help to fix it) so not much use. Straight welding job rather than mechanical anyway.

Since my rod end has broken already, I might get a new flat bar made about 2" longer and reweld the bar into it just like the original.

Don't think it is a matter of tightening one too much because there is a fixed shoulder on the top end (I think) and the nut is tightened down on that. No adjustment available.

I suspect it is very common failure. No sign of necking of the rod as you would expect if it were a simple stretch failure of mild steel. Brittle fracture straight across due to poor welding or ???
--
Tony

September 7, 2010 at 7:53 AM

David and Janet Ribbans - Oka 148
Oka148 profile here.
Visit our technical and travel blogs: here.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.