Wanted info on Cummins 6BT

More
21 May 2013 05:49 #21 by deedy
deedy replied the topic: Wanted info on Cummins 6BT
Hi all
The main reasons I chose the cummins 6bt over the electronic version ISB or the duramax is electronics. The cummins 6bt has one shutoff solenoid which is easily bypassed or taken off for manual shut off. The electronic engines have far to many electronic thingos that can cause problems and can be a headache to find and fix. The other reason is that this engine will run on vegetable oil. None of the electronic engines will run on vegetable oil. This engine will run on diesel, fuel oil, kerosene, Jet A, Jet A1, JP-5, and JP-8 all from manufacturers recommendations. I chose the inline pump which is easy to increase hp. With a $100 adapter plate to deliver more fuel, I have increased the HP from 160 to 260. I could easily increase hp by adding higher hp injectors. The engine fits in nicely is easy to work on and has an excellent reputation for reliability.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Joseph Baz, DarrenWebster303

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Peter and Sandra OKA 374
  • Away
More
21 May 2013 06:30 #22 by Peter and Sandra OKA 374
Peter and Sandra OKA 374 replied the topic: Wanted info on Cummins 6BT
We've had problems getting net access on the road on this trip in the US, hence the delay in reply.
Haven't found any 6BT's yet, came across a really nice Corvette the other day, was immaculate and only $6k but Sandra canned that!!

OKA 374 LT Van, converted to camper/motorhome,
400ah Lithiums, 1100w solar, diesel cooking heating and HWS,
Cummins 6BT, Allison 6 speed auto, Nissan transfer.

More
21 May 2013 16:24 #23 by Cando
Cando replied the topic: Wanted info on Cummins 6BT
deedy,
id be really interested in talking with u re your conversion. ie: what / where adapter plates are used, did u use auto or same manual box did u do it or pay some one? etc etc.
do u have any pics?

Cando
XLT-112

More
21 May 2013 17:04 #24 by deedy
Adapter plate was used bought from Paul Knott used original gearbox and transfer case. More info under members okas i'll put some more photos up when time permits. Almost finished just need to find some time.

More
27 May 2013 08:38 - 27 May 2013 08:40 #25 by Alister McBride
Alister McBride replied the topic: Wanted info on Cummins 6BT
Gday Deedy, WOW 260hp! You're putting that through the original tranny!? The Turner box (Spicer rebadge) was only ever fitted to trucks up to 180hp as far as i know (someone correct me if i'm wrong), do you expect it to hold up?
I'm interested at some stage to do the upgrade but thinking an auto would be good (my left leg's pretty tired after two big days of driving lately!), does anyone know if an Allison would be a good option? Also, is the 6.7 the same physical size as the 5.9?
Deedy, Paul has an LT which has chassis mounts on the bellhousing, did you have any difficulties fitting the engine to the XT? Did you just leave the TC and Tranny solidly mounted and fit the engine straight onto the front? Any space issues with the radiator being that far back in the XT? Did you make up your own fan shroud or go with a thermofan? If you kept the normal fan, did you change its position on the front of the engine like they did in the LT's?
Cheers,
Alister
Last Edit: 27 May 2013 08:40 by Alister McBride.

More
27 May 2013 18:23 #26 by Moose2367
Moose2367 replied the topic: Wanted info on Cummins 6BT
I can't remember the specs on the Spicer gearbox, but i know it was no where near the HP and torque ratings of the 6.7L going in mine.

Yes the 6.7L is the same physical size as the 5.9L as far as i know.

Although i haven't seen mine for ages, the engine, Allison and Nissan transfer case are all going to be in a cradle and then being mounted to the original engine mounta on the chassis, it will have a custom radiator and thermo fans. Even with the twin piston air compressor it will fit with little and most likely no modifications to the cabin.

I have asked for photos but it's not high on the importance list, dad has got to do it all himself now, as well as run his business, as he doesn't have anyone working for him as of last month, unfortunately.

It's taking a long time for mine but the labour is free, so i can't complain.

More
28 May 2013 18:23 - 28 May 2013 18:25 #27 by DarrenWebster303
DarrenWebster303 replied the topic: Wanted info on Cummins 6BT
I know we seem to have hi-jacked Cando's original request here, but has anyone thought about an NPR Isuzu motor & gearbox/transfer as a similar size power upgrade? just a thought for a cheap common replacement.
Last Edit: 28 May 2013 18:25 by DarrenWebster303.

More
28 May 2013 20:18 #28 by TH
TH replied the topic: Wanted info on Cummins 6BT

Cheers, Tony

More
29 May 2013 11:06 - 29 May 2013 11:07 #29 by Russ Phelan
Russ Phelan replied the topic: Wanted info on Cummins 6BT
Darren you are on the money. The Isuzu engine/gearbox is the way i'm am going although at this stage not with isuzu tranfer but a divorced nissan patrol transfer set up.
Engine is 4HE1T 4.8L OHC 8valve 130kw (176hp)580Nm
I chose this engine as it is the last of the N series with mech fuel pump, has the intake and exhaust the same sides as perkins as well as alt. and aircond. the same side. I reckon I can get around the problem of it being 24v charge and start without to much drama.
I purchased the engine and gear box for $5500 and heard it run beforehand.
Engine + gearbox length is approx 100mm shorter than perkins/spicer.
gearbox is 6 speed manual with 6th being overdrive with cable shift.

Instgram @okaruss #okatruck
Attachments:
Last Edit: 29 May 2013 11:07 by Russ Phelan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DarrenWebster303

More
29 May 2013 11:19 #30 by Outback Jack
Outback Jack replied the topic: Wanted info on Cummins 6BT
I like this idea, Isuzu make good engines. I even had a gemini with one in it.

Also I think the Duramax was made or is a Isuzu.

24v shouldnt be a problem. Different Starter, glow plugs etc.

Will be watching this one.

More
29 May 2013 13:04 #31 by PeteFox
PeteFox replied the topic: Wanted info on Cummins 6BT

Russ Phelan wrote: at this stage not with isuzu tranfer but a divorced nissan patrol transfer set up.
Engine is 4HE1T 4.8L OHC 8valve 130kw (176hp)580Nm

Russ
this engine sounds like a really good way to go. Nice smooth power and no oil leaks.

I looked into using a Patrol transfer as a divorced unit when I was having all that trouble with the direct coupled Nissan T/C last year. The overall length of the T/C was a major problem. I did a heap of measurements and without a wheelbase stretch it couldn't be done, but you have another 100mm to play with.
In my truck, the divorced NP205 setup including the length of the jackshaft is the same as a married Patrol setup, so a divorced Patrol just couldn't be done with the standard Spicer box because of the added length of the jackshaft.

The 100mm shorter length as well as the opportunity to move the engine forward (if needed) because you will have to make custom mounts anyway should allow you to do this.

I am keen to see how you plan to mount the Patrol T/C and retain and seal the floating input shaft to the Patrol box.

Electrics shouldn't be a problem. Nissan UD trucks had a 12/24v auto changeover switch on them. Starter was 24v, Alternator 12v and when starting the switch hooked the batteries up as a series connection (24v) and they then went back to parallel.

Pete Fox OKA266 MultiCab
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

www.byles.net/www.oka4wd.com/forum/membe...oka-266?limitstart=0

More
29 May 2013 17:51 #32 by deedy
Perkins out job well done.
more testing-runs great on vegi oil although engine not getting hot enough. Fuel heater ordered. Heaps of acceleration, easy to start, runs smooth and quieter than Perkins. Also running on gas although will only use as needed going up large hills
Attachments:

More
29 May 2013 18:14 #33 by Joseph Baz
Joseph Baz replied the topic: Wanted info on Cummins 6BT
Good engine choice Russ,it's a honest good working engine and box set up,Keep us inform of the progress!!
Cheers,Joe

More
29 May 2013 18:20 #34 by DarrenWebster303
OBJ, you are correct, Isuzu & GM developed the Duramax, although no one would be silly enough to put one in an Oka would they?

More
29 May 2013 19:02 #35 by Outback Jack
The following user(s) said Thank You: TH

More
30 May 2013 16:22 #36 by DarrenWebster303
OBJ, how do you find this stuff? [Im not a computer person apart from here]

More
30 May 2013 17:15 #37 by Outback Jack
Spending 25 years in Telecommunications and IT helps.

But its not that hard, Google is your friend when it comes to the internet......

More
30 May 2013 17:23 #38 by DarrenWebster303
Oh god mate,30 years with a tape; vernea & eyes!

More
30 May 2013 21:25 #39 by Outback Jack
I would love to have more hand skills, a lot of the people on here are great in what they create...

Here is another one for you

mate the 3.9L Isusu Diesel engine to a Chevy 200R4, 700R4, 4L60, 4L60E, 4L80E, 4l85E and Allison 1000 (both 5 and 6spd) or Ford AOD, 4R70W, M5R2, ZF5

More
31 May 2013 06:23 #40 by Peter Davis
Peter Davis replied the topic: Wanted info on Cummins 6BT
It is fantastic to see all these new options for our Okas. One question, has anyone got an engineering certificate for their new engine? And if so did they need to make changes to the front axle and/or brakes to accommodate the extra weight and power?
Peter