Shock absorbers - recommendations

More
30 Oct 2012 12:37 - 17 Mar 2013 10:56 #1 by dandjcr
dandjcr created the topic: Shock absorbers - recommendations
from Tony Lee:
One of 123's rear shocks is weeping a tiny amount of oil when on corrugations so I guess it is time for some new ones. What is on there - guess is is OEM supply - seems to do the job on heavy corrugations so can't see a lot of point in going to the expense and trouble of fitting twin shocks or going too far away from what is there but maybe there is something a bit better to consider

The old OKA site lists Monroe, Magnum 60 Gas Shock Absorbers, Front and Rear, Part Number 66638.

Anything get a better recommendation.
Tony
September 19, 2010

from Joseph Baz:
Tony,the Monroes are very reasonable in price and quality.
Joe
September 19, 2010

from Hal Harvey:
I changed to Bilstein 7100s more for bling than function, as the original Monroes were mighty good. When I took the 66638s off after 200,000km all eight appeared to be, as best I could tell, in perfect nick.

I do believe the Bisteins are an improvement, but not a deal-breaker; the remote reservoir setup means they run cooler on corrugations and should behave better, but really, nobody's unhappy with the Monroes anyway.

One thing I did find odd was that OKA used the same shock whether the truck had four or eight. By rights an eight-shock truck should have softer valving, and I did go for softer valving with the Bilsteins (255/70 - there's a choice of six standard valvings off the shelf).

If I didn't lash out on the Billies, I would have stuck with the Monroes.
September 19, 2010

from Peter_n_Margaret:
We had an F350 4x4 with slide-on before the OKA. It used to destroy a pair of front shockers every trip.
When I bought "196" it was very tired all over, but the Munroe shockers seemed OK, so I left them on, but added 2 more second hand ones to the front to give 2 on every corner. I also had 3 other second hand spares laying around.
150,000km later and I have just purchased my first 4 new shockers. Amasing.
I bought Powerdowns. I had used them successfully before on the front of the Ford. They are adjustable and cost less than $100 each.
Good idea to have a few spare mounting bushes of good quality with metal tube centres.
September 20, 2010

from Tony Lee:
That is truly amazing - more or less agreement from four owners that there is not too much point looking for something better. Mine has only one on each corner so being the cheapskate I am, I guess that will be what goes back on.
Thanks.

Then comes the shock of finding that a part that costs about $30US in the States somehow costs $150 here.
If that is the price differential, I'd hate to think what the Bilteins would cost here from a local supplier
September 20, 2010

from Dave and Pauline Gray:
Good day Tony dont know if this helps but i changed to Powerdown shocks last year they are heavy duty double action units and rated for truck application I went into some extreme areas this year and they performed admirably. the price was $145 each inc gst and i had a freight charge in that price to as i had to import them from the east . The part no is RT41010 and i got them from Pedders suspensions
September 20, 2010

from Paul & Sue Crompton:
Hi Tony - I can recommend Ralph (Top Dog) shocks but they are so expensive, however, when you see the size, you can understand why. Having said this, we blew one over in the Kimberleys so ended up replacing it with Monroe gas shockies and still have the gas shockies on the front. I was hoping to do the Canning this year, and as I still have a pair of Ralph shockies on the back, I purchased a spare set of Powerdown shockies. If money was no object, I would certainly go back to the Ralphs, but to have them as a spare pair, it is just too expensive. The Ralphs were put on by the previous owner many many years ago and I know this vehicle has done lots of miles on corrugated roads. Bye for now.
September 20, 2010

from Terry Mclaaren:
I just purchased eight new Monroes (66638s) through REPCO and got the price down to less than $100 a piece. Monroe have just done a production run on these so they should be available.
September 21, 2010

from Tony Lee:
$100 is certainly better than a couple of online prices I saw.

US$29.45 - AU$34 - in the states. HUUUUGE difference that seems hard to justify.
September 21, 2010

from Peter & Sandra James Oka 374
$40 for 20lb by USPS airmail in a flat rate box, 4-5 days to get here.
If the place you can buy them won't post to Oz give me a yell as I might be able to get it sent to a friend who will onship.
Alternatively it can come by sea if there is no rush, USPS no longer send surface only airmail, beware of courier comapnies they charge like the proverbial
How much does each shock weigh?
September 21, 2010

from Joseph Baz:
Don't forget, Monroe magnums are a gas shockie therefore no air mail is accepted, I had sea freight arriving within five weeks.
Cheers
Joe
September 21, 2010

from Tony Lee:
Probably one of those 'ignorance is bliss' things.

From US store

"I am not aware of any restrictions. I have sent shocks by air and overseas before (including Australia). I may have missed something."
September 22, 2010

from Peter & Sandra James Oka 374:
I've had two sets of gas shocks come from overseas by airmail with zero problems. The seals are holding the gas pressure inside and the loss of outside pressure if transported in an unpressurised plane would be unlikely. I suspect that most airmail freight comes in a pressurised plane these days as otherwise the bubble wrap would all pop!
September 22, 2010

from Joseph Baz:
If you look at the Australian post dangerous goods list you will find that any goods with compressed gas is considered a dangerous good,these are international rules but is all to do with the customs declaration that you fill,I'm prety sure that if you tell the person that you're sending gas filled shockies the outcome will be different
September 22, 2010

from Tony Lee:
Shocks arrived and are installed.
Scientific appraisal of the results - by hooning (as much as is possible in an OKA) around over any bumps and washouts I can find - indicates a significant improvement.

One of the old ones was certainly suspect and is in the bin, but before I chuck the other three, I wanted to ask if it is worth carrying a spare shock or two around or whether it is just a waste of space because shocks usually fail gradually and you get plenty of notice - or do they often fail suddenly and totally.

I expected "gas filled" to mean they were under high pressure and would be supplied with strong straps to stop them extending until they were installed. Sort of like a gas strut that is impossible to push down by hand. In fact they were supplied with restraining straps that I had to cut to allow the shocks to extend enough to install, but it was quite easy to hold against the pressure by hand so hard to see how they could be much of a hazard in the post.
October 11, 2010

from Peter & Sandra James Oka 374:
They typically only have 5 or 6psi in them and the idea is that the pressure is in there to stop the oil aerating and foaming thereby causing the shock to fade. The pressure isn't in there to hold the vehicle up!
October 11, 2010

from Tony Lee:
Got the impression from the Monroe site that said the gas provides a "modest" improvement in suspension spring rate. Very modest, but I suppose every little bit helps
October 11, 2010

from Peter_n_Margaret:
There are two good reasons to fit two adjustable shocks on each corner.
1. They can be adjusted back to do "enough" work which means half of what a single would do at the same spot. Twice the oil half the work each means less fade and longer life.
2. If one dies there is a spare already fitted that can be stiffened up some more if required.

I don't see any value in the gas.
October 11, 2010

from Tony Lee:
"There are two good reasons to fit two adjustable shocks on each corner."

Ah. I thought it might have been to do with the extra weight and extra height.
October 12, 2010

from Peter_n_Margaret
Ah........well.............maybe a bit.............:/
October 12, 2010

from Hal Harvey
>> I wanted to ask if it is worth carrying a spare shock or two around <<

Not in my humble opinion; especially with these good quality products. Even if one did totally fail for some reason, it's no biggie as far as continuing to drive the vehicle anyway, until a replacement can be sourced.

>> They typically only have 5 or 6psi in them <<

Ah - no. You might be thinking of bars. Monroe Gas Magnums carry about 2.5 - 5 bars when new - about 40 - 70psi. My Bilsteins are about 200psi.

But that pressure isn't what's doing the shock work, that's the oil and valving. The nitrogen gas pressure is there to discourage the oil from foaming. Foaming = shock absorber fade on corrugations. That's why gas shocks are good on vehicles driven on corrugations.
October 12, 2010

from Pete Fox
Just an update on the Monroe 66638 shocks pricing. Sept 2012.
The best price I could find in Aus for these was $147 each (didn't try real hard because I knew it would be too expensive).
There are plenty of deals in the US but I went with Just Suspensions @ $US 38 each plus delivery.
I was going to mess about and put the best four of the old ones on one axle and the new ones on another but I ended up ordering eight, because the freight was $163 for four or $238 for eight.

Total cost $540 or $67 each. Less than the cost of buying four in Aus.
September 23, 2012

from okadoc
Hi all, we run exclusive Koni shocks on all our vehicles for about eight yrs now and after trying most types before that we have had no further problems and they make a massive difference to the off road handling on all vehicles, they hold the vehicles from drift in heavily corrugated corners etc , they are surprisingly good value overall, hope this helps, Cheers Doc and Lyn
September 23, 2012

from Dandj:
Re spare shockers. We broke a shock absorber mount off the drivers side front on the Gibb River Road a couple of months ago. We had two spare shockers with us but with only single mounting bolts on the front we couldn't use them.
I removed the shocker and we drove the next 4000km without it and barely noticed the difference. We do have airbags which provides some support and damping, but since the Oka chassis is so stiff, the passenger side shocker provided adequate front damping.
We could have had the mount welded back on in Kununurra but it would have meant a good deal of disassembly so I decided to fix it properly after getting home and fit dual shocker mounts on the front at the same time to minimise this problem in future.
David and Janet Ribbans, Oka 148
September 25, 2012

David and Janet Ribbans - Oka 148
Oka148 profile here.
Visit our technical and travel blogs: here.
Last Edit: 17 Mar 2013 10:56 by Hal Harvey.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Nov 2012 13:41 #2 by Alister McBride
Alister McBride replied the topic: Shock absorbers - recommendations
Hi all,
I'm after a few shock bushes, the Monroe part# is LS54 but tried the local Repco and Autobarn and they rang Monroe and Monroe said it's an American part number and they can't help... What part# have others used?
Cheers,
Alister

More
10 Nov 2012 14:02 - 10 Nov 2012 14:03 #3 by dandjcr
dandjcr replied the topic: Shock absorbers - recommendations
Alister, there's a couple of references to LS54 on this US website . Seems the LS54 number is the shocker end style, not the actual bush number.

Suggest you ask them (or TruckSpring , where I got my airbags from), I've found US companies quick to respond and have huge inventories of parts.

Oka148 profile here.
Last Edit: 10 Nov 2012 14:03 by dandjcr.

More
10 Nov 2012 15:04 - 10 Nov 2012 15:11 #4 by dandjcr
Alister, you should find a suitable size bush from here . Then check their website for availability and pricing. I tried EB219 (may not be the size you need) and it was $7.

I found the bushes difficult to remove and replace since the shockers have an internal tapered shape.

Oka148 profile here.
Last Edit: 10 Nov 2012 15:11 by dandjcr.

More
13 Nov 2012 07:41 #5 by Alister McBride
Hi David,
Thanks again for the info! I found the flogged out bush quite easy to remove as it had worn through on one side but the other more complete but perished bush looks like it'll be a bugger. I think a press may be the way to go... I've gotten onto a place in the states who may be able to send shocks and extra bushes so i'll post if they're able to help.
Cheers,
Alister

More
13 Nov 2012 08:39 - 13 Nov 2012 08:45 #6 by Outback Jack
Outback Jack replied the topic: Shock absorbers - recommendations
David,

Do you have pictures of your front dual shocks?? The LT`s have a different shock tower for dual shocks. Mine being an XT doesnt have the correct shock towers, so I am going to need to make something up to fit the dual shocks.

I have already fitted dual shocks to the rear.

The shocks I am using are here.

Power Down

Part number is RT41010, I have two on the rear and will have two on the front.

Last Edit: 13 Nov 2012 08:45 by Outback Jack.

More
13 Nov 2012 11:09 #7 by dandjcr
OBJ, I don't have dual shockers on the front right now but I am also keen to fit them to spread the load. I believe David Hallandal has fitted duals to his XT by replacing the whole tower.

I was going to investigate the possibility of just welding a new mounting bolt to the existing tower, but the slope on the leading edge may make this impractical without a large wedge to line things up.

I also have front airbags and their lower mounting plates will get in the way.

Anyone got any other thoughts?

Oka148 profile here.

More
13 Nov 2012 11:26 #8 by Outback Jack
I think it has been done before with out replacing the shock tower.

My idea is to use some box tubing with a bottom gusset. I will post pictures up when I have done it.

I will use the old shockie post from the rear. They was cut off when I installed dual shocks for the rear.

More
13 Nov 2012 15:16 - 13 Nov 2012 15:21 #9 by dandjcr
The mounting will have to be pretty solid as it needs to withstand some very severe shock loads. The mount which broke on ours was on a piece of 5mm plate which fatigued.

I'll be interested in your solution. Welding up the inside of the tower will be tricky with the floor pan in place.

Oka148 profile here.
Attachments:
Last Edit: 13 Nov 2012 15:21 by dandjcr.

More
13 Nov 2012 16:25 #10 by Outback Jack
I am going to tackle it tommorrow, so should have some picture then.

I am hoping having two shocks actually reduces the load on each shock, therefore reducing the damage you experienced. Time will tell I guess.

More
14 Nov 2012 15:42 - 14 Nov 2012 15:45 #11 by Outback Jack
OK Front Dual Shocks fitted.

Last Edit: 14 Nov 2012 15:45 by Outback Jack.

More
14 Nov 2012 16:00 - 16 Nov 2012 09:35 #12 by dandjcr
OBJ, it's a similar plan to what I was going to do but I would extend the lower edge further down so there's less stress on the circled joint.

You'll need to do the Gibb River Road to test it.

Oka148 profile here.
Attachments:
Last Edit: 16 Nov 2012 09:35 by dandjcr.

More
14 Nov 2012 16:43 #13 by Outback Jack
Well a trip to the Kimberly is on the cards mid next year, however there are a lot of roads around here that will give it a work out.

The guys in the workshop couldnt work out why I even bothered with dual shocks.

More
26 Nov 2012 06:14 #14 by Alister McBride
Hi all,

I finally got onto ordering the Powerdown EB219 bushes and the best supplier i found was Truckline, i think they have distributors all over the country but my closest was:
2-10 Decor Drive,
Hallam VIC 3803
(03) 9702 3344

Cheers,
Alister

More
26 Nov 2012 13:06 #15 by Tony Lee
Tony Lee replied the topic: Shock absorbers - recommendations

You'll need to do the Gibb River Road to test it.

Another road that needs renaming to reflect the current status.

Gibb River Highway, Birdsville Highway, Strzelecki Highway

More
26 Nov 2012 17:30 #16 by Peter334
Peter334 replied the topic: Shock absorbers - recommendations
Ive taken a few rubbers out of shocks, some times can be easy sometimes not but fitting is easy , all you need a vice some crc spray or grease and press it in , apply the spray or grease to one side only of rubber not great heaps alighn them in the vice so the rubber is in the right position and so it dosnt pop out the shock should be facing sky wards, then close the vice once past the no return it will slip in, allways remember to wear glasses and take your time. cheers peter

More
19 Jan 2013 19:03 - 19 Jan 2013 19:05 #17 by Alister McBride
Thanks Peter, that worked well!

OBJ and LT owners, just wondering what you've used as the dimension in the pic below? Wondering if the shocks are perfectly parallel or can rely on bushes taking up the slack a bit during full suspension travel?

Also, OBJ your new mount is slightly lower than the other, what's the reason for this (was it just so you could fit the mig gun in above the bracket?)?

Cheers,
Alister
Attachments:
Last Edit: 19 Jan 2013 19:05 by Alister McBride.

More
19 Jan 2013 19:09 #18 by Outback Jack
Height was determined by shockie length and how they line up.

I am hoping that in the future Al from OKA will have the LT shock towers, I would then replace what I have done. They are parallel and will be neater.

More
22 Jan 2013 04:24 #19 by Alister McBride
Just remembered yesterday while looking at it, the XT springs are on either 4 or 6 degrees (cant exactly remember) more angle than the LT so it probably makes sense to have them at different heights horizontally... But yes, looking at the pic above of Hal's setup it looks like the LT's shocks are exactly parallel vertically which spaces them out a fair bit!

More
22 Jan 2013 05:41 - 22 Jan 2013 05:46 #20 by Outback Jack
Also my spring hanger bolts to the chassis. Bit hard to explain, but I think late XT`s and LT`s front spring hangers bolt under the chassis, early XT`s bolt through the chassis.

Last Edit: 22 Jan 2013 05:46 by Outback Jack.