Don't slam the $%*&()@#$ door

More
01 Nov 2012 12:41 #1 by dandjcr
dandjcr created the topic: Don't slam the $%*&()@#$ door
Forum Home > OKA Maintenance > Don't slam the $%*&()@#$ door.

OKA4WD.com
Administrator
From Tony Lee:

At least that was one way to get it to stay shut but today even that brutality stopped being effective.
I've seen some info on fixing the problem (the lock failing to hold in either the first or second "click" position) but I can't find it on this site anywhere.
Can anyone point me to the right spot - or give me the clue on whether there is any adjustment available in the lock assembly itself. I tried moving the striker plate but the problem is in the lock mechanism itself. Obviously a wear problem and none of the other three locks have a problem (or at least the same problem) but I don't want to pull it apart right now unless I have the info and the gear needed to fix it.
April 11, 2010 at 10:58 PM Flag Quote & Reply

OKA4WD.com
Administrator
From David Ribbans:

Tony,
I think I'm the guilty party here. See my blog entry at dandjribbans.blogspot.com/2009/05/revivi...ka-door-catches.html
Regards,
Dave Ribbans
April 11, 2010 at 10:59 PM Flag Quote & Reply

OKA4WD.com
Administrator
From Tony Lee:

Thanks Dave. Thought it was your stuff but couldn't find it on your blog. Currently trying to catch my breath after going from -200-odd feet below sea level and 90degreesF at Death Valley to 7000+ feet and 15 degrees F in the Sierras, so it will be a while before I can try out your advice. Since the problem is just on the driver's door, it has to be wear.
If that fails and repair is going to take too long, my fallback position is a couple of strong ocky straps so we don't waste any time in trying out all my hard work.
Tony
April 11, 2010 at 11:00 PM Flag Quote & Reply

OKA4WD.com
Administrator
From David Ribbans:

Thanks Tony, if it turns out to need some other work, let me know and I'll add it to my blog on the subject.
David
April 11, 2010 at 11:01 PM Flag Quote & Reply

OKA4WD.com
Administrator
David's info on door catches is now also on this site at www.oka4wd.com/apps/wiki/door-catches (that's under Mods & Repairs on the menu bar at the top).
April 11, 2010 at 11:04 PM

David and Janet Ribbans - Oka 148
Oka148 profile here.
Visit our technical and travel blogs: here.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.