Oka front seats

More
05 Feb 2013 18:37 #2 by MichaelLHession
MichaelLHession replied the topic: Oka front seats
Hi Paul,
Try your local auto-trimmer. I just had my passenger seat repaired, the back had broken away from the base. He mentioned it was poorly welded from new. Cost was $100.00. He rewelded and strengthened it at the same time.
Michael Hession

Michael Hession
OKA 160

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Feb 2013 08:58 #3 by Greg 210 and Dean 366
Greg 210 and Dean 366 replied the topic: Oka front seats
Paul when I purchased 210 it was fitted with seats out of 2004 Holden Radoe I am very happy with them.

More
06 Feb 2013 09:54 - 06 Feb 2013 11:14 #4 by Rick Whitworth
Rick Whitworth replied the topic: Oka front seats
... "I like the Oka seats, and would prefer not to go after-market."

Paul,
I agree.
We just got back from trip with 3 adults (2 drivers, 1 passenger + vicious dog..

from Geelong to Lismore for my daughter's birthday.

Got there in just over 2 days travelling inland. After a week travelling around Lismore/Balina/Byron spent 3 weeks wandering home down the coast bush camping.

I find OKA seats really comfortable. Sue and Steve both said OKA seats (front and bus seat in the back) were as good as anything they have travelled on ... despite long streches without stops on the way up

So plan is to try to keep originals (like every thing else on #149 where practical)

Fortunately seat frame and mechanicals are in good nick.
Covers aren't too bad but I plan to recover them with some used but not too worn covers that I bought from Ian Jones

OKA setas are also easily removed for access to engine
I would also be trying to get an original used seat as replacement or repairing the frame

Some pics of #149 on trip back home....

Keep out or I'll take ya leg off!!

Rick
Last Edit: 06 Feb 2013 11:14 by Rick Whitworth.

More
06 Feb 2013 16:13 #5 by Paul Scherek
Paul Scherek replied the topic: Oka front seats
Thanks for the suggestions and comments. Both Michaela and myself have damaged our backs, and there are very few seats that we can spend much time in without feeling half dead. Land Rover Defender seats surprisingly are brilliant, and the Oka seats are brilliant, but nothing much else that we have tried over the decades has suited our particular back problems.

It is difficult to evaluate seats, because we really need to spend a day or more in them to see how we fare, hence the reluctance to go to a lot of trouble fitting alternative seats.

Michael, I will talk to our local trimmer, but I have serious doubts..... I might make the trip up your way and visit your bloke if I can't find some good seats for sale. My passenger side frame has been broken at some time and welded up, but welded up with the seat back twisted. Very hard on the passengers back, and it won't be an easy fix!

So for now I will just hope that someone has swapped out their seats to Recaros or similar, and would like a bit of cash for the old seats.

Rick, your Oka looks brilliant. Great finish.

Cheers,

Paul

More
06 Feb 2013 16:26 #6 by Greg 210 and Dean 366
Greg 210 and Dean 366 replied the topic: Oka front seats
Paul if u r at Mystry Bay in Feb have a look at 210

More
06 Feb 2013 16:30 #7 by Paul Scherek
Yep, we will be there, very much looking forward to the meet, and all the "I'll show you mine if you show me yours".

More
06 Feb 2013 19:29 #8 by mort
mort replied the topic: Oka front seats
Paul I have 2 front seats you can have the problem is I am in Perth and I was going to put them out for council bulk rubbish collection this week so you will need to let me know very soon or anyone else who wants them.
Martyn

More
06 Feb 2013 21:15 #9 by Frank
Frank replied the topic: Oka front seats
Martyn,
If no one puts their hand up for these I will store them somewhere in my attic just to avoid them going to the tip.
Perhaps Oka Parts will take them.
cheers
Frank

Frank & Christine Thomas

More
07 Feb 2013 02:43 #10 by Tony Lee
Tony Lee replied the topic: Oka front seats
Strange, mine was too. Was bent just above the hinge on the outside of the passengers seat. Wasn't obvious until I pulled the seat out to lubricate things to make it a bit easier for Betty to adjust. Had to remove the cushion and cloth and repair it

Tony

More
07 Feb 2013 04:55 #11 by Paul Scherek

mort wrote: Paul I have 2 front seats you can have the problem is I am in Perth and I was going to put them out for council bulk rubbish collection this week so you will need to let me know very soon or anyone else who wants them.
Martyn

Hi Martyn,

Thank you very much for the offer. I will talk to our local freight companies and see if it is feasible to get them over here. I suspect they will throw up their hands in despair when I say I want them here undamaged!

I will get back to you later today.

Cheers,

Paul

More
07 Feb 2013 04:58 #12 by Paul Scherek

Tony Lee wrote: Strange, mine was too. Was bent just above the hinge on the outside of the passengers seat. Wasn't obvious until I pulled the seat out to lubricate things to make it a bit easier for Betty to adjust. Had to remove the cushion and cloth and repair it

Mine is not actually bent - there is a piece missing, and new holes have been made in the frame in a different position resulting in the back being on an angle. Very strange......

Off topic, but your pictures of the current trip look great. Hope you enjoyed your free game of Bingo.........

Cheers,

Paul

More
07 Feb 2013 07:12 #13 by Paul Scherek

mort wrote: Paul I have 2 front seats you can have the problem is I am in Perth and I was going to put them out for council bulk rubbish collection this week so you will need to let me know very soon or anyone else who wants them.
Martyn

Hi Martyn,

Our local freight bloke can get the seats to me, but he says that the seats must be opened out flat and wrapped in bubble wrap, with cardboard under the bubble wrap to protect the cloth from 'intrusions'.
I know this would be a hassle for you, but if you could handle that I would of course pay for all materials etc.
Thanks again for the offer,
Cheers,
Paul

More
07 Feb 2013 16:56 #14 by Noel
Noel replied the topic: Oka front seats
Hi Paul,

I have 1 only passenger side front seat. It does not have the quick release base but if you are desperate I can make one for you ( I had to make one for the driver's side as it was missing when I bought 356) It is plain blue as it was a mine vehicle but is in pretty good condition otherwise. I also have various parts if you are interested I will send you a list if you like

Noel

More
07 Feb 2013 20:37 #15 by mort
Paul I can pack them up for you and deliver to freight depot but I dont think one of them lays flat will confirm and the quick release I used on the new seats but yours should be ok to bolt on and the vehicle is ex mine so new covers are needed but again if yours are in good or ok condition then swap them over if only frame is what you need then you will at least get that and tomorrow I may check a freight company here and let you know
Martyn

More
07 Feb 2013 21:25 #16 by mort
Hi Frank I will keep you in mind if Paul finds an alternative
Martyn

More
09 Feb 2013 05:37 #17 by Paul Scherek

mort wrote: Paul I can pack them up for you and deliver to freight depot but I dont think one of them lays flat will confirm and the quick release I used on the new seats but yours should be ok to bolt on and the vehicle is ex mine so new covers are needed but again if yours are in good or ok condition then swap them over if only frame is what you need then you will at least get that and tomorrow I may check a freight company here and let you know
Martyn

Hi Martyn,

Thank you very much for the offer, but I will decline - the quote came through yesterday, and the cost of freight from West to East is a shocker! Very grateful though for the offer.

All the best,

Paul

More
09 Feb 2013 05:40 #18 by Paul Scherek

Noel wrote: Hi Paul,

I have 1 only passenger side front seat. It does not have the quick release base but if you are desperate I can make one for you ( I had to make one for the driver's side as it was missing when I bought 356) It is plain blue as it was a mine vehicle but is in pretty good condition otherwise. I also have various parts if you are interested I will send you a list if you like

Noel

Hi Noel,

Yes please, I would be very interested in that seat and probably quite a few of the other parts, depending where you are. It seems getting bulky and heavy items from WA is not so easy, and it is only the passenger side seat that I need. Where are you located?
Cheers,
Paul

More
10 Feb 2013 13:56 #19 by Noel
Noel replied the topic: Oka front seats
Hi Paul,

We are just South of Brisbane, where are you located? We have a business and send bulky gear all over the country so we should have the contacts to get any gear to you. I will be out of the country until the 20th of Feb so will try and get some photos to you of the seat and any other parts that I have when I get back

Regards

Noel

More
10 Feb 2013 14:05 #20 by Len208
Len208 replied the topic: Oka front seats
On the subject of freight>I have found Northline transport reasonable.5 Rims from melbourne to perth $123.5x19.5 Rims and Tyres perth to Brisbane 480kg.$277.

More
10 Feb 2013 15:05 #21 by Paul Scherek

Noel wrote: Hi Paul,

We are just South of Brisbane, where are you located? We have a business and send bulky gear all over the country so we should have the contacts to get any gear to you. I will be out of the country until the 20th of Feb so will try and get some photos to you of the seat and any other parts that I have when I get back

Regards

Noel

Great Noel,

I am on the South coast of NSW and our local bloke does QLD without using on-forwarders, so the price is reasonable. Have a good trip,

Cheers,
Paul