OKA Parts

More
19 Apr 2016 15:14 #1 by Chrisj
Chrisj created the topic: OKA Parts
I have tried to send email to oka parts but the emails are bouncing. are parts still available.

I'm looking for

OKA - 166

I’m after the alternator / air conditioner adjustor bracket (complete unit) as 166 share one common adjuster that supports both alternator and compressor making it impossible to maintain belt tension.

Section 13 Compressor and Mountings

Ref Part No Description Oty

2 002517 Bolt Shouldered 1
3 WSM08 Washer, spring 1
4 NSM08 Nut 1
5 BSFM10035 Setscrew 1
6 WSM10 Spring washer 2
7 NSM10 Nut 6
8 003350 Bracket, Compressor adjusting 1
9 003354 Rod bracket 1
10 NPNM10 Nyloc 1
11 003355 Pin anchor 1
13 001887 Bracket, Engine mounting, RH 1

OKA - 166

Regards, Chris.

Chaos, Panic, Disorder - My work is done here.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Apr 2016 15:58 #2 by Paul Scherek
Paul Scherek replied the topic: OKA Parts
Did you use this address? It worked for me a few days ago.

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

More
19 Apr 2016 18:10 - 20 Apr 2016 05:54 #3 by dandjcr
dandjcr replied the topic: OKA Parts

Chrisj wrote: I’m after the alternator / air conditioner adjustor bracket (complete unit) as 166 share one common adjuster that supports both alternator and compressor making it impossible to maintain belt tension.
Regards, Chris.

Chris, I'm a bit confused about this (not an uncommon state). My alternator is on a separate bracket (mounted on the side of the engine) to the a/c compressor (mounted on the engine mounting bracket), with separate belts and tensioners.

Do you have a photo of your set up? Has it been modified at some time? Did you have an engine mounted Magnum compressor?

For my air compressor mounting (on the opposite engine mount) I got some mounts to suit a compressor from a wreckers yard and fabricated a bracket to suit.

(Alternator belt removed in this photo).

Dean's Oka Parts email address was as Paul says last time I contacted him.

David

David and Janet Ribbans - Oka 148
Oka148 profile here.
Visit our technical and travel blogs: here.
Attachments:
Last Edit: 20 Apr 2016 05:54 by dandjcr.

More
19 Apr 2016 18:31 #4 by Outback Jack
Outback Jack replied the topic: OKA Parts
Belts seem to be a pain on the OKA with a Perkins...... I seem forever adjusting mine.

How I wish I had a Cummins with the one belt and and with a Belt Tensioner its easy to get it on/off

More
20 Apr 2016 07:41 #5 by Chrisj
Chrisj replied the topic: OKA Parts
Hi David,

Dean has sent quote on replacement parts.

Thanks for the photo your setup, OKA-166 looks nothing like yours it just has one slide type adjuster with bracket running off the Alt.

Problem is every time the AC is started the load from the compressor causes the alternator to loose belt tension causing the alternator to stop charging and eventually the belt snaps.

Regards, Chris.

Attachments:

More
20 Apr 2016 16:27 #6 by Peter and Sandra OKA 374
Peter and Sandra OKA 374 replied the topic: OKA Parts
Chris your belt setup is standard, David just has an extra belt for the second compressor on the passengers side.
Someone has also trying to use the alternator tensioner bracket to tension the a/c belt.
You can see the correct setup on Dave's, it is just a long bolt or threaded rod between the bottom compressor ears and a piece of tube with a threaded rod welded to it to do the tensioning.
The alternator should be tensioned on its own, nothing to do with the a/c compressor as they each have their own belt, the bracket being used to try and tension the a/c compressor is actually the alternator tensioner.
Page 4-2 in the parts manual shows the correct alternator setup and page 13-1 shows the a/c compressor setup

OKA 374 LT Van, converted to camper/motorhome,
400ah Lithiums, 1100w solar, diesel cooking heating and HWS,
Cummins 6BT, Allison 6 speed auto, Nissan transfer.

More
20 Apr 2016 18:42 #7 by Chrisj

Peter and Sandra OKA 374 wrote: Chris your belt setup is standard, David just has an extra belt for the second compressor on the passengers side.
Someone has also trying to use the alternator tensioner bracket to tension the a/c belt.
You can see the correct setup on Dave's, it is just a long bolt or threaded rod between the bottom compressor ears and a piece of tube with a threaded rod welded to it to do the tensioning.
The alternator should be tensioned on its own, nothing to do with the a/c compressor as they each have their own belt, the bracket being used to try and tension the a/c compressor is actually the alternator tensioner.
Page 4-2 in the parts manual shows the correct alternator setup and page 13-1 shows the a/c compressor setup

Correct Peter,

Long bolt or threaded rod is missing Page 13- 1parts 6 thru to 11 are missing. attached photo will explain.

Regards, Chris.

Attachments:

More
20 Apr 2016 21:55 - 20 Apr 2016 21:57 #8 by dandjcr
dandjcr replied the topic: OKA Parts
Chris, when you get your a/c compressor and alternator mounting sorted out, you might want to improve the alternator tensioning mechanism.

I found the sliding adjustment was difficult to tighten effectively and would continually slip loose, so I constructed a better arrangement:

A tapped rod with adjusting/locking nuts and it's never slipped loose again in 9 years.

Oka148 profile here.
Attachments:
Last Edit: 20 Apr 2016 21:57 by dandjcr.
The following user(s) said Thank You: TH

More
21 Apr 2016 05:24 #9 by Chrisj
Thanks David,

I will sort out this mess when replacement parts arrive from Oka. Your photos explain the solution.

Regards, Chris.

More
04 May 2018 07:15 - 04 May 2018 07:20 #10 by dandjcr
dandjcr replied the topic: OKA Parts - Compressor belt tensioning
When searching through my computer looking for some else entirely, I came across an email from Tim Forsyth in 2008 about repair/replacing a broken aircon compressor tensioner.

I couldn't find any reference to it on the Oka4wd site so here it is:

File Attachment:

File Name: Airconcomp...cket.pdf
File Size:71 KB

At first glance it looks very similar to the original Oka tensioner (item8) but Tim's solution is a sliding tensioner to avoid the stresses that can cause welds/tapped rods to break, and a replaceable tapped rod if they do.

I don't think mine is cracked but it's worth checking.

Oka148 profile here.
Attachments:
Last Edit: 04 May 2018 07:20 by dandjcr.