heater shut off

More
06 Sep 2015 18:13 #1 by Peter334
Peter334 created the topic: heater shut off
Does anyone know what the heater shut off control came off our one is leaking

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Sep 2015 05:03 - 07 Sep 2015 05:04 #2 by Lang
Lang replied the topic: heater shut off
Peter

Now winter is over you could try a bottle of Wynns radiator stop leak until you find a new unit. I have had great success with that on heater taps twice. The Wynns is a pure liquid that also conditions the water pump. I would not use Bars Leaks or any of the potions containing solids unless you had a finger in the dyke situation with a stick through the radiator.

Lang
Last Edit: 07 Sep 2015 05:04 by Lang.

More
07 Sep 2015 06:04 #3 by Ralley
Ralley replied the topic: heater shut off
I took the tap to the local auto shop and they had one on the shelf. I just had to change the lever from the old one.
Rob

More
07 Sep 2015 06:08 #4 by Peter and Sandra OKA 374
Peter and Sandra OKA 374 replied the topic: heater shut off
It's a generic one available from most parts places like repco, auto one etc.
On an LT it is a right PITA to reach and usually involves removing either the fan shroud or the radiator, the rad is usually easier!
As the HVAC operation between the heater control knob on the dash and the actual tap is very involved (two cables and a lever arrangement) it quite often won't fully open and close resulting in the heater being partially on all the time which means the a/c doesn't work at all well.
The best solution is to move the heater tap up near where the heater hose leaves the engine and fit a generic choke cable to actuate it, my heater knob is in the ashtray recess and you just pull/push it up and down to control the heat. Paul Knott advised me of that idea and it works well as well as removing a couple of metres of heater hose plus the heater tap can be reached from the front seats and cable adjustment is easy on the fly. 374's has been in this position for a few years now.

OKA 374 LT Van, converted to camper/motorhome,
400ah Lithiums, 1100w solar, diesel cooking heating and HWS,
Cummins 6BT, Allison 6 speed auto, Nissan transfer.

More
07 Sep 2015 17:34 #5 by Peter334
Peter334 replied the topic: heater shut off
I changed the position of the hot water shut off from in the cowling a long time ago as it was a stupid place to put it in the first place mine is in the engine bay just above the injector pump, its not the radiator thats leaking that's new its just the shut off valve ,I already checked out or auto pros and they don't have them so it might be time to replace it with some other type,. cheers peter

More
07 Sep 2015 19:47 #6 by Peter and Sandra OKA 374
Peter and Sandra OKA 374 replied the topic: heater shut off
Peter when I moved mine to a similar position as yours (mine is actually forward of the engine just in front of the engine hatch) I just used a straight in and out generic one from auto one as they are freely available anywhere.

OKA 374 LT Van, converted to camper/motorhome,
400ah Lithiums, 1100w solar, diesel cooking heating and HWS,
Cummins 6BT, Allison 6 speed auto, Nissan transfer.

More
08 Sep 2015 19:39 #7 by Russ Phelan
Russ Phelan replied the topic: heater shut off
tap is XA to XC falcon. and as Ralley said you need to swap the levers over.

Instgram @okaruss #okatruck