Wanted - a perfect Perky!

More
13 Sep 2015 06:25 #2 by OKABloke
OKABloke replied the topic: Wanted - a perfect Perky!
Paul
I have one here. Excellent worker. No oil usage.

For Sale:
XT and LT Parts and Service Manuals Available on CD or Download. $150.00 Set

OKA 4x4 Facebook Page
www.facebook.com/groups/1597409843913222/

David

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Sep 2015 16:33 #3 by Outback Jack
Outback Jack replied the topic: Wanted - a perfect Perky!
There is a company down near Wagga Wagga.

Tractor something. He use to sell used and new Perkin engines.

So that might be a shot
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paul Scherek

More
14 Sep 2015 05:27 #4 by Peter Davis
Peter Davis replied the topic: Wanted - a perfect Perky!
Hi Paul
I have a Perky you maybe interested in. It is in Melbourne, Eastern Suburbs if that helps. Would need trailer to transport. I have hoist to lift on to trailer. Peter 0407549430

More
14 Sep 2015 16:35 #5 by Peter and Sandra OKA 374
Peter and Sandra OKA 374 replied the topic: Wanted - a perfect Perky!
The place near Wagga would be "The Rock Truck and Tractor Wreckers" at a place called "The Rock".
Last time I asked them about something they were pretty expensive.
The engine out of 374 will be available down the track, just as soon as I get time to put the Cummins in. Goes well, low k's doesn't burn any oil but does dribble it out a little bit, after all it is a Perkins!!!

OKA 374 LT Van, converted to camper/motorhome,
400ah Lithiums, 1100w solar, diesel cooking heating and HWS,
Cummins 6BT, Allison 6 speed auto, Nissan transfer.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paul Scherek

More
14 Sep 2015 22:01 #6 by Dean Robinson
Dean Robinson replied the topic: Wanted - a perfect Perky!
I have one out of No 84
It has done 84 000 Km, great runner, and has all the accessories
6K plus delivery

More
15 Sep 2015 16:39 #7 by Paul Scherek
Paul Scherek replied the topic: Wanted - a perfect Perky!
Thanks everyone for the replies. It looks like I have a few choices and at the moment I am favouring having new pistons fitted to my engine. The chaps you recommended OBJ and Peter at The Rock near Wagga Wagga seem very switched on. They followed up my engine number and determined that it has an earlier type of piston known for using oil.

Still considering the best option, I will let you know what I decide.

Cheers,

Paul

More
15 Sep 2015 17:00 #8 by 210greg
210greg replied the topic: Wanted - a perfect Perky!
Paul
What ever you decide just resist the pull of the DARK side. Anything that comes out of a ROCK must be good.
Greg

More
15 Sep 2015 21:26 - 15 Sep 2015 21:30 #9 by Tony Lee
Tony Lee replied the topic: Wanted - a perfect Perky!
Be interesting to know whether the "use oil" problem (which my 123 has to some extent) is just an annoyance or whether it results in reduced power or torque.
If it is just an annoyance, then the cost of remediation may pay for a hell of a lot of oil (and you lose the benefit of continuous oil changes ;-)))) ).

[Harry and Jenny were royally ripped off by one supposed expert when he first bought his OKA so might pay to double check any repairer with him before diving in]

Tony
Last Edit: 15 Sep 2015 21:30 by Tony Lee.

More
16 Sep 2015 05:33 #10 by Paul Scherek

210greg wrote: Paul
What ever you decide just resist the pull of the DARK side. Anything that comes out of a ROCK must be good.
Greg

But of course I wouldn't head for the dark side! Quite apart from anything else, I have enough trouble avoiding roll-over on corners as it is - any more power and poor old Max the Oka could fall over on high speed corners.

But the truth is I really like the tough little Perkins engine. We seldom drive on bitumen so the terrain is the usual limiter of speed, not the engine power. I love driving the Oka and I really don't want to make any change that could possibly change that. Sometimes it is the totality of the package that makes an item a pleasure, and changing any one thing can change that totality.

More
16 Sep 2015 05:42 #11 by Paul Scherek

Tony Lee wrote: Be interesting to know whether the "use oil" problem (which my 123 has to some extent) is just an annoyance or whether it results in reduced power or torque.
If it is just an annoyance, then the cost of remediation may pay for a hell of a lot of oil (and you lose the benefit of continuous oil changes ;-)))) ).

[Harry and Jenny were royally ripped off by one supposed expert when he first bought his OKA so might pay to double check any repairer with him before diving in]

Thanks for the warning Tony - that is always a worry, finding a mechanic who really is skilled. I have met very few I would trust.

The oil use is just an annoyance, otherwise the engine is great - very smooth, very economical, starts easily and has more power than I had expected. My concern is that the rate of oil usage is increasing - at first it was using a litre every 900 k's - now 60,000 k's later it is a litre every 700 k's. My real concern is that the oil usage could indicate an engine approaching a "failure to proceed" state.

More
16 Sep 2015 06:33 #12 by Peter and Sandra OKA 374
Peter and Sandra OKA 374 replied the topic: Wanted - a perfect Perky!
Paul I've heard others complain of increasing oil usage and it has been solved by changing the brand/type of oil used. Doesn't just apply to Perky's either.
Robin Wade always reckoned the Perky's were designed to use a monograde rather than what most of us use, a multigrade.
I've found that 374 uses more when running on Castrol RX Super but consumption pretty much stops when using Anglomoil Roadmaster 300 15W40 which I've been using for the last couple of years.
I found the same with the Humvee's 6.2l V8 diesel, drank RX but used far less on the Roadmaster.

OKA 374 LT Van, converted to camper/motorhome,
400ah Lithiums, 1100w solar, diesel cooking heating and HWS,
Cummins 6BT, Allison 6 speed auto, Nissan transfer.

More
16 Sep 2015 07:16 #13 by Ralley
Ralley replied the topic: Wanted - a perfect Perky!
I found with 169 that I could do 3000km without using any and from then on it would use oil. The Cummins 10000km it doesn't use any.

Rob

More
16 Sep 2015 07:42 #14 by Paul Scherek
Peter, I have tried lots of different oils, everything from the monograde brand that Robin suggested, other oils with Moreys, Penrite in various grades right down to the basic Delo 400 from Caltex. It seems to make exactly no difference what oil I use.

My real concern is that the engine might be reaching the end of its working life - I saw Robin Wade last year and he thinks my Oka has done a huge distance. There have been a few indications that he is correct - the case hardening was gone from top gear, the back axle has been replaced at some time, and there have been a few little failures lately. For all that, it is a gem to drive, thoroughly run in.

Rob, I just checked my log book and note than like yours, the oil usage does increase as the oil gets older. Interesting.

More
16 Sep 2015 10:08 #15 by DarrenWebster303
DarrenWebster303 replied the topic: Wanted - a perfect Perky!
Oh Gregy, we must send you & your fine partner in crime, one Rick Perkins off for an examination of the right foot by Dr Darkside I think........:))

More
17 Sep 2015 08:45 #16 by TH
TH replied the topic: Wanted - a perfect Perky!
Best book a spot for me too, Darren. :D

My Perkins doesn't use oil but it's not the original donk either. I like it and I'm happy with it. I can't get the same fuel economy from a Cummins, any Cummins.

To paraphrase a certain bank ad "A Cummins in an OKA is good, but that's not what they were built for"

I find that Cummins will start to use oil as the oil get older, especially on the gear running a rated rpm. the recent change from 250hr to 300hr oil change with their new oil see's the same result. Get to about 50hrs from a service and it starts to creep down the dipstick.

Cheers, Tony

More
17 Sep 2015 10:56 #17 by Tony Lee
" it starts to creep down the dipstick"

That is just good design - saves disposing of so much waste oil.

Tony
The following user(s) said Thank You: DarrenWebster303

More
17 Sep 2015 11:46 #18 by Dean and Kaye Howells
Dean and Kaye Howells replied the topic: Wanted - a perfect Perky!
We must be particularly lucky with #413 regards oil usage. This year 12,000 Km of mixed on road off road through some quite harsh country. Oil usage was 0.5 litres, yep half a litre and that was all on one days driving through some very soft sand, some of it with three Oka's tied together towing each other :)

Deano out front with Rob in the middle and Brett with the trailer. Chris out of picture at the rear picking up the pieces.

Similiar last year, even with the hard yakka of driving through the desert the only oil used over a 17,000 Km trip was again half a litre pushing through undulating hills over half a day near Gympie and another half a litre again pushing through undulating country near Pinjarra in WA.

We use Castrol RX Super and yes I did change the oil during both of these long treks :)

Deano :)

More
17 Sep 2015 12:27 #19 by Paul Scherek
Deano, your light oil usage may not be down to luck. In February 1993 Perkins issued this directive:-

SERVICE INFORMATION:
A new improved oil control piston and ring pack has been fitted to the Perkins 4-cylinder turbocharged engines from
January 1993. Engine cut-in numbers: AB 50424U 608291 W
AB 50440U 608301 W
One of the advantages of the new design is that it reduces oil consumption after the initial 'bedding-in' period. The
average oil to fuel used consumption is reduced from 0.5% to 0.2%. The following information should be covered
during new machine installation:
i Engine 'running-in' is not a requirement.
ii Periods of engine idling/tick over should be kept to a minimum to prevent cylinder bore glazing.

I think early XT's have the old style pistons. I find the service instructions interesting - no need to de-glaze the bore when fitting the new style pistons.

SERVICE PROCEDURE:
1 The new piston and ring pack can be used as service replacements - in sets of 4 pistons and ring kits.
2 When fitting the new piston and ring pack in service, there is no need to de-glaze the cylinder bore (glaze
busting).

Cheers, Paul
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dean and Kaye Howells

More
17 Sep 2015 17:33 #20 by Peter334
Peter334 replied the topic: Wanted - a perfect Perky!
I have a near new one in the shed only done about 30,000 ks and it ran like a charm no oil usage at all also you buy one get the other free with some bits that suit , also have a full reco injector pump to suit the perky for sale got some photos too. cheers peter

More
17 Sep 2015 20:46 #21 by Tony Lee
So Paul, you have answered my question - 0.5% oil use is normal and doesn't mean there is any incipient problems with the engine.

Tony