web site upgrade

More
18 Sep 2019 17:44 #1 by mort
mort created the topic: web site upgrade
Hi All,
I have been working at getting all issues that I am aware of fixed.
It appears that there are a number of conflicts between the 4 programs that make up the forum as you see it and a large number of dead links.
To help with this work I have engaged the services of a web designer/builder.
You will notice that with the work today some of you will have to reinstall your avetars.
We spent 5 hours today going through 1 by 1 as many links to identify what they do and how it affects other links.
We fix 1 and all ok or with another it will affect adversely another very time consuming.

I ask that all members as you navigate through the site if you find an issue please let me know and I dont mean things that you would like to be able to do but things that is a fault on/with the site. wish list can come later.
Some will say the site is good as it is well yes it is faster but for example there was an issue with new member sign up/login or profile editing but not with all members.
At some point in the past all photo's and vidio's went missing from the site, we are working at finding them and reinstating.

It can only get better and will take time and help from you the members.

Martyn
The following user(s) said Thank You: OKAPETE, Greg Boyle, Peter and Sandra OKA 374, Paul Scherek, Rick Whitworth, Chris126, 210greg, Holmz, tcgreen

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Sep 2019 04:15 #2 by 210greg
210greg replied the topic: web site upgrade
Mort
This cant be cheap as well as your time mate you don't have to wear the cost please let the members know so we can assist with some compensation.
Greg
The following user(s) said Thank You: mort, Paul Scherek, Rick Whitworth, Chris126

More
19 Sep 2019 19:13 #3 by mort
mort replied the topic: web site upgrade
Hi Greg and all others,
Yes it is costing but not as much as would be normally as I do know the owner of the company and he is looking after us/me
James did tell me that they looked into subscription/donations in the past but there was some legal or tax implications so I have asked from another for an opinion on this matter.
Maybe the easyest way would be for some sort of payment to be made direct to the company so it doesn't go through the forum.
Just for info once the forum is running at its best the cost and admin effort is low like $150 to host and about $50 to register per year. The cost to fix issues at the moment is about $400 and could go to about $1500 we dont know.

Thank you to all concerned it makes the effort worthwhile to see that it is recognised and appreciated.
Martyn
The following user(s) said Thank You: 210greg, Holmz

More
19 Sep 2019 20:44 #4 by Holmz
Holmz replied the topic: web site upgrade

mort wrote: Hi Greg and all others,
Yes it is costing but not as much as would be normally as I do know the owner of the company and he is looking after us/me
James did tell me that they looked into subscription/donations in the past but there was some legal or tax implications so I have asked from another for an opinion on this matter.
Maybe the easyest way would be for some sort of payment to be made direct to the company so it doesn't go through the forum.
Just for info once the forum is running at its best the cost and admin effort is low like $150 to host and about $50 to register per year. The cost to fix issues at the moment is about $400 and could go to about $1500 we dont know.

Thank you to all concerned it makes the effort worthwhile to see that it is recognised and appreciated.
Martyn

Well the value of the forum seems worth a lot to me... so thanks to many that have provided sage advise.
It is what makes a community!

More
19 Sep 2019 21:50 - 20 Sep 2019 00:27 #5 by Rick Whitworth
Rick Whitworth replied the topic: web site upgrade

mort wrote: Maybe the easyest way would be for some sort of payment to be made direct to the company so it doesn't go through the forum.

Makes sense. I'm no accountant but if 'the company' could use its TFN to create an OKA account with admins sharing access, site users could make nominal contribution say $100 via BSB transfer. 'The company' could withdraw on the account when needed based on fee for service as agreed to by admins. Annual user contribution of $100 is most reasonable minimum. If more is needed then admins could call for more when needed. If standard contribution provides more than what is needed then well and good, there is something there for extras or to cover the next crisis or system upgrade.
If admins become unhappy with 'the company's' performance they ask site users to stop making contributions and look elsewhere.
It would be an honour system, some will contribute, some won't. Forget trying to chase non payers, it would not work. Suprising how often this works though.
I am thick skinned, happy to be pissballed if you don't agree but I rekon its worth a try...

No question that the sages make this site, but they need a vehicle (oka4wd.com) to ride in and I'm happy to share in keeping it on the road

Rick Whitworth: OKA XT 149.
Last Edit: 20 Sep 2019 00:27 by Rick Whitworth. Reason: sages
The following user(s) said Thank You: mort, 210greg

More
20 Sep 2019 04:52 #6 by 210greg
Rick that sounds like a plan but if we were to go that way and make it voluntary why could we not just give Mort a donatation for him to spend as he wishes
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rick Whitworth

More
20 Sep 2019 05:46 - 20 Sep 2019 05:47 #7 by Rick Whitworth
Rick Whitworth replied the topic: web site upgrade
yep, absolutely agree Greg but Mort seemed to be concerned about legal/tax issues

Rick Whitworth: OKA XT 149.
Last Edit: 20 Sep 2019 05:47 by Rick Whitworth.

More
20 Sep 2019 13:41 #8 by 210greg
all we are doing is giving him a gift then its nobody's bees wax

More
10 Nov 2019 15:08 #9 by Frank and Peta
Frank and Peta replied the topic: web site upgrade
Hi Martyn,
I take it that you are a site administrator as your name is highlighted in red, so maybe you can help. This is my first post and i am having trouble sending PM to anyone, from what i have read i should be able to click on to the selected persons profile and send a PM, but all i get is a message like "unknown action" or something to that effect. My concern is that my profile name is in capital letters, some people take this as shouting, not the message i would like to convey, i leave that to my better half. So if at all possible can you please change it to Frank and Peta.
The other problem is that i did not note your email address following our conversation a few weeks ago regarding purchasing a camper in South Australia, much appreciated. So if its alright with you, can you send it to me via email.
Regards,
Frank and Peta

More
11 Nov 2019 18:41 #10 by mort
Hi Frank,
I should be able to change it for you easily but for the future you can go to your profile and change things yourself when and if you want but that takes time to navigate around the site.
The PM's is another issue I will look into it and at this stage dont know if it is only you or others.
Martyn

More
11 Nov 2019 18:44 #11 by mort
Hi All,
Is anyone else having issues with Private messages.
If you haven't sent or received lately could some of you sent some and see if they go through.
Martyn

• Peter and Sandra OKA 374
  • Away
More
12 Nov 2019 03:28 #12 by Peter and Sandra OKA 374
Peter and Sandra OKA 374 replied the topic: web site upgrade
Mort I tried to send you one and got a "Undefined error"

OKA 374 LT Van, converted to camper/motorhome,
400ah Lithiums, 680w solar, diesel cooking heating and HWS,
Cummins 6BT, Allison 6 speed auto, Nissan transfer.

More
12 Nov 2019 15:12 #13 by Ewart and Vivian Halford
Ewart and Vivian Halford replied the topic: web site upgrade
I tried last night with no luck but just sent one now and no problem.

Ewart oka 365

More
13 Nov 2019 20:00 #14 by mort
Hi All,
We had deactivated the social side as it was causing most of the conflict between the programs that make up this site and wasn't used at all or much and didnt say anything just to see if it was noticed and what other issues it may cause or fix.
On the plus side it fixed a lot of the conflict but we didnt realise that it handled the PM, we have the messaging operating on the forum side now so all should be ok.
The other thing that was on the social side was photo's so we have copied over 2300 photo's and some video's which I will go through and install all the relevant photo's into a folder for all to see.
Dont forget if any more issues dont hesitate to let me know as I cant fix if I dont know.
Martyn
The following user(s) said Thank You: 210greg, Holmz