New Headlights

More
01 Nov 2012 11:55 #1 by dandjcr
dandjcr created the topic: New Headlights
Forum Home > OKA Maintenance > New Headlights

Hal Harvey
Site Owner
After 15 years, #260's headlights were well and truly sandblasted and stoned, to the point where the glass acted more like a diffusion layer than a refractive lens. The dull yellow glow was dangerously disappointing on low beam, and while I had enough oomph in additional driving lights to keep us heading in the right direction on high beam, it was evident there was a need for a refresh.

David Hallandal's revision had caught my eye - he had ditched the small standard Hella high beams, and replaced them with a second set of full-size headlights. I thought it looked better than standard.

I contacted David to get some tips, and of course nobody should be surprised that there was more to his upgrade than meets the eye. He replied:

ARB supplied the IPF lenses x4. For the top set you will need to put a 10mm spacer under the reflector holder. 2x reflector holders, any motor traders should have them, Narva part number 72198 or Hella part number 1024.

The HID globe you are after are is 4500K or 6000K colour, NO higher colour range. Get these from Ebay, there's a Hi/Lo Kit (Lo or Hi only would be even better). I used the 6000K.

The units I used were NOT the magnetic type that moved but the Hi/Lo with the extra globe for the Hi. What you do is remove the globe on both. The Hi also needs the little steel shield to be removed. Both jobs one philips head screw. Add a couple of diodes so Lo stays on when Hi is on and Hey Presto you can see at night.

Hope this Helps

David
August 29, 2010 at 10:48 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Hal Harvey
Site Owner
So I began to follow his lead, but thought maybe I could still use the two original full size headlights for high beams, as I really did have enough output already in that area. I got the two IPFs for high/low, and fitted them at the top in place of the Hellas. I wanted them up high for extra angle over my occasional front cooler rack. However on that front I was concerned about dazzling other drivers by using HIDs for low beam on such high-mounted lights; so I stuck with halogens, but upgraded to 80/100W globes and ARB's corresponding wiring loom.

That all worked, but I pondered on what to do with the lower headlights for a while longer. HIDs in the old lenses, halogens because I didn't really need any more light anyway, aftermarket HIDs in new lenses, or go the whole hog and get IPF HIDs complete?

While I was procrastinating, I came across some 72W LED floodlights, in nearly the right size. Hmmm, different. The same manufacturer had LED daytime running lights, which had been on my to-do list. Right then. Even if they were no good, what better time to try....

In they went. I did take some pics of how I cut things around behind and did the brackets, but I can't find them now. Anyway, it was all pretty simple. They've done a few thousand km now and have stayed where they were meant to.

So are the LEDs any good? Well, probably yes. It's hard to gauge the spread but it seems to be about as much as the 2 x 100W Super Oscars put out (the LEDs are 4x6x3W = 72W each), but a much whiter light, which I like. And if I ever get hit by sniper fire, they mostly keep working, which I'm told is why the US Army likes them. So that's handy. And they don't look the same as all those other Okas around.

The LED daytime running lights, I'm extra happy with. They are seriously bright in daylight, definitely more penetrating than headlights.
--
Hal

August 29, 2010 at 11:02 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Outback Jack
Interesting.

I have been thinking what to do with 244 when I get her. I am a Jaycar dealer and was thinking of using their HID Kits. I was also thinking to change to round lights instead of the ones in already. Maybe a trip to a few wreckers and see what fits and what doesn't.
--

August 30, 2010 at 7:07 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Tony Lee
No annual rego checks in your state Hal

Seen a few cars with those "daytime LED lights, including on a NSW Ambulance. Seriously glary for oncoming drivers under some conditions.

My solution for lousy lighting is to only drive at night when it is absolutely essential - and nowadays in our permanent RVing lifestyle, that is very unlikely
--
Tony

picasaweb.google.com/114611728110254134379

August 30, 2010 at 9:28 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Hal Harvey
Site Owner
No, no annual rego checks, and that's how we like it!

But, without trying to appear too defensive, I think the headlight arrangement is legal. The driving lights, possibly not. Here's the logic:

The original little rectangular Hellas come with 55W globes, and are not wired to a separate switch; which is OK as long as they retain 55W, because then they can be classified as high beam headlights, and can be switched with the hi/lo headlight switch (which is how Oka made it originally). By replacing them with more powerful driving lights, it became a legal requirement to have them not only switched with the headlights, but to have a separate on/off switch in the circuit as well. That has been done.

The DRLs are legal provided they automatically switch off when the headlights are switched on. That too has been done (part of the standard wiring that comes with them). More info on DRLs from Hella here. Mine aren't Hella LEDayLines, they're copies but made to be square-on rather than swept back like the Hellas.

Moving the headlights to the higher position is still legal; the maximum height for a low beam headlight is 1.4m, which is about the top of the barwork. There is no height limit on high beam or driving lights (used to be, but it has disappeared out of regulation) - just the 1.4m for low beam.

The driving lights in the middle, I'm not so sure. I'll have to go back and re-read the ADRs and WA regulations, which do not always align. There is some talk of being in pairs, which reads like three in a row would not be acceptable; but I have asked those who should know and to date, they shrug it off.
--
Hal

August 31, 2010 at 12:03 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Geoff
WOW! No, no annual rego checks, and that's how we like it! How did you manage that, or is it a fringe benefit of W.A. Hope I am allowed to put spot lights on the roof in Qld.

Geoff
August 31, 2010 at 2:00 PM Flag Quote & Reply

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
G'day Hal just looking at your photo's and like the look of your twin steering dampers, what brand are they as I am replacing my old one.
Thanks Darren
August 31, 2010 at 7:47 PM Flag Quote & Reply

travis
thats just how it is in WA no rego checks you cant have any more than 6 high beams and any roof lights have to be in the forward 1/3 of the roof
August 31, 2010 at 8:06 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Hal Harvey
Site Owner
Darren, that's a Skyjacker setup from the USA. I tried my best to buy a better-than-standard steering damper in Australia, but unless it's a Nissan or a Cruiser, nobody wants to know. I'm happy as a clam with this one. Part number is SKJ 7220, about $200 by the time it's at your door.
--
Hal

August 31, 2010 at 8:33 PM Flag Quote & Reply

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Hi Hal
Thanks for the reply, sounds cheap enough just wondering how one goes about ordering them, over the internet or through a business in Australia ?
Thanks again Darren
September 1, 2010 at 11:29 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Hal Harvey
Site Owner
I'll PM you on that Darren.
--
Hal

September 1, 2010 at 9:34 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Tony Lee
Hal Harvey at August 31, 2010 at 8:33 PM
Darren, that's a Skyjacker setup from the USA. I tried my best to buy a better-than-standard steering damper in Australia, but unless it's a Nissan or a Cruiser, nobody wants to know. I'm happy as a clam with this one. Part number is SKJ 7220, about $200 by the time it's at your door.
Hmmmmm! Sounds like a good use for that excessive 50kg of luggage allowance on our next trip to the US
--
Tony

September 1, 2010 at 9:51 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Tony Lee
cpwstore.carpartswholesale.com/catalog/?...cker+steering+damper

About a third the way down the page for the model Hal mentioned
--
Tony

September 1, 2010 at 10:08 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Hal Harvey
Site Owner
Geoff at August 31, 2010 at 2:00 PM
WOW! No, no annual rego checks, and that's how we like it! How did you manage that, or is it a fringe benefit of W.A. Hope I am allowed to put spot lights on the roof in Qld.

Geoff
One of the many fringe benefits of living in WA! Only a Labor government would introduce annual checks... no, I shouldn't get political I know... but really, only lovers of bureaucracy would do such a thing.

Anyway back on track, you'd want to pause for breath before putting driving lights on the roof of an Oka I reckon; it's a lot closer to the trees up there. Fine if it's all desert driving, but if not, I think you'll find the overhanging stuff might win the odd fight. The reason my sun visor has a little more white showing on the outer bits is because the branches beat the black paint off it in no time. Lights on top of the skippy collector is still pretty high compared to most vehicles.
--
Hal

September 1, 2010 at 10:44 PM

David and Janet Ribbans - Oka 148
Oka148 profile here.
Visit our technical and travel blogs: here.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.