× Welcome to the OKA forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

NSW Rego

More
27 Jan 2016 16:02 #1 by John and Marg
John and Marg created the topic: NSW Rego
Hi all, we recently acquired our OKA XT from South Australia and have to transfer rego to NSW. I've been told it is classed as a light ridged as tare weight is 5.5ton! That's cool but with enquiring further at a heavy vehicle inspection mechanic I was told that no air brakes so not in heavy class. So with that I was told a blue slip from a normal inspection mechanic is ok!!!! Something to me not sounding right!! Maybe someone with a NSW rego on there OKA could tell me what the go is??? I'm so confused. Also is it a NSW Light Ridged licence required to pilot our beast ?? I'm ok I have an MC licence but Margi hasn't! (I need her to drive after beer o'clock)!!!! Cheers John.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Jan 2016 19:17 #2 by Ralley
Ralley replied the topic: NSW Rego
If it's not a bus a normal heavy vehicle inspection is required. As far as I understand.
Rob
The following user(s) said Thank You: John and Marg

More
27 Jan 2016 20:11 #3 by Peter Davis
Peter Davis replied the topic: NSW Rego
Just be careful in Qld and NSW as I believe you need to be zero BAC, in Victoria you need to be zero for any bus or trucks over 15 tonne.
I also thought until recently that I could drive up to 110kph in 110 zone. Any vehicle over 4.5 tonne is restricted to 100kph even in a 110 zone. Especially important if you don't have a Perky.

More
27 Jan 2016 22:25 #4 by John and Marg
John and Marg replied the topic: NSW Rego
I see! At the moment it is rego in SA as a station wagon. Hummm!!!!!!!

More
28 Jan 2016 03:59 #5 by 210greg
210greg replied the topic: NSW Rego
210 was a bus with Qld rego when purchased. It is now NSW rego as a van that seats 9. Some have since been removed. Needed heavy blue slip. Also obtained LR licence some say that Marg could drive the Oka with you side saddle without an LR but this seems a grey area I think best gain the LR to cover all bases.

More
28 Jan 2016 04:29 - 28 Jan 2016 04:43 #6 by OKABloke
OKABloke replied the topic: NSW Rego
With the Rego make sure it is registered as a Non commercial vehicle, The rego will be cheaper,
In South Australia I can do 110 in a 110Kph Zone yet in Eastern Sates I can only Do 100Kph in a 110Kph Zone
I can have under .05 BAC in South Australia and still drive my OKA But this may be different in the Eastern States
In South Australia you do not need to stop at a Weigh Station even if there is a sign stating ALL Vehicles over 4.5 Ton Must stop providing you are not registered as a Commercial Vehicle, However this is also Different in other states.
So much for our National Road Rules.

Unsealed 4x4 had an article: Towing Legalities in Australia and a couple of points of interest
"If a vehicle and trailer has a GCM over 5 tonnes the maximum speed limit is 100kph (In WA any vehicle towing a trailer over 750Kg has a 100Kph speed limit)"

So I went on to "My Licence" website in South Australia and found the Heavy Vehicles Handbook (LT to Road Train) and on Page 65 found the following:
In South Australia the maximum speed limit for a vehicle that exceeds a GVM of over 12 t or a bus GVM over 5 t is 100 km/h unless lower limits
apply e.g. road trains. For certain road conditions (e.g. sharp bend, steep descent, winding road),
special speed limit signs may be posted for trucks, road trains and buses. You must not drive at a speed greater than the speed shown on the sign

Definition of a Truck and Bus: Trucks include all vehicles with a Gross Vehicle Mass (GVM) over 4.5 tonne (except a bus, tram or tractor), regardless of make or model.

In NSW the maximum speed limit for a vehicle more than 4.5 tonnes Gross Vehicle Mass (GVM) is 100 km/h.

Victoria:
In Victoria the maximum speed limit for a vehicle more than 4.5 tonnes Gross Vehicle Mass (GVM) is 100 km/h Even in a 110Kph Zone.

The AAR define a ‘truck’ to be a motor vehicle with a GVM over 4.5 tonnes, except a bus, tram or tractor. Because ‘vehicle’ includes ‘combination’ your rig is considered a ‘truck’ if the GVM/GCM is over 4.5 tonnes. Then there’s the ‘TRUCK & BUS LANE’ signs. By now it won’t surprise you to learn that if your GVM/GCM is over 4.5 tonne then you must use the truck and bus lane until a sign indicates that the lane has ended. You must also obey ‘TRUCKS MUST ENTER’ and ‘TRUCKS & BUSES MUST USE LOW GEAR’ signs.

Hope this helps

For Sale:
XT and LT Parts and Service Manuals Available on CD or Download. $150.00 Set

OKA 4x4 Facebook Page
www.facebook.com/groups/1597409843913222/

David
Last Edit: 28 Jan 2016 04:43 by OKABloke.

More
28 Jan 2016 06:25 #7 by PeteFox
PeteFox replied the topic: NSW Rego
John
in NSW you will only need a 'blue slip'
you will need a LR licence unless you reduce the GVM to under 4.5T.
Pete

Pete Fox OKA266 MultiCab
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

www.byles.net/www.oka4wd.com/forum/membe...oka-266?limitstart=0

More
29 Jan 2016 10:25 #8 by T-Rex 146
T-Rex 146 replied the topic: NSW Rego
Hi folks, we have the other Oka from S.A. brother to yours...ha ha . We are in the same situation, Oka due to be transfered from S.A. rego to W.A. Here it has to go over heavy vehicle pits, no problem . Only issue is Mary will have to get a LR license to be able to drive it .

• Peter and Sandra OKA 374
  • Away
More
29 Jan 2016 12:18 #9 by Peter and Sandra OKA 374
Peter and Sandra OKA 374 replied the topic: NSW Rego
As Peter Fox said, blue slip for heavy vehicle for initial NSW rego but annual rego insp can be done by pink slip station as no air over hydraulic brakes, LR licence require to drive it but C class licence holder can drive it if there is a LR or higher in passengers seat, no need for L's in NSW. Both must have zero BAC as advised by RBT in Guyra this morning.
LR licence is pretty easy to do, borrow or hire a 14 seat Hiace bus is easiest vehicle to do test on.

OKA 374 LT Van, converted to camper/motorhome,
400ah Lithiums, 1100w solar, diesel cooking heating and HWS,
Cummins 6BT, Allison 6 speed auto, Nissan transfer.
The following user(s) said Thank You: T-Rex 146, John and Marg

More
30 Jan 2016 07:22 #10 by John and Marg
John and Marg replied the topic: NSW Rego
Hi all, well all great advice and very helpful you have all done well thank you!!!!! Once I get this done I will let you know what the go was. We hope to meet you all one day around the campfire!!! Cheers John.

More
30 Jan 2016 10:55 #11 by T-Rex 146
Love this site as it is so full of info, and helpful members, will get hold of a 14 seat Hi Ace and go for my test now as was not keen on doing it in the Oka!
thanks Mary

More
30 Jan 2016 20:37 #12 by Tony Lee
Tony Lee replied the topic: NSW Rego

T-Rex 146 wrote: Hi folks, we have the other Oka from S.A. brother to yours...ha ha . We are in the same situation, Oka due to be transfered from S.A. rego to W.A. Here it has to go over heavy vehicle pits, no problem . Only issue is Mary will have to get a LR license to be able to drive it .

Betty got her HR licence in a 40' long 17 tonne bus with a 4 speed crash box and a turning circle of 28.5 metres, so Mary will have it somewhat easier.

Tony
The following user(s) said Thank You: T-Rex 146

More
18 Feb 2016 07:26 #13 by T-Rex 146
Oka 146 went over the pits no problem, weighed in at 4.35 ton, and now the big roof rack is off it will weigh even less. So now registered in W.A. I could now drive it without getting LR lic., but it means we would have to get it to Perth and get it engineered 740 kms away, gotta admire Betty getting her lic. in a big bus. I am still deciding what to do.
Mary

More
18 Feb 2016 07:34 #14 by T-Rex 146
Forgot to mention, 146 is now lic. as a panel van! All seats in back removed, bar the 2 behind the driver.

More
18 Feb 2016 07:58 #15 by Paul Scherek
Paul Scherek replied the topic: NSW Rego
On the subject of NSW rego, how do you all get on with the annual pink slip if you happen to be up in the Kimberley or similar where NSW testing stations are a bit thin on the ground? I got caught that way once - stuck in Victoria with work, I had to get my car registered in Victoria and then re-registered in NSW when I got home.

Luckily I still have my house in Victoria so can keep the Oka registered in Victoria but if I ever get permanent in NSW I am not sure what I would do.

More
18 Feb 2016 09:53 #16 by PeteFox
PeteFox replied the topic: NSW Rego

Paul Scherek wrote: On the subject of NSW rego, how do you all get on with the annual pink slip if you happen to be up in the Kimberley or similar where NSW testing stations are a bit thin on the ground?.

What you do,is get it registered in WA while you are there and keep it registered there. The end of annual inspections.
All you need is a physical address at the time you register it

Pete

Pete Fox OKA266 MultiCab
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

www.byles.net/www.oka4wd.com/forum/membe...oka-266?limitstart=0

More
19 Feb 2016 14:16 #17 by darren lilly
darren lilly replied the topic: NSW Rego
Has anyone looked into nsw classic vehicle rego, I enquired about some old jeeps Ive got as they are over 30 years old & found that the Oka also qualifies, with the new 60 day rule maybe all I´ll need, not sure if modified Oka´s are accepted

• Away
More
19 Feb 2016 19:34 #18 by Peter and Sandra OKA 374
A quick look at the RMS site dated the 16th feb 2016, from what I can see an Oka isn't 30 years old yet, you still have to be a historic vehicle club member and vehicles over 4.5t GVM can only run at 2/3rds of the GVM.
Years ago we did have a recreational vehicle rego which was great for those only using the vehicle for occasional weekends and annual leave but when they realised that plenty of 4wd's were being registered under it they camcelled it as it was only a fraction of the normal rego.

More
20 Feb 2016 17:46 #19 by darren lilly
darren lilly replied the topic: NSW Rego
look up port stephens classic automobile association,scroll down a little bit then check out under who can join.

• Away
More
21 Feb 2016 04:00 #20 by Peter and Sandra OKA 374
It's the same with our local classic vehicle club in Dungog, probably the same with most historic vehicle clubs, no problems with joining but no H plate until its 30 years old.