OKA wanted

More
16 Jul 2015 20:22 - 16 Jul 2015 20:27 #21 by Hank Onthewater
Hank Onthewater replied the topic: OKA wanted
Thanks guys looking out for me, indeed OKA #200 from a distance could be OK, quite a bit of rust apparently, will follow the leads. Distance from here (SW of WA) to North of Brisbane does not help though, and I am working 4 or 5 days a week.... talking about work, I need to be on my way soon.
As ObJ said, I prefer an LT.
Last Edit: 16 Jul 2015 20:27 by Hank Onthewater. Reason: typo

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Jul 2015 15:45 #22 by Alister McBride
Alister McBride replied the topic: OKA wanted
Well Moose's 6.7L Cummins unfinished project didn't last long... That was a really nice job he (his dad) did too. He must have been shattered to see it go. I don't know the ins and outs of why he stopped (or left the forum, i was disappointed as i was watching keenly) but whoever bought it got a lot for really not much! Hopefully it shows up on the forum again.

Has anyone seen the XT in Nambour up close? Is the body ok? Hard to see in the pics.

Cheers, alister

More
22 Jul 2015 18:11 #23 by Outback Jack
Outback Jack replied the topic: OKA wanted
How do you know Moose OKA is sold???

Was sad to see him leave the forum and in turn leave the OKA world......

Nambour one I told is very rusty, but that's just word of mouth. It could be in a lot better nick.

Hopefully Moose OKA will reappear soon

More
24 Jul 2015 20:27 #24 by Alister McBride
Alister McBride replied the topic: OKA wanted
Just assuming based on the ad having a 'sold' on it...

Cheers, alister

More
28 Jul 2015 08:35 #25 by Hank Onthewater
Hank Onthewater replied the topic: OKA wanted
Hehehe, yes the word "sold" on an ad generally means just that.

And #200 was purchased by "Lang" by the looks of it.
Back to the drawing board.

More
28 Jul 2015 20:15 #26 by oztrax
oztrax replied the topic: OKA wanted
hey lang

can u give us the rundown on #200 ?

More
30 Jul 2015 16:04 - 30 Jul 2015 20:07 #27 by Lang
Lang replied the topic: OKA wanted
Oztrax

#200 has just been brought home today. Feels nice and tight. Hadn't been driven for a long time but after a couple of km exhaust ran clear on full load up hills, oil pressure very good. Good clutch and gear change with no discernable untoward noises. Body has some rust in door bottoms etc but nothing a weekend's work would not fix.

Jak, from whom I bought it, has owned it for 11 years and says he totalled 20,000km in that time. Clock shows 135,000 - sounds too little but if it only did 20,000km in the last 11 years might be right. Apparently owned by tour operator in Vic/NSW high country previously but other members can put me straight on that. Jack Green is very nice bloke and has kept detailed records of everything the truck has done, upgrades, servicing etc. It has the multi cab needing new roof lining but with 4 excellent OKA? bus seats. All the seats both in the cab and rear have as-new upholstery. Jack put lots of extras on - helper coils and bags on rear, full battery system with two house batteries and big solar panels on cab roof, water tank, Warn winch etc etc. 3 sets of wheels 8.25, 9.00, 11.00 all 16 inch. Lots of other stuff.

Covered in stickers and crook paint but no dings. Doors and windows all work. Looks ugly - superfluous statement about OKA's - but I have high hopes of a fairly straightforward "makeover".

On the back is a great Trayon style camper box (where the top swings right over to form a queen size bed and a roof to sit under outside) 3 burner stove, sink with water pump, gas supply, fridge, fixed table seating for two and an annexe, wind up legs. Certainly needs a good clean up but must have cost a mozza new. The box sits on a heavy mine-spec? Landcruiser style steel tray. The tray and box are available for sale as a unit as I will be extending the multi-cab back to simulate the bus lines and fitting a pop=top. The big new basket style roof rack is also available.

More as I get into it.

Lang
Last Edit: 30 Jul 2015 20:07 by Lang.

More
30 Jul 2015 17:39 #28 by Joseph Baz
Joseph Baz replied the topic: OKA wanted
Sounds like a good buy,Enjoy!!
Cheers,Joe

More
30 Jul 2015 19:37 #29 by Outback Jack
Outback Jack replied the topic: OKA wanted
Sounds like a great buy Lang.

The cab is ROPS rated, but Jack did tell a few prospective buyer the ROPS was rusted out. It didn't make sense to me, but just to be sure I would be checking the roof/rails etc of the cab just to make sure.

Enjoy you re new toy and don't be shy in asking any questions

More
31 Jul 2015 15:09 #30 by Lang
OJ

I have spent the whole day on #200 working on rust and think I have the picture.

The three doors have the bottoms (not side sheets) with holes. The corners of the cab roof, and bottoms of the door pillars have rust. The overhead structural system is perfect. Zero rust anywhere on the chassis. Rust patches anywhere there is a sikaflex or whatever they used on the roof sheet join and the join between cab and rear cab. At this stage no sheet metal work necessary other than to fold a bottom strip for under one door. The rest can be catered for with scraping, brushing and rust converting. Sand blasting not much good for box sections as the rust is from the inside so instead of weakening the structure with blasting I decided to make use of the rust. I did flood all the channels (door pillars, roof boxes, inside doors etc) with rust converter applied by spray through purpose drilled holes. Will follow this up with some sort of body protector (not fishoil which works great but always seems to leak out of seams for years after treatment.)

A ridiculous design feature is the roof gutter. It is not continuous between the front and rear cab and both sections pour out onto the join between front and rear cab. This ensures the join is continuously wet as even on dry nights there will often be enough dew to drip out of the gutters. I will put a wall at the end of each gutter in the middle of the truck and bent the edge into two little spouts about an inch back from the wall. Could fabricate a 6 inch section and make the gutter continuous but it would run across the cab join and might fail through flexing.

Not slashing my wrists yet and remain optimistic about finding few major wrongs as I work through it.

Lang

More
31 Jul 2015 16:06 #31 by Peter_n_Margaret
Peter_n_Margaret replied the topic: OKA wanted
Another classic rust spot is the tube that runs full width across the front of the body, from under the turn indicator repeaters.
It is 'sealed'. Was a bit messy to replace on #196.

Cheers, Peter.
OKA196 tinyurl.com/OKA196xtMotorhome
Mob.0428171214

• Peter and Sandra OKA 374
  • Away
More
31 Jul 2015 18:54 #32 by Peter and Sandra OKA 374
Peter and Sandra OKA 374 replied the topic: OKA wanted
As Peter said the tube that runs east west across the front of the cab underneath where the body mounts to the chassis is a prime spot for rust. I used a step drill to drill through the side panels below the side indicators into the hollow section where the tube ends up against the outside skin, pumped heaps of fishoil in and then fitted the appropriate sized grommet to seal the hole.
Oka in their wisdom used Duragal or similar for most of the body construction BUT nothing was rustproofed or cleaned internally in any box sections after construction which has led to rust where moisture could be trapped.
Another beauty is as Lang has discovered the bottom of the doors, two sheets of steel folded against each other and pop riveted together, no swarf was ever cleaned out of the doors after the holes were drilled, little or no sealer between the sheets and again no rust proofing of any kind applied!
Another spot is just behind the rear wheels on the lower edge of the bus body, a lapped join, "closed" box section and no rust preventative! I cut a Dometic type door into the side behind the RHS rear wheel to allow side access the the rear boot on 374 and discovered like other "sealed" box sections that the white powder created when welding duragal steel was still present along with rust in the bottom of the panel, it wouldn't have cost much or taken much time for the factory to use one of the myriad holes on the inside to squirt a mist of Tectyl or similar into every closed section after body construction was complete, would have stopped most Oka's from having lots of rusty body sections!

OKA 374 LT Van, converted to camper/motorhome,
400ah Lithiums, 1100w solar, diesel cooking heating and HWS,
Cummins 6BT, Allison 6 speed auto, Nissan transfer.

More
31 Jul 2015 18:59 #33 by Frank
Frank replied the topic: OKA wanted
I have noted in my body rebuild that the RHS used in construction is only galvanised on the outside of the tube. Not like the stuff you buy nowadays. Also lack of any paint applied to places where welds are ground flush.

Frank & Christine Thomas

More
31 Jul 2015 19:27 #34 by Joseph Baz
The biggest stuff up as far as dissimilar metals go was the contact between duragal/Galvanized and the zinc anneal,it should never be together or touching each other,even water run off from one on to the other will cause a reaction,for inaccessible areas in a building that requires rust control I have been using Penetrol from the Flood company for about 25 years now,it will creep into areas that are inaccessible and soak the rust scale stopping further development.
Cheers,Joe

More
31 Jul 2015 20:50 - 31 Jul 2015 20:55 #35 by Lang
Just been talking to the Sika experts.

When I build the rear section of the body it will be with light gal steel box section. I will hot gal the welds (easy done with an oxy torch and zinc stick). Could go to aluminium box but then would need an expert to come and weld it up. The entire sheeting will be attached with Sika 206 with zero bolts, screws or rivets. The Sika man says if correctly prepared with the SIKA primer he will give me a written gaurantee the structure will be stiffer and stronger than any other attachment method including full seam or spot welding. I figure if the skin of an F18 fighter is glued on it should be good enough for an OKA.

I think maybe this thread has been hijacked to OKA body repairs. There seems to be some very good long term information for many OKA owners. Maybe the conversation could be swung over to another section to allow OKA seekers to get a clear run?
Last Edit: 31 Jul 2015 20:55 by Lang.

More
01 Aug 2015 12:35 #36 by Frank
i am using sika 221 to glue my panels on.
the appropriate primers and activators aren't cheap.
206 is $77+ for 250ml
210 is $72+ for 250ml
sika activator is $25 for 250ml
and 205 is $i cant find the invoice.

Frank & Christine Thomas

More
01 Aug 2015 15:33 #37 by Lang
I spent a couple of hours on the phone with bus body builders and motorhome builders and have revised my fixing method. Nearly everyone recommended for flat panels going on a flat surface ie new aluminium or steel sheet being attached to flat box section or angle, I should use 3M Scotch 4941VHB double sided tape. Apparently very much quicker, cleaner, no mixing or bead laying. The tape is foam filled about .5 to 1mm thick and can cater for minor imperfections and a lot cheaper per metre than the liquid/gel/paste types.They said unlike the liquid systems you can not adjust the panel after contact so you have to get all your ducks in a row before making that first push but unlike the liquids it does not need pressure for up to 24 hours which is pretty hard to do on a 2 metre square panel with maybe 3 or 4 stringers and uprights behind it.

For panels going on rough or uneven surfaces or being attached to plastic or wood they said SIKA 206 or similar. JVCC also make a good one. These will gap fill much more than the tape. They did say they use both systems on most vehicles depending on the situation.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paul Scherek

More
02 Aug 2015 14:54 #38 by Joseph Baz
Another product that maybe worth considering is 3M Automix,it have glass bids which stop contact with dissimilar metal even if over clamping occurs,there is also some other products used in OEM that only require sanding as keying rather than priming and accelerating.
Cheers,joe
The following user(s) said Thank You: PeteFox, Lang

More
02 Aug 2015 16:08 #39 by Frank
Lang, I also researched the 3M VHB tape, good stuff. Its strength is increased considerably if you keep pressure on it for the first x? hours. The data sheets will show you.

Frank & Christine Thomas
The following user(s) said Thank You: Joseph Baz, Lang