Glitch in Private messages

More
28 Dec 2013 09:45 #1 by PeteFox
PeteFox created the topic: Glitch in Private messages
Dave/James/Hal

Not a complaint, just to make you aware that there may be a glitch in the PM system.
I got an email today with the text of a PM included that was sent yesterday, however the PM is not appearing in my msg list.

Might be just a one off, or a pointer to other issues
Pete

Pete Fox OKA266 MultiCab
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

www.byles.net/www.oka4wd.com/forum/membe...oka-266?limitstart=0

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Dec 2013 10:05 #2 by Peter and Sandra OKA 374
Peter and Sandra OKA 374 replied the topic: Glitch in Private messages
I've noticed that sometimes they can take a few days to appear, unless I'm missing seeing the notifications.

OKA 374 LT Van, converted to camper/motorhome,
400ah Lithiums, 1100w solar, diesel cooking heating and HWS,
Cummins 6BT, Allison 6 speed auto, Nissan transfer.

More
28 Dec 2013 12:47 #3 by Hal Harvey
Hal Harvey replied the topic: Glitch in Private messages
I do get a fair few PMs and haven't seen any misbehavior from the software in that area myself.

If you're using multiple bits of hardware just be sure that you're actually logged in on what you're looking at - e.g. I use a phone, three iPads and a couple of computers, and every once in a while for whatever reason one of them won't log me in automatically - easily missed because there isn't much that makes it obvious - and then of course the PM won't appear until I am logged in.

Principal advisor to the Minister for Tourism, Liza Harvey MLA
... OKA 260 ... "I'm not leaving any sooner than I have to!"
www.byles.net/OLDportal/members-vehicles-public/5-oka-260

More
29 Dec 2013 21:00 #4 by James and Usha
James and Usha replied the topic: Glitch in Private messages
I'll have a look into it once Christine leaves. I'm going to be pretty busy for the next couple of days with her. Could I get a few of you to send me messages and I'll check it out.

Thanks

- James

More
30 Dec 2013 14:57 - 30 Dec 2013 15:14 #5 by PeteFox
PeteFox replied the topic: Glitch in Private messages
Found the message.
It still does not appear in my inbox, but if I click the link in the email it takes me here

And if I click the little symbol the message appears below

I have also noticed that at least in my pages on 266, about a third of the photos aren't showing up, just. A total blank. Again no big deal and not complaining, just hoping we aren't at the start of another site meltdown.
I ran a website like this for a few years and these little things often grew into bigger issues.

Pete Fox OKA266 MultiCab
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

www.byles.net/www.oka4wd.com/forum/membe...oka-266?limitstart=0
Attachments:
Last Edit: 30 Dec 2013 15:14 by PeteFox.

More
10 Jan 2014 16:12 #6 by James and Usha
Hi Pete,

Re the messages - what we have are two modules which messages can be read through. The JomSocial one is what you have posted the screen shot of. The other is the native Kunena one which can be accessed through the 'Private Messages' link on the top right hand corner of the forums. What I've noticed is that the messages show up in the Inbox of the latter but not always the former. I'm not sure if this is a result of which of the two the sender users or not. I'm still investigating this anomaly.

Re your thread on 266 I just had a look and all of the images are loaded for me - there are no place markers only images. If it happens again would you please take a screen shot so I can see.

Thanks

James

The following user(s) said Thank You: PeteFox

More
17 Jan 2014 09:25 #7 by dandjcr
dandjcr replied the topic: Glitch in Private messages
Hi all, just got back from Vietnam and the Philippines, a brutal assault on our senses but surprisingly enjoyable.

Will get back on board in a day or so.

Regards, David

David and Janet Ribbans - Oka 148
Oka148 profile here.
Visit our technical and travel blogs: here.

More
19 Mar 2014 19:32 #8 by Ewart and Vivian Halford
Ewart and Vivian Halford replied the topic: Glitch in Private messages
Hi all, Private messages was a bit weird for me the last couple of week, not sure if it was my doing or not.
I sent a PM and every time I logged in the PM alert on the Right hand top said I had 1 message but I could not find one, thinking it was me I forwarded the original message to the original person I was sending it to again, still no change and no response from the person involved, I rang him and he had received it and was going to ring me, he never said if he received it twice or not and I did not ask.
I left it for a couple of weeks and it was still saying I had 1 message. I went in and deleted the 2 messages I sent and still no change so I left it for a few day and then went and had a good look at my messages, I found a message that had been sent to me some 9 months ago had the little circle next to there name green so I checked my response to that and the circle there was also green so I deleted both messages and the private message1 alert has gone so all is sorted but thought that it may be of interest to others and the administrators.

Cheers

Ewart oka 365

More
19 Mar 2014 20:47 #9 by dandjcr
dandjcr replied the topic: Glitch in Private messages
Ewart, the messaging system is displaying conflicting info but it does still seem to work OK, I've had several successful messaging sessions in the past couple of months.

eg. on the forums it says I have 5 new private messages, but that's not correct, so there is something funny going on. You might also receive an email each month telling you there are unread messages but that's probably not correct either.

Unfortunately we'll need James to look into that aspect, there seems to be some configuration issues.

David and Janet Ribbans - Oka 148
Oka148 profile here.
Visit our technical and travel blogs: here.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ewart and Vivian Halford

More
20 Mar 2014 09:02 #10 by James and Usha
I start days off tomorrow so will be able to get my teeth into it then.

The following user(s) said Thank You: dandjcr, Ewart and Vivian Halford

More
23 May 2020 20:09 - 23 May 2020 20:16 #11 by Rick Whitworth
Rick Whitworth replied the topic: Glitch in Private messages
I have sent PMs in the last month to a couple of different recipients that appear in my outbox but none of them have been received.
Last Edit: 23 May 2020 20:16 by Rick Whitworth.

More
25 May 2020 06:50 #12 by Alister McBride
Alister McBride replied the topic: Glitch in Private messages
Hi moderators, just a heads up. I have lost all my messages from my inbox and sent folders up to about two years ago... and when i go to try to msg it won't work, says there is a 'fatal error' (sounds bad! :dry: ).

More
25 May 2020 18:55 #13 by Alister McBride
ok, and now the 'Parts and Suppliers' section doesn't seem to be working...?

More
26 May 2020 06:44 - 26 May 2020 06:47 #14 by mort
mort replied the topic: Glitch in Private messages
Hi Rick and Alister,
From this end I cant find anything wrong with messaging which doesn't mean there isn't.
We did change the system around as there issues with the site and missing links etc and now the PM's are now in the drop down box where you logout as shown in the photo.
The parts and supplies I will get on to and sort that out.

The 7th heading down and 3rd above logout
Martyn
Attachments:
Last Edit: 26 May 2020 06:47 by mort.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rick Whitworth

More
26 May 2020 06:57 #15 by Rick Whitworth
Rick Whitworth replied the topic: Glitch in Private messages
Gday Mort
Just received PM successfully from Peter James
will see if he gets my reply and send you a test
cheers
Rick

More
26 May 2020 08:10 #16 by Alister McBride
lol thanks Mort, that works. You'd better remove the little envelope symbol just under the site heading as that's what i used to use and it must be for the 'old' msgs as described. Yeah, parts and suppliers database still not working...