× Welcome to the OKA forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

New Member - Howard

More
21 Feb 2017 19:59 #1 by Bony
Bony created the topic: New Member - Howard
Hi All.

Finally bought our first OKA.

To us, it is not Just the vehicle but the lifestyle. We can now get ‘further out’ to areas we desire, And Stay Much Longer.

We Love the remote, untouched areas. The Lady studies the plant life while I throw my backpack on get lost out over the dunes on foot for the day. Also Great to meet all the critters . We love history, so read many old books of places and peoples of yesterday. Finding long lost locations is one of my favourites. Finding 'signs' of the early frontier days and beyond is a great research subject for us both. After 10 years with the troopy we can now extend our stays way off the track.

Is it the Serenity, the Independence, or is it the “scope’ of another time??, I do not know… but we love it. To us the Oka will help us fulfil this...and more..

Howard and Kim
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paul Scherek

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Feb 2017 20:10 #2 by Outback Jack
Outback Jack replied the topic: New Member - Howard
Welcome aboard........

Do you know what number your OKA is? Any pics?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bony

More
21 Feb 2017 20:25 #3 by dandjcr
dandjcr replied the topic: New Member - Howard
Howard and Kim, sounds like you'll fit right in.

Remoteness is what Janet and I like too. 5 days without seeing another person is our record when travelling alone (Kunawaritji to Warburton via Gary and Gunbarrel Highways), and 13 days when in the company of 2 other Okas (crossing the Great Sandy Desert).

Is it true you've recently acquired Oka036? If so I'll update our database accordingly.

David and Janet

David and Janet Ribbans - Oka 148
Oka148 profile here.
Visit our technical and travel blogs: here.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bony

More
22 Feb 2017 04:01 #4 by 210greg
210greg replied the topic: New Member - Howard
welcome Howard enjoy.

More
23 Feb 2017 08:53 #5 by Bony
Bony replied the topic: New Member - Howard
Hi All. Thanks Outback Jack, dandjcr, and 210greg.
Yes, 036 parks up in our yard now. Has the 'all weather' back on it with the basics for long bush stays.
After going over everything in and out we will venture out on some small trips to refine our needs.
Few mechanical needs - driver side steering wobble, noise and some fumes in cab,Spring hanger bolt/pin upgrade, etc.
Extras to get/install, Pyro Boost guage, Watchdog temp alarm, etc.
Remove toilet. Re-Secure gas bottles. Basically as best as "corrugation proof" as can be sensible achieved. Build a small arsenal of emergency spares, which will happen when a full service is done.
And before the big trips begin early next year - a set of good Tyres for 60% dirt/gravel 30% sand 10% Bitumen.

"Steel sharpens steel" so am open for discussion/talk on; for and against, your experiences and past OKA 'facts of life'.
I am not the best on mechanics but do most things myself, but I Can be taught. I have already read Many old posts on subjects of interest and now with discussion I hope to refine and apply things learnt.

Thanks to all for a great site that truly has enormous value.
Howard
Attachments:

More
23 Feb 2017 10:07 #6 by 210greg
210greg replied the topic: New Member - Howard
looks good Howard and yes this site holds a great wealth of knowledge and info.

More
23 Feb 2017 10:58 #7 by dandjcr
Howard, I've updated our database with your ownership of Oka036. Where are you located so I can add that info?

David

Oka148 profile here.

More
23 Feb 2017 11:10 #8 by dandjcr

howard wrote: Few mechanical needs - driver side steering wobble, noise and some fumes in cab,Spring hanger bolt/pin upgrade, etc.
Howard

Howard,

Drivers side wheel wobble could be worn steering knuckle bushes/springs or loose worn tie rod ends or U bolts, or springs moving about on worn shackle pins

Noise/fumes in cab - check seal on engine cover and that it's closing effectively. Improve the sound insulation on the under side of the engine cover. Also check the rear engine access panel.

Spring bolt upgrade - a good idea, the original 16mm pins and metal bushes were not very effective or strong, and difficult to fix on the side of the road.

David

Oka148 profile here.