× Post your interesting, useful and/or unique bush mechanics solutions here for others to smile at and maybe learn from.

Steering box failure in Africa…can anybody help?

More
12 Nov 2015 02:58 #1 by Fundionafrica
Fundionafrica created the topic: Steering box failure in Africa…can anybody help?
Hi Guys

I own OKA numbers 209 and 250. I live in Kasane Botswana Africa. I have adapted these vehicles to do safari trips. I have developed a leak in a steering pump and cannot find the info on who supplies this pump. I am aware that the OKA's are a collection of great products but need to know who manufactured the pump and a part number if possible.

Can anyone help?

Brett

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Nov 2015 05:08 - 16 Sep 2017 04:30 #2 by OKABloke
OKABloke replied the topic: Steering box failure in Africa…can anybody help?
Post Deleted By OKABloke

For Sale:
XT and LT Parts and Service Manuals Available on CD. $150.00 Delivered
### OKA Manuals Now Available as a Download ###.

20mm Spring Hanger Pin Upgrade Kits.

David
Last Edit: 16 Sep 2017 04:30 by OKABloke.

More
12 Nov 2015 05:39 #3 by PeteFox
PeteFox replied the topic: Steering box failure in Africa…can anybody help?
We are using steering pump and steering box as though they are the same thing. I'm a bit confused.
Exactly what is the question?
Pete

Pete Fox OKA266 MultiCab
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

www.byles.net/www.oka4wd.com/forum/membe...oka-266?limitstart=0

More
12 Nov 2015 05:43 - 12 Nov 2015 05:53 #4 by dandjcr
dandjcr replied the topic: Steering box failure in Africa…can anybody help?
Brett, if it's the hydraulic pump you are after, it's a Vickers/Eaton V10 series pump, see this post .

If you have a leak in the steering box, this article of mine might help.

There's also a lot of steering related info in the Tech Docs section of the website.

Regards, David

David and Janet Ribbans - Oka 148
Oka148 profile here.
Visit our technical and travel blogs: here.
Last Edit: 12 Nov 2015 05:53 by dandjcr.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OKA in Africa

More
13 Nov 2015 21:00 #5 by Rust and dust
Rust and dust replied the topic: Steering box failure in Africa…can anybody help?
If it is the steering box leaking firstly you need to know if it is a Kirkby bishop or trw if you could take a photo this would be helpful

More
17 Nov 2015 21:29 #6 by Fundionafrica
Fundionafrica replied the topic: Steering box failure in Africa…can anybody help?
Hi Guys

Sorry…stress is causing me buggerup!! it is the steering BOX that failed not the pump

More
17 Nov 2015 21:58 #7 by dandjcr
Brett, if the steering box is leaking from the top seal, it's a relatively easy fix.

See this post and my comments earlier for more info.

Oka148 profile here.

More
10 Jun 2016 15:04 - 10 Jun 2016 15:11 #8 by OKA in Africa
OKA in Africa replied the topic: Steering box failure in Africa…can anybody help?
Hello OKA owners,

since the first post of Fundionafrica the steering box could not be repaired properly. More than half a dozen of mechanics have tried to seal/repair the steering box but failed. Now, many months later and several thousand dollars later the OKA is off the road again.

I am trying to help Fundionafrica with advise how to solve this problem quickly and hope some of you can assist.

A) I am trying to find out which steering box model is giving the problem and have attached some pictures. Anybody knows which make and model this is?
Any body knows were to get a new one (or second hand)?

B) Are there any alternatives were to get the box, e.g. like sourcing this box out of an other vehicle (I did read that they might be in some older Ford F models)?

C) Is there an alternative, e.g. putting another box in? What kind of modifications would be needed? I found some info on modifications on this forum topic but the pictures are missing http://www.byles.net/old/www.oka4wd.com/may-2012/80-power-steering-box

Pictures of damaged steering box (MAKE & MODEL unknown):

Thank you and best regards

OKA #327 in Africa
www.oka4wd.com/forum/members-vehicles-pu...47-oka-327-in-africa
Attachments:
Last Edit: 10 Jun 2016 15:11 by OKA in Africa.

More
10 Jun 2016 16:02 #9 by OKAPETE
OKAPETE replied the topic: Steering box failure in Africa…can anybody help?
Hi Oka in Africa. Those pics you posted of the steering box are of a KIRBY BISHOP steering box. The KIRBY BISHOP was fitted to the XT Oka and if Im correct you have LT 327,which should be fitted with a TRW TAS 30 steering box,so that doesnt make sense. Regardless of what it is I suggest you contact Paul Nott at East Coast Oka spares as he has recoed units in stock. You will find his details elsewhere on the site. Hope this helps.
Blessings. Pete.

Chaplain. Won x One Chaplaincy.
AM SAE-A. AAFRB.

Oka 224. 363. 383.

More
10 Jun 2016 16:13 #10 by Peter and Sandra OKA 374
Peter and Sandra OKA 374 replied the topic: Steering box failure in Africa…can anybody help?
Pete it isn't his Oka that is in trouble it is one of the stretched ones with the landrover doors and safari type body.

OKA 374 LT Van, converted to camper/motorhome,
400ah Lithiums, 1100w solar, diesel cooking heating and HWS,
Cummins 6BT, Allison 6 speed auto, Nissan transfer.

More
10 Jun 2016 17:51 #11 by Joseph Baz
Joseph Baz replied the topic: Steering box failure in Africa…can anybody help?

OKA in Africa wrote: Hello OKA owners,

since the first post of Fundionafrica the steering box could not be repaired properly. More than half a dozen of mechanics have tried to seal/repair the steering box but failed. Now, many months later and several thousand dollars later the OKA is off the road again.

I am trying to help Fundionafrica with advise how to solve this problem quickly and hope some of you can assist.

A) I am trying to find out which steering box model is giving the problem and have attached some pictures. Anybody knows which make and model this is?
Any body knows were to get a new one (or second hand)?

B) Are there any alternatives were to get the box, e.g. like sourcing this box out of an other vehicle (I did read that they might be in some older Ford F models)?

C) Is there an alternative, e.g. putting another box in? What kind of modifications would be needed? I found some info on modifications on this forum topic but the pictures are missing http://www.byles.net/old/www.oka4wd.com/may-2012/80-power-steering-box

Pictures of damaged steering box (MAKE & MODEL unknown):

The Kirby bishop box was used on RHD F trucks from 81 till 92,not the best box around,you can get retrofit kits for the TRW from Paul Nott or OKA parts.
Parts for the Kirby try Dennis Frawley power steering services +61 413 125 175 or +61 7 3284 4427 email
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Best of luck.
Cheers,Joe

More
10 Jun 2016 22:09 - 11 Jun 2016 06:00 #12 by dandjcr
I've located the missing photos from this forum topic of the upgrade which were originally posted by David Hallandal before the new website was established.

Regards, DJR

Forum Home > OKA Maintenance > Power Steering Box

Moose2367
Does anyone know the model of the Kirby Bishop power steering box in the XT?

Mine has a lot of wear and slop in it, so would like to replace it. I know of the TRW upgrade to the TAS-30, but at almost a quarter of what i paid for the truck it is not going to happen.
I have been told the Kirby Bishop box is from the early F-Series F250, but don't know the year or if it was L/H or R/H drive model.
With the abundance of the F250 here and the USA it would be financially viable to buy a few and if/when they need replacing/overhauling to have a few spares on hand.
All i have been able to get info wise is from mine, which has 9792 cast into the body and D3 stamped on a machined surface.
I have rung Allan and they only have the TAS-30. I have also rung Bishop Steering, but they have no data so far on which box it was, they were bought by a German company in 2007 and most old info was thrown out.
Any help would be appreciated.
May 29, 2012 at 10:50 AM Flag Quote & Reply

T & D Morris
Hi
The XT manual calls the box an A50920. ( Exchange 25.004 )
A company in Perth that overhauls the boxes ( just called them to check ) is South side Power Steering 08 93550188.
Terry
--
May 29, 2012 at 3:01 PM Flag Quote & Reply

joseph baz
Luke,see if you can find even a second hand TAS 30,the kirby is a shit of a box and nothing but headaches IMO a waste of money.
Cheers Joe
May 29, 2012 at 4:24 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Moose2367
Thanks guys. I can get an upgraded box the same as the Kirby, but it's a custom job and going to cost $2250.
I've rung a lot of places to try and find a TAS30, to no avail, except Allan at Oka spares, but that means spending the $4000 odd for the kit plus the labour to fit it. Having the cab off will make it easier and probably quicker though.
If anyone hears of a second hand TAS30, and has a pic of the brackets required etc, and would be interested in parting with it, let me know.
I am also thinking of adapting a Hino, Isuzu or similar, last resort though.
I'll do a search for part number from the manual, thanks Terry.
May 29, 2012 at 4:51 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Dandj
Moose, when I was researching steering boxes to repair a top seal leak, I found the TAS30 to be a fairly rare beast, manufactured in Spain and fitted to only a few makes of small European trucks.
Other TRW TAS series steering boxes are more common and you might find another s/h or remanufactured model (eg TAS40) more readily available, if it can do the same job.
This TRW Spec Sheet and TRW Service Manual is a good place to start your search. This maintenance guide is a European document and shows the complete TAS range (including the TAS30), and there are other useful documents on this TRW website.
--
David and Janet Ribbans, Oka 148

May 30, 2012 at 7:20 AM Flag Quote & Reply

David Hallandal
I got my TRW Steering Box through
Australian Importers: Complete Steering Australia Pty.Ltd. Phone 03 9369 2659
New TRW Steering Boxes and Rebuilds (To NT Standard)

--
David Hallandal
OKA-131 Home Page
OKA Camper Trailer
XT and LT Service Manuals on CD For Sale
20mm Spring Hanger Upgrade Kits For Sale

May 30, 2012 at 7:38 AM Flag Quote & Reply

David Hallandal

Old and New Steering Boxes

Removal of Old Bracket

Bracket to be Removed

Ready to install no brackets

New Bracket

Need an Extra hole here

Brackets being fitted

2 Brackets bolted to the steering box ready to align

All tacked in

End result Fitted
Hope this helps.

Oka148 profile here.
Last Edit: 11 Jun 2016 06:00 by dandjcr.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Joseph Baz, OKA in Africa