True or False

More
01 Nov 2012 13:42 #1 by dandjcr
dandjcr created the topic: True or False
Forum Home > On the Road > True or False

oka 098
Gday ,Sales rep up nth heard of a OKA tour bus with a 25 grand recovery on the CSR , has anyone out west heard of this. cheers
September 19, 2012 at 7:05 PM Flag Quote & Reply

wessa #400
I heard one broke down in June / July doing tours out of Alice Springs either on the Gunbarrel or Gibb and that all the passengers had to be ferried out. Haven't heard anything else. Cheers
September 19, 2012 at 10:15 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Outback Jack
25 grand recovery? Wow, just about cheaper to leave it there.
--

September 20, 2012 at 10:11 AM Flag Quote & Reply

travis
Posts: 57 Would be cheaper to take a ute full of spares and fix it or I will
--
Oka Performance Turbos, Intercoolers and exhaust Upgrades 0421678926

September 20, 2012 at 6:23 PM Flag Quote & Reply

joseph baz
I think it was an OKA that needed to get recovered into Newman,snapped the bolts holding the torque converter onto the flex plates,it's not unusual to clock up a big recovery bill with a usual size 4x4,then when you take into consideration passenger relocation and associated expenses,by the way there is no reason for the bolts to sheer if the job was done properly in the first instance,now look at the owners position,Allison....we don't bolt the transmission ,we just supply it,Cummins we don't bolt the engine to the tranny..we just supply it,now that leaves the hot potato to OKA.........uuuummmmm,the case really start to stink
Cheers,Joe

September 20, 2012 at 7:27 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Outback Jack
Thanks Joe, seems like it was an NT then.
I understand that big 4wd means a big bill sometimes with recoveries.
--

September 20, 2012 at 8:23 PM Flag Quote & Reply

okadoc
Hi All, had a phone call from the drive /owner I think from a sat phone at about 6 pm requesting assistance , told me they were camping down for the night and woud call again next morning, I then arrranged that night a freind with a tilt tray for a pick up the next day and Tom Cat accross the road to do the repairs for the guy as soon as it got back to Newman, as a member of the lodge we arranged for a busy bee to get the passengers back and the members arranged billeting at their homes and the lodge and a welcoming to Newman party at the lodge for when they retuned the only cost was $2/kilometer for the tilt tray and fuel for the passenger cars, Tom cat was supplying the labour with others from the lodge for a bit of the north west currency, (a few cartons on the night etc) everyone was ready to rock and roll the next day as soon as we got the call from a brother in trouble, it never arrived????
--
September 20, 2012 at 9:30 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Brendan Eblen
okadoc at September 20, 2012 at 9:30 PM
Hi All, had a phone call from the drive /owner I think from a sat phone at about 6 pm requesting assistance , told me they were camping down for the night and woud call again next morning, I then arrranged that night a freind with a tilt tray for a pick up the next day and Tom Cat accross the road to do the repairs for the guy as soon as it got back to Newman, as a member of the lodge we arranged for a busy bee to get the passengers back and the members arranged billeting at their homes and the lodge and a welcoming to Newman party at the lodge for when they retuned the only cost was $2/kilometer for the tilt tray and fuel for the passenger cars, Tom cat was supplying the labour with others from the lodge for a bit of the north west currency, (a few cartons on the night etc) everyone was ready to rock and roll the next day as soon as we got the call from a brother in trouble, it never arrived????
Hi fellow members, the break down was real, those who offered assistance were appreciated. Those members who read this with whom I spoke and offered wise words - THANK YOU
Not easy to arrange a vehicle recovery from CSR, some of the options were not practicle there were to many unknowns it required a complete dissasembly and only then could the issue be resolved.
I would like to thank you Doc for the offers you refer to above.(also I have written separatly to Doc)
I was able to arrange for the vehicle to be recovered into Newman there it was repaired. The passengers were ferried into Newman where the jouney continued through Wiluna, Laverton, Warrakurna, Docker River , Yulara and onto the Stuart Hiway at Erldunda on time to Alice Springs. I returned to Newman using a Toyota Coaster over the Garry Junction Rd crossing the CSR onto Punmu then Nullagine to Newman interesting drive for the first time an adventure never to be fogotten.
Vehicle repaired I drove home to Adelaide. From home to home this was a 15,000km trip over 5 weeks 2 tours.

September 22, 2012 at 1:16 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Outback Jack
HI Brendan,
Is this why your selling? You have lost faith?
--

September 22, 2012 at 2:23 PM

David and Janet Ribbans - Oka 148
Oka148 profile here.
Visit our technical and travel blogs: here.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.