Turbos

More
30 Oct 2012 13:15 #1 by dandjcr
dandjcr created the topic: Turbos
Forum Home > OKA Maintenance > turbos

Peter 334
We finally took 334 out for its first run on the weekend to see how things were going, at 18 months refurb, now at our place we have a rather steep hill to conquer. It tests all who travel it, it's our road part off. So there is very little time to get speed up, I had to select 1st gear and chug up, so that in mind I thought it was time to fit a turbo on ours that gave boost at a better rev range. Fitted to ours is TA31 Garret which is the norm, has anyone fitted a different turbo that works better and at a lesser rev range, fitting is no probs as I have a spare engine to do the suiting to, to get it right.
September 17, 2012 at 5:27 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Tim 414
Hi Peter
I have just been talking to Jamie at Northside 4x4 in caboolture, Sunshine Coast. 0754955519. Jamie has done a number of Oka's and fits the same one that he does to 4.2 Patrols. The last Dyno report that he did showed a 50% improve on torque. I have just started investigating and am interested in your progress. Cheers

--
September 17, 2012 at 7:37 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Peter 334
Did he tell you what type and model he fitted , as i will fit it my self if i can get one thanks peter
September 18, 2012 at 4:18 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Pete Fox
The most common aftermarket turbo for the Perkins is a Garrett GT2860RS.
If you Google this you will find that there is a myriad of compressor and turbine wheels to fit this and knowing which ones are correct is the bit that the turbo guys keep to themselves as there is no money in you doing the conversion.
This is a water cooled turbo and will require some plumbing.
The turbo also needs an adapter to fit the Perkins manifold and you will have to fabricate a dump pipe as the stupid thing on the Perkins is a beast that was designed by some bloke who did it as a practical joke as he was leaving Perkins the next day.
--
Peter Fox

OKA 266 Multi-cab.

Photobucket album

September 18, 2012 at 4:28 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Peter 334
Have actually contacted Jamie at Northern 4X4 Qld, and some of the above info is a little incorrect. He actually makes up the turbo to suit but it does not come as a complete bolt-on unit. It comes in an assembly kit a lot of welding, fitting and modifications are required by you to fit it if you cannot get to him in Caboolture. His cost is $2600+ for the kit only. And then a good tune up is required.
Peter
September 18, 2012 at 4:52 PM

David and Janet Ribbans - Oka 148
Oka148 profile here.
Visit our technical and travel blogs: here.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.