Members

More
14 Jul 2021 11:44 #2 by OKAPETE
OKAPETE replied the topic: Members
Hmmm. I was not quite expecting so much backlash. I was not ordering anyone to do anything....just asking a question. My apologies if Ive stomped on anyones toes..
Pete.

Chaplain. Won x One Chaplaincy.
AM SAE-A. AAFRB.

Oka 383. In process.... Cummins 6bt. Allison 2500 6spd. LOMAX 3:1 205 T/case. Dana 80 F & R.
Oka 358. Van. Soon to be swift turbo intercooled. NP205 conversion. LSD F&R.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Jul 2021 16:08 - 14 Jul 2021 16:09 #3 by Holmz
Holmz replied the topic: Members

OKAPETE wrote: Hmmm. I was not quite expecting so much backlash. I was not ordering anyone to do anything....just asking a question. My apologies if Ive stomped on anyones toes..
Pete.

No offense intended Pete.

However this “pawn game” has been going on for months. The fellow can call and represent himself.

At least we have cleared the air here ;)

There is, and was, a social component to this forum. But FB is more generally social and thinner on technical.

I cannot post much more on the specific reasoning.
Last Edit: 14 Jul 2021 16:09 by Holmz.

More
14 Jul 2021 16:08 #4 by Holmz

OKAPETE wrote: Hmmm. I was not quite expecting so much backlash. I was not ordering anyone to do anything....just asking a question. My apologies if Ive stomped on anyones toes..
Pete.

No offense intended Pete.

However this “pawn game” has been going on for months. The fellow can call and represent himself.

At least we have cleared the air here ;)

There is, and was, a social component to this forum. But FB is more generally social and thinner on technical.

I cannot post much on the reasoning.

More
15 Jul 2021 13:06 #5 by Peter_n_Margaret
Peter_n_Margaret replied the topic: Members
By pure chance, I just spoke to this person on the phone on an unrelated matter.
He claims that he has no idea why he was banned and has tried unsuccessfully to contact someone to find out.
Cheers,
Peter

Cheers, Peter.
OKA196 tinyurl.com/OKA196xtMotorhome
Mob.0428171214
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rick Whitworth, Holmz

More
15 Jul 2021 19:38 - 15 Jul 2021 19:39 #6 by Holmz

Peter_n_Margaret wrote: By pure chance, I just spoke to this person on the phone on an unrelated matter.
He claims that he has no idea why he was banned and has tried unsuccessfully to contact someone to find out.
Cheers,
Peter

Have him put in a new users request wiuth a new user name and I can approve it.
Last Edit: 15 Jul 2021 19:39 by Holmz.

More
16 Jul 2021 06:24 - 16 Jul 2021 07:41 #7 by Peter_n_Margaret
What is wrong with his old user name?
ps... That is my question, not his....
Cheers,
Peter

Cheers, Peter.
Mob.0428171214
Last Edit: 16 Jul 2021 07:41 by Peter_n_Margaret.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OKAPETE, Rick Whitworth

More
16 Jul 2021 12:28 - 16 Jul 2021 12:30 #8 by Holmz

Peter_n_Margaret wrote: What is wrong with his old user name?
ps... That is my question, not his....
Cheers,
Peter

Well… I am confident I can safely add a new user… but not so much on more advanced efforts.

Historically…
The idea of an embassy and emissaries in the olden days as a way for governments and states to communicate predates radio and internet. The idea of travelling the Silk Road, or Myan and Aztec trails, or Burke-n-Wills or Lewis-n-Clarke trails in an OKA is also compelling.

For those that want to be in an emissary role, i am disinclined to roll back communication to wax seals and pony express. So…just have the fellow in question reach out directly. FCS- there are at least four of you now helping in the emissary role… so if you all provide the phone number to him then he should be able to do this himself.

Otherwise it is becoming like the Seventh Day Adventists (or insert another sect here) banging on my door tell me what God wants… As I tell them, “If the Bloke upstairs wants to talk, have him come to mine directly. If we were living before Martin Luther, then I would use the Pope as the conduit to him.”

Please advise if my position is unclear, or is too nuanced.
Last Edit: 16 Jul 2021 12:30 by Holmz.

More
16 Jul 2021 13:25 #9 by Peter_n_Margaret
Which phone number is that?
Cheers,
Peter

Cheers, Peter.
Mob.0428171214

More
16 Jul 2021 14:21 - 16 Jul 2021 14:23 #10 by Holmz
My mobile or Martyn’s.
Sent you mine in a PM, but i am 80% sure we have each other’s numbers… newish phone has surprized me though lately. :whistle:
Last Edit: 16 Jul 2021 14:23 by Holmz.

More
16 Jul 2021 15:58 - 16 Jul 2021 16:00 #11 by Peter_n_Margaret
I have no PM. The last PM I successfully received on this forum was 3 years ago.
Please SMS the number or post it here. My mobile is at the bottom of my posts, under the link that does not work any more.
Cheers,
Peter

Cheers, Peter.
Mob.0428171214
Last Edit: 16 Jul 2021 16:00 by Peter_n_Margaret.

More
16 Jul 2021 16:15 #12 by Holmz

Peter_n_Margaret wrote: I have no PM. The last PM I successfully received on this forum was 3 years ago.
Please SMS the number or post it here. My mobile is at the bottom of my posts, under the link that does not work any more.
Cheers,
Peter

Maybe I’ll work on the PMs whilst recovering.

And SMS sent.

More
16 Jul 2021 16:42 #13 by Peter_n_Margaret
SMS with mobile number received and forwarded. Thank you.
Cheers,
Peter

Cheers, Peter.
Mob.0428171214

More
17 Jul 2021 10:56 #14 by Holmz
I had a call from David.

I also had 1/2 dozen calls from Mort. 3 where he could hear me, 2 where neither could hear and a single shoddy one where he said he would be back in the big smoke in a couple of weeks.

More
24 Aug 2021 07:42 - 24 Aug 2021 07:49 #15 by Alister McBride
Alister McBride replied the topic: Members
How fricken childish do you admin want to be! We drive a fricken vehicle it's not some holy grail. This isn't the place for childish games, politics and bs! Grow up, pull your heads in and quite frankly if you want to play childish games with approving people based on the rulings of 'their sites' then go and make your own site and see how many go to it... don't play games with ours! This site isn't yours, it is the oka owners, you merely look after it for us... with many thanks! and offers of monetary remuneration which was denied! Give OKAbloke his permission back and stop your bs politicking! I value his input and if you think he's doing the wrong thing, you're doing exactly the same thiing in return... absolute bs... at what age did you realise that 2 wrongs don't make a right! grow up! This kind of bs is why i left a few years ago... i tentatively came back and am confronted with the same small minded bs as then.

I'm sure you will consider blocking me due to this rant and that's purely up to you and your ULTIMATE POWER (within this puny site) and is of course your prerogative...!
Last Edit: 24 Aug 2021 07:49 by Alister McBride.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Peter_n_Margaret, Rick Whitworth

More
24 Aug 2021 09:25 - 24 Aug 2021 09:26 #16 by Holmz

Alister McBride wrote: …

I'm sure you will consider blocking me due to this rant and that's purely up to you and your ULTIMATE POWER (within this puny site) and is of course your prerogative...!

I am not banning you… it didn’t even cross my mind.
It is both a technical forum and some social aspect.
So you are free to have a rant.

Alister McBride wrote: … This site isn't yours, it is the oka owners, you merely look after it for us... with many thanks! and offers of monetary remuneration which was denied!

The site name is registered by the late Hal Harvey’s partner Liz.
So yes, it is not my site either other than as an owner who does not want technical input to be lost.
The remuneration was brought up, but there was some apprehension that people would start demanding ownership.

I offered to set up a new user name for him, but I don’t believe that was deemed to be an acceptable solution by him.
Last Edit: 24 Aug 2021 09:26 by Holmz.

More
24 Aug 2021 10:00 #17 by Alister McBride
Thanks Holmz for the considered response. The previous rant aside - I don't imagine you are the sole admin, are you? How can the admin consider banning someone with more experience and knowledge about this topic than them and has contributed to the oka community over many years more than them an acceptable route to take?! And, when you consider the reasoning, which was (from my understanding) completely unrelated to ANY of the going's on in this forum, how does the admin have that self imposed right other than their own political motivations?

Are you saying that it is technically impossible to give OKAbloke back his original username? If not, give it back and lets all move on from this bs!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rick Whitworth

More
25 Aug 2021 09:19 #18 by Holmz

Alister McBride wrote: Thanks Holmz for the considered response. The previous rant aside - I don't imagine you are the sole admin, are you? How can the admin consider banning someone with more experience and knowledge about this topic than them and has contributed to the oka community over many years more than them an acceptable route to take?! And, when you consider the reasoning, which was (from my understanding) completely unrelated to ANY of the going's on in this forum, how does the admin have that self imposed right other than their own political motivations?

Are you saying that it is technically impossible to give OKAbloke back his original username? If not, give it back and lets all move on from this bs!

FCS you guys are like clockwork.
6 weeks ago I was recovering from a foot surgery and this topic was going off like troll festival.
Yesterday I was back in the hospital, and thought, I wonder what else is happening (these things come in 3s)… And behold… I found this.
I am not the sole admin, but “sole” fits with the foot work happening to me ;)

I am a scientific/math/physic programmer by profession, but not much of an internet developer kid. We have them at work, and we work together… they do their part, and I do mine.
And I have worked in a machine shop and I have a TIG welder and plenty of woodworking tools.
Many of the other OKA owners seem like they are more into the hand tools than the internet tools as well.

Mort is working FIFO, however I am confident that I have the skill to set up a new user… and not totally hose up the old account.
I talked to Mort a few weeks back and there was a FIFO thing where they were held up with some airplane and Covid drama.
It was about a 1/2 dozen phone calls of use yelling “Can you hear me now?”

So here we are… We have the Okabloke declining the offer of setting up a new account, and everyone is loosing their $hit.
Like somehow it is a kindergarten conspiracy to beat up on Okabloke., whereas I have my foot in the air, but at least iIt is still attached… and feel like I am getting beaten up by every bleeding heart around, and a medical team to boot.

I offered a solution, so either accept it, or await Mort’s return. Don’t paint it up with mascara and lipstick to something it is not.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 210greg

More
26 Aug 2021 06:45 #19 by Alister McBride
Thanks Holmz, i hope the foot gets better soon! I've always had incredible timing... ;)

I always like to get to the root of the problem... Why was he banned in the first place? I didn't notice any irregular posting etc... I would like to ensure banning people isn't something which will happen again to anyone especially not for bs politics! I've seen two people banned in my time here and don't believe either should have been. That is my main point, rather than the specifics of OKAbloke... But yes, if it is technically possible to give OKAbloke back his original account please do so.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rick Whitworth

More
26 Aug 2021 09:12 - 26 Aug 2021 09:14 #20 by Holmz

Alister McBride wrote: Thanks Holmz, i hope the foot gets better soon! I've always had incredible timing... ;)

I always like to get to the root of the problem... Why was he banned in the first place? I didn't notice any irregular posting etc... I would like to ensure banning people isn't something which will happen again to anyone especially not for bs politics! I've seen two people banned in my time here and don't believe either should have been. That is my main point, rather than the specifics of OKAbloke... But yes, if it is technically possible to give OKAbloke back his original account please do so.

Thanks for the foot wishes.

One of the two people that you’ve mentioned is already back. They were banned a year or three ago, and I am unclear as to why.
And the other one maybe does not want to await a new profile?

The “Root of the problem” is not a problem that you have personally, nor is a problem of your concern IMO.
You are making it YOUR problem… and making it a problem.
I have given a solution, which was not deemed to be acceptable so far.

Since we are playing…
Let’s pretend and play doctor.
You call up asking for information on whether person X has a STD.
I say, “Yeah 3 of them and all pretty serious.”
I get legal papers to the surgery.
Then I say, “wait… I had the wrong file, the person was for an tetanus booster shot because the scratched themselves on a rusty OKA… it was a similar spelling, but I made a mistake in the exact person”

Most medical clinics have about 20 questions to protect your privacy.
Even the confessionals at the Catholic Church are deemed to have an aura of privacy.
If you want so badly to know, then go and ask your friend.
I am not exactly sure why either were banned, but again… one is back… and in principle we should not talk about other people nor engage in gossip according to the teachings of HH the Dali Lama.

Is it technically possible?
Yeah - technically.
Practically… I dunno, I have financial year end forms to work on, so I am not inclined to spend a day or two in order to make sure I do not stuff up the old profile.

I’ll spell it out slowly:
1) Basically mind your business and stop $hit stirring.
2) Enjoy the forum as a technical resource and a place of fraternity
3) Stay safe and avoid the Covid and other depression inducing things which follow along with it.

Last Edit: 26 Aug 2021 09:14 by Holmz.

More
26 Aug 2021 11:01 #21 by Rick Whitworth
Rick Whitworth replied the topic: Members
Bullshit.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Holmz