× Welcome to the OKA forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

New Member - Holmz

• Holmz
  • Holmz's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
More
10 May 2017 20:24 #1 by Holmz
Holmz created the topic: New Member - Holmz
I rode in one in 98 in the Kimberly and was impressed.
I've been looking at the Toyota Troupe carriers and/or Utes for a few years, and when I passed an Izuzu this afternoon I got to thinking...

So I am re-exploring whether an OKA makes sense for me.
I think all I need a 2 seater, but a bus style or extended cab makes sense for the occasional need to carry 3 or 4 people.

I am good with electrical and body work, but prefer something that has rego and runs relatively dependably or at least something like a Perkins (assuming that they are either dependable or easily sourced). I basically have enough other projects to not require another full time project.

Are these easy to pinch? Or does one go about preventing that?
The house garage is not large enough and is full anyhow, so I do not want it going on walkabout around the Alice.
And then there is working on blessings with the minister of domestics and finance.

~Holmz

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 May 2017 03:10 - 11 May 2017 19:11 #2 by outyonda
outyonda replied the topic: New Member - Holmz
Holmz welcome to the site

there are several for sale
scroll down the index to sales yard here in the forum & gumtree
I have a few for sale ( OKA's 4 sale)

Brett
0429 831040

OKAs 091, 093, 094, 113, 346x6 & 405
Last Edit: 11 May 2017 19:11 by outyonda.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Holmz

More
11 May 2017 05:16 #3 by 210greg
210greg replied the topic: New Member - Holmz
Welcome will not be disappointed if you do go down the Oka path as everything Oka is an experience in its self. many option are around Oka Pete in Melb is a great source for whats on the market also has a wealth of knowledge on the history of most trucks send him a pm. Hope you enjoy the ride.
Greg

More
11 May 2017 06:20 - 11 May 2017 06:30 #4 by dandjcr
dandjcr replied the topic: New Member - Holmz
G'Day Holmz, there are several forum discussions on buying an Oka, such as here and here .

My minister of finance was a bit sceptical at first but once she mastered the art of getting aboard, she loved the spacious interior, the visibility and rugged dependability of our Oka, and still does after 13 years. If you're in to outback travel, an Oka will meet your needs.

I don't think an Oka is easy to steal, they are difficult to penetrate when locked and difficult to conceal. And if you add a switch to turn off off the fuel solenoid (one wire) they won't start.

But there are lots of options so ask all the questions you like first and I'm sure you'll find all the answers.

Regards, David

David and Janet Ribbans - Oka 148
Oka148 profile here.
Visit our technical and travel blogs: here.
Last Edit: 11 May 2017 06:30 by dandjcr.

• Holmz
  • Away
More
11 May 2017 18:09 - 11 May 2017 18:14 #5 by Holmz
Holmz replied the topic: New Member - Holmz
Does someone have length and width dimensions? I need to see if it fits in the driveway...

210greg wrote: Welcome will not be disappointed if you do go down the Oka path as everything Oka is an experience in its self. many option are around Oka Pete in Melb is a great source for whats on the market also has a wealth of knowledge on the history of most trucks send him a pm. Hope you enjoy the ride.
Greg

Pete in Melbourne??? I may be headed there in a month... Maybe I should look him up?

outyonda wrote: Holms welcome to the site
there are several for sale
scroll down the index to sales yard here in the forum & gumtree
I have a few for sale ( OKA's 4 sale)

Brett
0429 831040

Brett thanks for your time today
Last Edit: 11 May 2017 18:14 by Holmz.

More
11 May 2017 18:39 #6 by OKAPETE
OKAPETE replied the topic: New Member - Holmz
Welcome Holmz. You may contact me on 0412376556. Pete.
Dimensions data attached.

File Attachment:

File Name: OkaDimensi...5-11.pdf
File Size:156 KB

Chaplain. Won x One Chaplaincy.
AM SAE-A. AAFRB.

Oka 224. 363. 383.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: 210greg, Holmz

More
12 May 2017 04:44 #7 by OKABloke
OKABloke replied the topic: New Member - Holmz
Welcome Holmz
Another place for OKA Related is the OKA 4x4 Facebook Page
www.facebook.com/groups/1597409843913222/

David

For Sale:
XT and LT Parts and Service Manuals Available on CD. $150.00 Delivered
### OKA Manuals Now Available as a Download ###.

20mm Spring Hanger Pin Upgrade Kits.

David

• Holmz
  • Away
More
12 May 2017 05:22 #8 by Holmz
:dry: :dry: :dry: :dry:

OKABloke wrote: Welcome Holmz
Another place for OKA Related is the OKA 4x4 Facebook Page
www.facebook.com/groups/1597409843913222/

David

I try to avoid drama, hence Facebook... Which begs the question of looking at an OKA ;)

I clicked that link to the #131. That seems pretty ideal.

• Holmz
  • Away
More
14 May 2017 16:55 #9 by Holmz
Assuming I got one interstate, as all places are equidistant... Then what spares does one need?
I am thinking a spare set of wheel bearings, and a fresh repack before heading out.
I assume that any engine drama results in tears, but other than fuel of cooling issue, the guts of the engine should not have a dramatically quick issue.

Amd how durable are the spicer trans and NP205?
Once past the transfer case then can one just limp on home even if there is a front or rear drive shaft missing? Or is the transfer case more like an open-diff?... And best to have a spare?

And is there some link with a maintained schedule(?) and general checklist for mitigating tears?
Bearings, hoses, u-joints...

More
14 May 2017 18:23 #10 by mort
mort replied the topic: New Member - Holmz
Hi Holmz I have sent you a private message.
Martyn

More
15 May 2017 06:51 - 15 May 2017 13:19 #11 by dandjcr
dandjcr replied the topic: New Member - Holmz

Holmz wrote: Assuming I got one interstate, as all places are equidistant... Then what spares does one need?
I am thinking a spare set of wheel bearings, and a fresh repack before heading out.
I assume that any engine drama results in tears, but other than fuel of cooling issue, the guts of the engine should not have a dramatically quick issue.

Holmz, that's a never ending query.

An Oka in reasonable nick is a robust vehicle and major failures are rare, but they can and do happen. We have been disabled a few times, some mechanical but mostly driver error (eg getting bogged or lost, reversing into trees).

My advice is to ensure you thoroughly know your vehicle, do plenty of pre-trip maintenance (you'll learn a lot that way), take plenty of information with you and importantly have all the tools necessary (not just spares) to undertake foreseeable repairs.

An Oka is a heavy and unique vehicle so other travellers are less likely to be of much help.

In our experience after 13 years and 170,000km of Oka travel, the most common areas at risk are tyres, suspension and electrical areas. But we've also had steering and brake problems but rarely any engine, gearbox, transfer case or diff problems. You'd think bearings would be an area of risk but that's uncommon too.

Oil seals (diff, hub, transfer case) are prone to leaking but they're only annoying, not terminal.

I've compiled some notes on spares, safety and recovery equipment on our Oka on our blog here . There's also a lot of other stuff there if you look around.

Whatever happens on a trip, treat it as a great experience.

Regards, David

David and Janet Ribbans - Oka 148
Oka148 profile here.
Visit our technical and travel blogs: here.
Last Edit: 15 May 2017 13:19 by dandjcr.

More
15 May 2017 08:29 #12 by Outback Jack
Outback Jack replied the topic: New Member - Holmz
In addition to Davids comments

Tyres
A lot of different options. Some seem to not have any major problems, others do. I think this comes down to a few things. terrain traveled, age of tyre and air pressure matching driving conditions.

Suspension
Again few options etc. Because OKA`s travel so well on secondary roads, some people tend to push the OKA along at 90 - 100 kph etc. They dont realise the hiding the under carriage is getting. Shocks, Chassis and springs etc.
Probably first thing to do is upgrade the spring pins etc, there are a couple options available. One from OKA and one from David H.
Make sure shocks and springs are in good nick. I've seen several OKA with broken springs, most have traveled on secondary roads at speed.
Some have added airbags. For the amount of leafs etc there is actually not a lot of travel between the spring and bump stops.

Electrical
This will depend a bit on if its a XT or LT. LT got some improvements, but there is some common areas to watch out for, like the head light switch etc.
OKA` are now 20 plus years old and the wiring was never really comparable to other vehicles. With the odd join etc. On top of that over the years people modify/fix things. This just complicates things as well.

As David said, go over everything before you do trips will help a lot. Remember they are not a light weight 4wd but a truck. That means getting underneath every now and then, greasing things etc etc.

An OKA should in some ways be treated like the avaition industry treat mechanical things. If its done the HRs or time replace it. Bit radical I know, But if your doing a big outback trip and you dont know when the alternator / water pump / Uni`s etc was replaced. Perhaps its not a bad idea to check them out and replace if they appear suspect.

A water pump in the Perkins last a long time, but will fail at some point. Alternators are off the shelf and can be had for a few hundred dollars, same for Unis, under 100 dollars.

All a lot cheaper to do in the driveway at home than on the side of the road when its 40 degrees plus.

More
15 May 2017 08:52 #13 by Dean and Kaye Howells
Dean and Kaye Howells replied the topic: New Member - Holmz

Holmz wrote: ............................... Amd how durable are the spicer trans and NP205?
Once past the transfer case then can one just limp on home even if there is a front or rear drive shaft missing? Or is the transfer case more like an open-diff?... And best to have a spare?...

I think you'll find the Turner/Spicer gearbox pretty robust and more than capable of withstanding the power/torque of the Perkins or even bigger engines. Like all gearbox's it will wear internally over time and need the odd bearing replacement, re-shim, spare part or seal at some time or other but pretty bullet proof if maintained properly. The NP205 transfer case is pretty much in the same boat strength/reliability wise as the gearbox, perhaps even more so. It is extremely strong and reliable and properly maintained will give years of service.

The Oka gearbox/TC does not have a centre diff (like a Landrover) and can be run on front or rear axle only with one driveshaft removed. If you have a front LSD (like we have) try to avoid 'powering on' and turning the steering wheel at the same time ;) when in front wheel drive mode. Depending on the Oka model it may be possible to remove the TC completely and run the long front drive shaft in the rear, directly off the gearbox, to limp home in 2WD on the rear axle.

Holmz wrote: ............................... And is there some link with a maintained schedule(?) and general checklist for mitigating tears?
Bearings, hoses, u-joints...

Your grease gun is your friend. Nothing special required here just a 'normal' inspection, grease and oils/filter change regime.
For spares it probably depends what and where you're planning to go/do with it. Certainly a wheel bearing set and seals, coolant hoses, belts etc is good. From experience I'd also carry a set of uni joints with retaining caps/screws along with brake caliper wedges/springs/bolts and a pair of brake pads and a spare FWH assembly.

Deano :)

• Holmz
  • Away
More
20 May 2017 18:00 #14 by Holmz
In the usual lunchtime discussion session, once the issues of politics are exhausted then we move onto other topics.
But lately we have been starting with "other topics" as lunch is only so long...
There are three of us usually around the table...
fellow #1 is a keen 4-wdr sort and the other (Fellow #2) no interest whatsoeva.
Both said, "Are you totally mad?".
And I said, "You guys sound like the Mrs."
Once of them said, "What does the Mrs do?""
"<er>.... " ... followed by laughter.

A third fellow (Fellow #3) is pretty keen, and I have been consulting with him on Troupies for a couple of years.
when I mentioned OKA, he said... , "Absolutely get it, you would be mad not to".

The Son-in-Law (SiL), is totally truck-mad, and he said "I read that they roll easy..."

Anyhow... My question is... How did most of you people have their SO/Spouse/Partner initially react?
1) WTF? <over>
2) ... in between ...
3) or... Totally "On-Board" with it conceptually?

Why is it that the OKAs seem to generate some significant emotion?

More
20 May 2017 19:11 #15 by Bony
Bony replied the topic: New Member - Holmz
Hi Holmz
You mentioned Troopy. I have had one for years. Absolutely beautiful. Reliable and go near anywhere. Still high maintenance and as others have said Know your vehicle. Pull in anywhere and roll into the back and sleep. We have enjoyed many serene places because of the troopy.
But have moved to an Oka. Why? Has more to offer in the way of protection from the elements. How many times the rain, cold, mossies , flies, etc have done their deed. The Oka has a Home onboard- yes a real haven for a moments rest,read,etc. we have the potential to stay out way much longer than before, and ... at our pace. I hate turning back or being forced to move on when you do not want to.
The lady loves the bush anyways, but the Oka really has Added more to our adventures. It is what we have always wanted.
Bony

More
21 May 2017 05:03 #16 by Peter and Sandra OKA 374
Peter and Sandra OKA 374 replied the topic: New Member - Holmz
We tried twice over the years to buy a new one from the factory, both times they were not interested in a single sale as they were chasing the business market. When we finally bought one secondhand over a decade later we immediately realised that we should have persisted in earlier days as with three kids it would have been ideal as it easily would have handled the load unlike a succession of overloaded troopies over the years.
Like Bony our decision to buy an Oka was due to desire to be able to "go inside and shut the door" when camped up due to the weather, bugs etc and after an initial 6 months spent turning it into a comfortable home on wheels for extended travel we are still very happy with our choice. The subsequent driveline and engine mods have only made a great vehicle even better and yes the "boss" is still happy with our choice and was the main instigator in our initial purchase.

OKA 374 LT Van, converted to camper/motorhome,
400ah Lithiums, 680w solar, diesel cooking heating and HWS,
Cummins 6BT, Allison 6 speed auto, Nissan transfer.

More
21 May 2017 06:53 #17 by mort
mort replied the topic: New Member - Holmz
Hi Holmz
I am like Peter I was going to get one 8 yrs earlier but at the last minute didnt which was a good thing as I wouldnt have appreciated it.
When I did revisit Hilda was a bit sceptical but accepted that I knew what I was doing and as I dont drink gamble play sport or have a hobby I had to have an interest and while I was spending time and money on the OKA (not another woman) I wasnt annoying her,it is two fold for her as I dont get in her hair and she can come on trips as well and I dont mind as at the end of the day I have someone to cook for me.
So ask your SiL can he tell you how many have rolled,it is allways someone who has never owned one who says that.
I went on a trip last year with 4 others and we were amazed at how far they leaned and none rolled,it is very hard to roll unless you are an idiot then any vehicle can roll.
One of the guys who I go prospecting with has a troopy but after a few trips with my OKA he has purchased his own.
If your missus doesn't like camping or the outback then it wont matter what you get but if she likes a troopy then she will love an OKA.
Martyn (its an OKA thing)

• Holmz
  • Away
More
21 May 2017 10:42 #18 by Holmz
It is more the confirmation bias that is surprising. The Ford, Holden and Dodge person all urinate in the general direction of the others. The OKA seems to not be immune to being disparaged by the Toyota and Prado crowd.

mort wrote: Hi Holmz
1) ... I don't mind as at the end of the day I have someone to cook for me.

2) ... it is very hard to roll unless you are an idiot then any vehicle can roll.

3) ... then she will love an OKA.
(its an OKA thing)

1) Yep - I think it is more the thought of an OKA replacing the current ute... and using it as a daily weekly driver... Which the ute usually does a day a week towards the tip, or the occasional trip to work. So sometimes 2 days/week.

2) It is not that hard to roll a vehicle, and many do not appreciate that in the case of a slide/spin one should be steering to the yaw-rate rather than the 'slip-angle position'... and "driver induced oscillation" like "pilot induced oscillation" (PIO) is easy to achieve.
Similarly with roll, it is pretty easy to achieve a decent roll-momentum, and it is also easy to avoid it when one understands how to it happens in the first place.

3) Well we need to do some more trips I think, and the Forester is shockingly small once one loads up just a few supplies. It is hard to do more than a day-trip. Even a simple overnight trip has swags and tents which overwhelm the space quickly.

More
21 May 2017 12:19 #19 by T-Rex 146
T-Rex 146 replied the topic: New Member - Holmz
Hi there, We travelled with Okas for around 8 years, one or sometimes two trips in the year, usually one to two weeks with Brett and his Okas when he did the off road support tours for Out Yonda Dirtbike Adventures when he used to run them. Fantastic trips. I went along as cook and Trev rode his dirtbike with the other riders. Never actually thought to get an Oka back then, as when we went on our holidays (mainly to Alice for the Finke Desert Race which Trev raced on his motorbike) we took our Hilux ute with dirtbike on the back and towed our Cub Spacematic Drover camper trailer, which was great at the time but now that we go into even more adventurous territory, we wanted something 4WD and not tow anything, so the Oka was the obvious choice - at my suggestion, I was really taken by them, and hubby didn't take much convincing. Getting in and out is not an issue for me as I have a system which works great (and I am nearly 70)
You won't regret buying one, and like others have said you have your home on wheels, which is a bonus.
We did a pretty hairy trip last year with 4 other Oka owners - the Carson River/Stryker Track, and that tested the Oka's every way imaginable, so was very impressed with it's capabilities. Like they say maintenace is important. Enjoy!
Mary

• Holmz
  • Away
More
07 Sep 2017 20:43 #20 by Holmz
Where does one get the double damper brackets to put on a single damper OKA?