× Welcome to the OKA forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

New members Mark & Deborah Beaton #037

More
06 May 2016 21:10 #1 by debmark
debmark created the topic: New members Mark & Deborah Beaton #037
Hi, after searching through your wonderful website for months as a guest, we decided to travel to Vic to check out #037. A converted Camper that OKAPETE had for sale.
After Talking my wife Deb into it, we/I decided to give #037 a new home in Campbelltown NSW.
I started touring in series Landrovers back in the late 70's to our present vehicle a TDV8 Range Rover Sport, towing a 14'6" offroad caravan. During a recent trip along the Oodnadatta Track we had various problems. One of the caravans independent springs broke, also the Sport's tyres didn't survive(carrying 3 spares) 4 tyres being replaced at Alice Springs while the caravan spring temporary repaired we limped back home having to stay on the bitumen.
There has to be a better vehicle for outback touring and hopefully with an Oka, we now have one.
It needs a bit of work to be able to be registered, than we want to refit the internals.
I hope with plenty of reading and a few questions I have not bitten off more than I can chew!
Regards,
Mark and Deb.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 May 2016 05:00 #2 by 210greg
210greg replied the topic: New members Mark & Deborah Beaton #037
welcome Mark and Deb I hope sure Oka PETE would have put you on the right track. You are going to be in for a real treat ENJOY
Greg
The following user(s) said Thank You: debmark

More
07 May 2016 05:58 #3 by catdav
catdav replied the topic: New members Mark & Deborah Beaton #037
Welcome that was us nearly 4 years ago had a few sleepless nights where we thought we would never get it all done I don't think our oka will ever be finished but it's a very capable vehicle as it stands today would not have been possible without the backup of a few of the oka experts around ask questions and stick at it it will be worth it

More
07 May 2016 06:42 - 07 May 2016 06:51 #4 by dandjcr
dandjcr replied the topic: New members Mark & Deborah Beaton #037
Mark and Deb, I guess many people felt apprehensive when starting their forays into the world of Oka, we certainly did.

You'll find quite a few useful comments on this recent post when Rov was in a similar position.

It is a fairly big step and learning curve, not unusual for a rare and unique vehicle, but that's what this site/Oka community is here to help with.

Knowing your vehicle, technically and personally, allows you to avoid or overcome inevitable problems and enjoy happy and successful outback travel.

After 12 years, I'm still impressed by our Oka's capabilities and with an Oka you'll often be the centre of attention, enjoy!

David

David and Janet Ribbans - Oka 148
Oka148 profile here.
Visit our technical and travel blogs: here.
Last Edit: 07 May 2016 06:51 by dandjcr.

More
07 May 2016 08:30 #5 by Paul Scherek
Paul Scherek replied the topic: New members Mark & Deborah Beaton #037
Welcome. You made the only possible decision - after Land and Range Rovers there is simply only ONE way up - the Oka!!
Anything else would be a step backwards.

More
07 May 2016 12:47 #6 by debmark
debmark replied the topic: New members Mark & Deborah Beaton #037
Thanks for the big welcome. Mark drove from Campbelltown to Melbourne to see the OKA. I have to say it was love at first sight. People keep asking why?????? Why an OKA. after the holiday we had at the Northern Territory and all that went wrong if you mentioned the word holiday he got the shakes and the shudders. The car was not the problem this time....... but the van was having a sickie..... Mark is looking forward to working on the OKA and has been researching things he will need and how to set it up. He said he is keeping the van till the Oka is all done, but after reading your letters that seems to be a dream, as it is half the fun coming up with new ideas to do and try. My problem is getting in and out of it. I just need a beautiful staircase that slides out at the press of a button...... Hahahahaha. I know from past talks with mark, the little step ladder will be my staircase... for a while at least. Debbie

More
07 May 2016 13:33 #7 by T-Rex 146
T-Rex 146 replied the topic: New members Mark & Deborah Beaton #037
Hi Mark and Deb and welcome to this great site, it is a valuable source of information and encouragement, we purchased our Oka 1.11.15 from Exploranges, S.A. former life as a tour bus. We were lucky as it finished it's last tour in W.A. where we live, so only had to go to Perth (730kms away) to pick it up. We have done many trips over the past 8 years with Brett and his Okas as support for motorbike treks, often up to 2000kms journeys, usually out in the sticks, and seeing what other Oka owners have done to theirs, this convinced us Okas are the way to go. Ours is in the process of a re-do, it is a bus body and have removed all the seats bar two, and we have removed roof to put hi riser on and are decking it out as an RV inside. Heaps to do but progress is being made, hope to get the most necessary things done before our big trip to the Kimberley in July with 3 other Oka owners, we are meeting up in Kununurra. We are looking forward to many adventures in ours, and those of the Oka community we have met so far, have been really friendly and helpful people. So you are in good hands on this site.
Mary

More
07 May 2016 15:49 - 07 May 2016 15:50 #8 by dandjcr
dandjcr replied the topic: New members Mark & Deborah Beaton #037

debmark wrote: People keep asking why?????? Why an OKA.

Debbie, you'll get that a lot, from people who can't believe there could be anything better than a Toyo/Mitzi/LandRover etc.

It is a courageous step up to an Oka and it's not all beer and skittles, but some of the attributes which attracted us to an Oka 12 years ago were:

Spacious and big enough to live in (no camper trailers/caravans needed).
High clearance and great visibility from being above the rest.
Rugged good looks which will attract attention (eg "freakin' awesome vehicle!").
Durability which is much more than skin deep.
An engineers vehicle that you won't be afraid of modifying or drilling holes in.
Surprisingly light and easy to drive (although a bit long to begin with, and they do have gears).

Plus a few attributes we didn't know back then:

Tough, secure vehicle, not easily broken into or stolen.
Hard (but not impossible) to break.
Tackles rough overgrown tracks with only superficial damage (I wouldn't take a new $100k 'cruiser down Oka tracks).
Fuel economy good compared to a 4WD towing a caravan (but tyres can be expensive).
Endlessly repairable.
Maintains value.

A few words of caution:

Can be a handful around shopping centre carparks, (not their natural environment, but you won't lose it).
Don't miss the grab handle getting out, steps notwithstanding, it's along hard fall to the ground.

David

David and Janet Ribbans - Oka 148
Oka148 profile here.
Visit our technical and travel blogs: here.
Last Edit: 07 May 2016 15:50 by dandjcr.